Trail Nerds
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 55s
Overall Rank = 218/263
Age Group = 0-99
Age Group Rank = 70/92
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to KC with hubby at noon on Friday. We had a nice dinner at Panera Bread and enjoyed our time together alone. Packet Pickup was at our hotel, so I was able to see a lot of the runners. I felt totally outclassed. Even my husband mentioned that these are serious runners. None of them looked very casual. I don't consider myself a casual runner, either, but I'm definitely not "serious" like these guys/gals are serious.

We got to bed pretty early, for us, and I slept pretty well. I started waking up at 3:30 every 30 minutes or so, just nervous that I wasn't going to get to the race on time. We woke up in plenty of time. I showered and we had breakfast in the lobby -- I had oatmeal, coffee, and 1/4 of a chocolate waffle with peanut butter on it. That was super yummy.
Event warmup:

The race director told the 10 mile people to be at the race between 7:15 and 8:00, so we aimed for 7:30. It was way too early. I don't know what he was thinking. The 50k and 20 mile people took off at 8:00, and we 10 mile people just basically stood around and froze. It was so cold. Not a good way to start. Next time, I won't arrive so early.
Run
  • 2h 29m 55s
  • 10.35 miles
  • 14m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at the back of the pack. I need to stop doing that. I got behind a bunch of people who were, evidently, planning to walk every up hill. I didn't want to do that, but because the trail was single track, I couldn't get around them right away. In the grand scheme of the race, this probably didn't cost me a lot of time, but it was still frustrating.

During the Triangle portion, I got behind a group of 10 people. It was great. This was probably one of the best parts of the race for me. We had a lot of fun. I told the runners I was with that we probably looked like a conga line snaking through the trees, single file, all running. The pace was perfect and it was fun to be with people. We also saw a herd (?) of deer run through the forest. It was a really beautiful part of the course.

We ran a few more miles, and spread out quite a bit. I was a good Samaritan in this portion because a woman running in front of me, missed a turn. At first I thought I was wrong, but I soon realized that she was going the wrong way, I called up to her, "Hey! I think we're supposed to turn here." She was horrified. She said, "OMG, I never would have noticed; I would have just kept going and wondered why I wasn't running into anyone." Maybe the trail gods would look after me for my good deed. I think they did.

"Fall Down Hill," was just that. I didn't fall, but I could see how someone could. The RD had posted signs all along that section saying, "Slow Down." It was steep, and muddy, with a very sharp turn at the bottom. In his pre race email the RD said, "Slow down when it says to 'Slow Down'; otherwise, you could have a section of the trail named after you." Seriously. You would go flying right off the hill and down into a valley.

I think I may have fallen at "Nicely Broken Leg Turn" or maybe at "Speed Demon Ridge." We running along the side of a ridge, and the mud was deep. There was no traction at all. My left foot just slid right out from under me, to the side, and I kept slipping down, onto my left side. There was no problem, and I jumped right up, but I got a little dirty.

I think it was at (or near) "Misery Ridge" where we came to the first rope. I turned a corner and was faced with an incredibly steep, muddy up hill section with a rope. The only way up was to hold onto the rope and pull myself up, while my feet were slipping the whole way. I thought one was bad, but then we came to a second. Going down after those sections was not easy, either. But I managed both without completely falling.

During the early part of the race, I kept hearing people say, "Wow, this is bad. The last two miles are going to be impossible." I didn't believe them because I didn't see how the trail could get much worse. I was wrong.

During the last two miles, we ran the "Three Hills Section." It is as described. The hills are steep, muddy, and no ropes. It was just slow slogging all the way up. I thought I should be able to run down, but that didn't really work because of the rocks. I ran as fast as I could, but often had to slow down to climb off rocks.

After climbing the third hill, we came to a flat limestone top, which was great to run on because it wasn't muddy, but I was also a little fearful that I would slip. I didn't. Hurray!

There was also a water crossing in there somewhere (the whole race is kind of blurring together now, just two days after). The water wasn't deep, so I decided to run through it with the hope that I could clean off some of the mud from my shoes. I think that worked, but then I was very quickly back in the mud, so it was a short lived reprieve.

I carried my own water (just an 8 oz bottle) because I didn't want to have to waste time at the aid stations. I made a critical error at the Dam Hill Aid Station. I reached that station (maybe at the 5.5-6 mile mark) in 1:25. I was pretty pleased with that, and not realizing how tough the next four miles were going to be, I elected not to eat anything or refill my water. I should have grabbed something. I can usually run in training for 1:45 without food, but at that point, I am ready to eat something. The next aid station was at about mile 8, so I should have been okay, except the trail deteriorated, and I got tired. At one point, I was running on a relatively flat section, maybe just a little incline, and I stopped running and started walking. There was no reason. I told myself to start running again, and I did, but I think I was really losing energy in my legs because of the lack of food.

When I hit the 8 mile aid station at a little over 2 hours, I was desperate for some quick energy. The worker offered a snickers bar, but that kind of made my stomach roll, so he offered this muffin thing that was amazing. I must find out what these were and make them -- they had all kinds of grains in them, maybe sunflower seeds, nuts, mini M&Ms. They were just incredible. I also drank a cup of Gatorade, but still didn't fill my water. That was probably a mistake, as I didn't have water at all for the last mile of the race.

