Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
University of Minnesota
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 42/86
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 17/31
Pre-race routine:

Indoor triathlon, with a 4:10 start. I went about my day normally, wondering what the right thing was to eat. Couldn't decide so have my normal Sunday lunch - fast food!
Event warmup:

We have 5 minutes between the end of the last group swim and when our time started. So, I swam just enough to check my goggles.
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1250 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

The U of MN pool is very nice. We swim on the 25 yard side, they split it in half with rec swimmers on the 25 meter side. It's a great temp, etc.

I decided to wear new goggles (dumb) that I hadn't really tested if the fit was right. I attempted to do it while waiting and then a quick water test, but they were a bit leaky. Then, my swim cap slid off! That's a new one. I had to stop WAY more than I wanted, which is a bummer because the swim was going well otherwise. I was on pace with my lanemate and she ended up with 50 more yards. I think I could have squeezed in 100 if I had been able to stay focused. Shoot!
What would you do differently?:

Wear the old goggles and keep my wits together!
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Everyone gets 10 minutes. I wore my sports bra under my suit which helped with this, but made the swim harder. Won't do that again. I felt like a ton of water got trapped, feeling like a sail. Otherwise I appreciated the extra time, and even got in a quick rinse in the shower.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.32 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, the old gym bikes. Choose your own level, so I went with 8. I just tried to keep it above 16 mph at least, if not 17, which I did pretty well with. This is just SO BORING.
Transition 2
  • 10m
Comments:

Just walked over to the treadmills. Plenty of time for bathroom, a quick snack, etc. I got onto the mill in the last few minutes and walked so I would be moving once the timer started.
Run
  • 30m
  • 3.04 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I started at 6.2 mph until I got a side ache. Then I went between 6.1 and 6, depending on my breathing. I went as hard as I could, it's just a hard thing to run on a strange treadmill in the extreme indoor heat/humidity! I felt like I should have earned a lot more distances. But, I kept a good attitude and punched up the speed at the end for a strong finish.
Post race
Event comments:

I enjoyed myself this time, more than usual. I had no expectations.

We ended up in a later heat than desired; we thought it would be a lot hotter as the day went on. Turned out it was no different than a morning heat. If/when I come back, I'd do 10 am or thereabouts. It would be nice to not get up early, but be done in time for lunch!

Last updated: 2012-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:00 | 1250 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: