General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 50 year young newbie in Heber Springs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-12 6:57 PM

User image

New user

Subject: 50 year young newbie in Heber Springs
Started training for the Xterra race in Eureka Springs June 9th. I find the information on this site to be most helpful. I have been training for 3 weeks and so far I am loving the positive changes to my health and mental attitude. I am blessed to have such a great training facility in Heber with the new indoor pool. Swimming is my strength as I swam competitively and surfed most of my life. Mountain biked a bit when I lived in Big Bear Lake in California. I am weakest on the run. I would like to find a knowledgeable tri oriented running store in my area (Little Rock) for proper fit and quality shoes. Any ideas? Also, are there any tri groups in my area that would have patience with someone new to this sport? Tips are always welcome. (I have picked up a number of books catering to people new to tri's)
Cheers to all.
Jory

2013-02-13 3:30 AM
in reply to: #4619844

Arkansas
Subject: RE: 50 year young newbie in Heber Springs
There is a running store in the Bowman Curve shopping center. The name escapes me at the moment but they should be able to help you with all your running equipment needs. They will also be able to put you in touch with so groups to train with.
2013-02-13 9:32 AM

User image

Master

Here is the link to a tri club here in AR:   http://www.allinmultisport.com/

My favorite running store is Go!Running in the Heights.  It's just off Cantrell and they are super friendly.

2013-02-14 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4620506

User image

New user

Thank you.
2013-02-20 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Easy Runner in West Little Rock, in my opinion has best selection. I need a narrow and is only place in central Ark that I can find them. There is also a good running store in downtown Conway, I don't remember name though.

My training has fallen off and I need to pick it up. I normally swim in Greers about once a week during summer. My parents live in Heber. We need to hook up.

Also a road tri in Oct. in Heber. you need to get ready for that one.

Edited by dixrp 2013-02-20 9:18 PM
2013-02-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4630993

User image

New user

Thanks for the heads up on the shoes. Just completed my 4th week of training and feeling great. Icy rain today so training is on hold. Good time for some basic in-home squats, push-ups, etc... I will PM you my contact information and when you are up this way please give me a call. Thanks again.
Jory

2013-02-21 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

Hi all - I actually live in NWA (Fayetteville), but we have a lake home on Greers Ferry...near Bee Branch.  I am always looking for decent road biking in the area (Heber, Choctaw, Edgemont, Bee Branch)...any ideas?  I usually drag my trainer with me to the lakehouse and ride on the deck...but would love to know if there are any roads that aren't gravel, aren't overrun with fracking trucks that DO NOT pay attention or care about exercisers (I've had to dive into the ditch several times while running, no way I'm clipping in on a bike)...any organized group rides?  Group rides help when it comes to traffic and fracking trucks.

Tam

2013-02-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4630993

User image

Master

dixrp - 2013-02-20 9:16 PM Easy Runner in West Little Rock, in my opinion has best selection. I need a narrow and is only place in central Ark that I can find them. There is also a good running store in downtown Conway, I don't remember name though. My training has fallen off and I need to pick it up. I normally swim in Greers about once a week during summer. My parents live in Heber. We need to hook up. Also a road tri in Oct. in Heber. you need to get ready for that one.

Ohhh, that hill when you come across the levy is the mental picture I have of that tri.  I've only done it twice though.  Love Greers as well.  We are there every weekend in the summer.

2013-02-21 10:42 AM

User image

Regular
NWA

That hill is my nemesis!  But, I do enjoy that Tri...this past year it seemed a little less exciting, but I think it was the weather...and the swim was much closer to the marina docks and boats (=BOAT FUEL smell and fuel/oil in the water) due to the drought...which I really didnt like as much.  But, its still a great little race venue.

Tam

2013-02-21 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4631611

User image

New user

Tam,
I do all of my bike training on the mountain bike at this point. Looking to pick up a cyclocross bike as it lends itself to the roads (paved/gravel) around Heber. PM me if you would be interested in a riding partner when you are in town. Have a great day.
Jory
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 50 year young newbie in Heber Springs Rss Feed