It took about 10 minutes for the muffin to get into my system. I had to keep talking to myself the whole time, "I know you aren't feeling too energetic right now, but you will be okay. Give it five minutes or so. You will be fine." And I was. I felt back to my old self with about 1.5 miles to go. Still tired and ready to be finished, but I felt strong enough to get it done.

What would you do differently?:

Eat something at mile 6.

Start in the middle, not at the back.
Post race
Warm down:

Hubby greeted me at the finish, showed me where the Lentil soup was, got me some hot cocoa, helped me sign up for a massage, carted all of my junk to the car while I got my massage. And then I started to be really cold. It was still barely 40 out, probably closer to 37. I hadn't noticed it while running. I had even taken off my gloves and jacket and had considered taking off my ear warmers.

But once I stopped running, I was freezing. I was actually still cold all day yesterday. I'm only just now beginning to feel like I'm warm again.

My left knee was bothering me a bit, so the massage guy worked my left IT band. Ouch. But it hasn't been bothering me at all since.

Every single thing on my body, except my face, hurt yesterday. Upper body, back, and hands from pulling on the rope; legs and feet from running. Today, just my quads are screaming at me.

Age group was 0-92, but in my normal age group of 50-59, I was 3 out of 5. Even though I was aiming for 2:00 - 2:15 for this race, I am satisfied with my placement.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mud and gunk.

Event comments:

I will be back. It was amazing. This is allegedly the largest trail race in Kansas, and I believe it. There were hundreds of people out there. We were not kind to that trail, and I feel bad about that.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:55 | 10.35 miles | 14m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 70/92
Overall: 218/263
Performance: Below average
Course: http://psychowyco.com/RunTotoRunMap.pdf http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=495345 If the links above work, you can see what the route was -- a 10.3 mile loop around a county lake. Muddy, muddy, muddy.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-02-11 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run

2013-02-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4617527

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run

That's got to be the best race name ever.

Felicia, you are such a striking lady. Great photos ... and soup. Congratulations on gutting out a very tough race with wise execution at the tail end of an illness, and THIRD PLACE WOOHOO YOU ARE A CHAMPION!

2013-02-11 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
WOW!!!! You are a Rock Star! Great job in some challenging conditions, and as you mentioned earlier, you learned a thing or two. I think the BOP start is something I need to be aware of during trail runs. I have now read this a couple of times and I hopefully will take this with me. So, thank you very much for that!
2013-02-11 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Felicia, that sounds like an amazing race!  Hope all your parts are feeling better today.  Great job!
2013-02-11 1:55 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

OMG, the names of the trail sections were great!!  A bit intimidating ("Nicely Broken Leg Turn", "Falls Down Hill") but humorous!

Mud!  No injury-inducing tumbles!  Helping a wayward racer!  Muffins!  Finishing a tough race!  Massage!  Soup! All good stuff right there.  Your 3rd pic cracks me up; it's as though you just spotted a Sasquatch - your face has a somewhat alarmed or surprised look to it.

Congrats, Felicia, job well done!

2013-02-11 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4617745

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You rocked it!  I love the pictures!

Must share muffin recipe :-)

2013-02-11 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice write-up! It sounds like a tough race. Good job.
2013-02-11 8:55 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Congrats! Sounds like you put down a very solid race. Love the names of the trail sections.
2013-02-12 2:49 AM
in reply to: #4618328

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Great race Felicia!  Sounds like a lot of fun.  
2013-02-12 4:09 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
That sounds like a really fun race.  Nice job out there
2013-02-12 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Way to push through it....sounds like a crazy race!  Love the pictures

2013-02-12 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4617552

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TriAya - 2013-02-11 12:09 PM

That's got to be the best race name ever.

Felicia, you are such a striking lady. Great photos ... and soup. Congratulations on gutting out a very tough race with wise execution at the tail end of an illness, and THIRD PLACE WOOHOO YOU ARE A CHAMPION!

Well, yes, if by "striking" you mean old, cold, and tired.

I need to stop trying to smile. It just comes out wrong. So, so wrong.

2013-02-12 2:56 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Isn't their lentil soup so awesome?? Great job out there!

And, about being not so kind to the trails, I believe that race organization gives back a portion of proceeds to trail restoration. Or at least they used to. 

2013-02-14 11:49 AM

User image

Seattle

Great race Felicia! You did this without trail shoes, no? That's tough!

I want the lentil soup recipe Smile

2013-02-14 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Come here my little pretty ...... and bring your dog!.................Run TOTO Run!

Nice work out there, way to grind it out!  I'll have to try that one some day.

2013-02-15 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City

Way to go KansasMom. I ran that day too, 20 miles of mud. Loved it! The Trail Nerds (Ben Holmes) put on an outstanding event.

Don't worry too much about those trails, they're bridal trails and never get any maintenance. And I hear by the 3rd lap they were packing nicely.  The single track that the Trail Masons build out there is a little different story. And, nicer running. Glad you had fun, hope you come up for Mrs. Robinsons Romp next month or maybe Psummer Psycho.

This reminded me to write a race report too.....

2013-02-15 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI

Felicia! Awesome!

I LOVE the name of this run, the name of the hills and your GO GET 'EM attitude!!!  Great job out there on a challenging course.  Ropes?! Really?! You're so tough!!

Love the pics too - thanks for sharing, sista!  Well done!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run Rss Feed