Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 31s
Overall Rank = 35/2068
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/?
Pre-race routine:

I was in San Antonio for work, and knew I would be there over the weekend, so I signed up for this race just for fun. I'm training for a May marathon, but my fitness isn't great right now, so the plan was for this to be a long run for the marathon. My wife was doing it as well, she decided to come with me for the first week of my trip as a chance to get away from the -10s we had been having in Iowa. We did packet pickup early on Saturday, and that went pretty smoothly. The we headed up to Austin to visit one of my wife's friends. It was a pretty good time, but we were on our feet for most of the day and did a lot of walking, so probably not ideal for the day before a race, but this was just for fun so no big deal. Got to bed around 9 and slept really well. Up at 5:30 to get ready and get to the Alamodome in time to be sure we would get a parking space. Hit the portajohns and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

Did some light jogging for maybe 0.5 miles and stretched a bit. I've had tight hips and hamstrings for a while now so that helped with that.
Run
  • 1h 37m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Lining up for the start proved to be a big challenge. 15 minutes before the race the corral was already full and overflowing, so I had to start way in the back and work through people for the first mile. For the future the corral should probably be a little bigger for a race of this size. So my first mile was a little on the slow side, but no big deal just settled into a rhythm. My usual hip tightness started around mile 4 and lasted until mile 10 or so. I really wish I could figure out what's causing this and try to do something about it. It really slowed me down in those miles, and I had to stop and stretch it a few times. The last 3 miles were all sub 7 though, so it was a strong finish.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out something that would help with my hip, and get in the corral EARLY!
Post race
Warm down:

I was supposed to go 15 miles for my long, so I did some easy jogging for a couple miles, then ran out to see my wife finish. Had some really good breakfast tacos after that, then headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hip injury

Event comments:

I really enjoyed my trip to San Antonio! Hopefully I'll be back again someday!

Last updated: 2013-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:31 | 13.1 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 35/2068
Performance: Average
Course: Big loop around downtown San Antonio with one longish out and back near the end. Some nice rolling hills mixed in and ran right by the Alamo early in the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-02-08 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: HERO-THON Half Marathon

2013-02-08 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4614131

Expert
Subject: RE: HERO-THON Half Marathon
Nice race! Maybe your IT band. Mine likes to manifest itself in my hip.
2013-02-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4614131

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: RE: HERO-THON Half Marathon
Oh yeah I've had the displeasure of bad ITBS in the past...luckily I don't think that's the case this time.  More of a hip flexor thing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HERO-THON Half Marathon Rss Feed