General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tip: Choosing Your Primary Care Physician Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4613091

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Tip: Choosing Your Primary Care Physician

I'm lucky that my PCP is a long-time runner and triathlete.  Been going to him for over 25 years and I'm starting to worry about finding someone else when he retires in a few years.

My orthopedic surgeon (who I seem to visit all too often) is an accomplished masters swimmer.  Ironically, he has been asking me for advice about triathlons and running, which tells me he's never bothered to check my race results...

Mark 

2013-02-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4613708

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

djake80 - 2013-02-07 9:23 PM This might be a stupid question but I'm looking for a new doctor and I was wondering how you would find out if they are athletes or specialize in athletes?  My last doctor's office is extremely non customer friendly so I'm looking.  

Call the general appointment number, ask to speak to the department manager.  Explain what you are looking for and see who they recommend.

I couldn't agree more with the OP.  I had some arch issues, and got lectured on the evils of running (only 8-12 miles a week at the time...)

2013-02-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4613708

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Edited for not reading the 2nd page of the thread before asking a question already answered six times.  Foot in mouth

Edited by jmhpsu93 2013-02-09 10:53 AM
2013-02-09 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4613091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Unfortunately it may not matter sometimes.  I was referred to a local orthapedist for my third bout of achilles tendonitis in 4 years.  They see a lot of athletes including several from a local tri club. 

When I called they told me I needed to get an MRI before the first appointment.  When I asked why they explained that it was needed to tell if the tendon had ruptured.  I dedclined and told them I would get it afterwards if they felt it was necesary.  Two minuites into the appointment they told me what I already knew, it was NOT ruptured and I did not need an MRI. 

The point is, even though they do treat a lot of athletes, some have a standard protocol they follow regardless of circumstances.  I learned very quickly that I was just another billing opportunity with no regard for what I do or my experience with the issue.

I know we interviewed several doctors when our first child was born to fnd a pediatrician we were comfortable with.  My suggestion here would be the same.  Most good doctors will have that meeting with you at no charge, but on thier schedule.  It never hurts to ask.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tip: Choosing Your Primary Care Physician Rss Feed  

of 2