General Discussion Triathlon Talk » experiencing foot pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-13 7:37 AM

User image

New user

West St. Paul
Subject: experiencing foot pain
Yesterday I went for a short run, only 1.8 miles (since this is my recovery week).  Shortly after getting home I started experiencing a pain in the middle of the outside of my left foot.  It only seems to hurt when I put pressure on it, and it kind of feels like a cramp.  Any ideas as to what is going on, or what I can do about it?

2013-02-13 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4620260

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: experiencing foot pain

Could be a touch of plantar fascitis coming on.

How are your shoes? This could be a sign that they need replacing.

2013-02-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4620284

User image

New user

West St. Paul
My shoes have about 200 miles on them.  I'm new to this and only have one tri under my belt, so I guess I'm not sure how often I should be replacing them.
2013-02-13 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
bjones101071 - 2013-02-13 8:37 AM Yesterday I went for a short run, only 1.8 miles (since this is my recovery week).  Shortly after getting home I started experiencing a pain in the middle of the outside of my left foot.  It only seems to hurt when I put pressure on it, and it kind of feels like a cramp.  Any ideas as to what is going on, or what I can do about it?

This does not sound like Plantar Fasciitis. First, PF tends to ease up once you've gotten things stretched out. You'll often notice it first thing in the morning when you get out of bed ... not necessarily after a run.

Second, PF wouldn't tend to present itself as a pain to the outside of the foot. The PF stretches from your heel, underneath the arch, and then attaches to the ball of your foot. If you place your foot across your leg and pull your big toe back, you'll see the PF along the bottom of your foot.

That being said, I don't have any real thoughts on your pain. I just think you can rule out PF. But I'm just some guy on the interwebs. 
2013-02-13 11:26 AM

User image

New user

West St. Paul
The pain level is increasing as the morning goes on.  And now there is some bruising starting to appear.  
2013-02-13 12:04 PM

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Could also be peroneal tendinitis. Look it up. I experienced the same symptoms you described for a few days after a long run.

RICE and calf stretches helped to get rid of it in about a week in my case.

2013-02-13 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4620814

User image

Elite
Cleveland

roserc - 2013-02-13 1:04 PM Could also be peroneal tendinitis. Look it up. I experienced the same symptoms you described for a few days after a long run.

RICE and calf stretches helped to get rid of it in about a week in my case.

+1 on this thought.  I've been fighting it on and off for a few weeks now.  Kinda feels like I'm constantly standing on a small rock just behind the ball of the foot in line with the pinkie toe with the pain wrapping back and up the outside of the foot.

2013-02-14 8:41 PM

I fought the same thing I found that freezing water in soda bottle 20oz then I could take it out of freezer couple days a week and roll foot over it with light pressure made it feel better. Took a couple days but goes away. New shoes are tnhe first thing I look at when new pains start to develope and I have not increased mileage or possibly injured something in another way. Good luck
2013-03-26 10:54 AM

Most people with plantar fasciitis and heel spur have heel pain when they take their first steps after they get out of bed or sit for a long time. I would suggest to check your shoes first because some shoes are different in shapes for our particular sort of physical activity and can cause cruel foot tribulations beside this stretching exercise to the muscles of both feet can help reduce the pain. If the pain does not go away in few days then you should better confer with your doctor without delay.

Or you can consult to foot solutions trainers. Their experts will create a customized comfortable shoe with arch support for your unique feet and lifestyle.

2013-03-26 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

I had something that sounds very similar...same place...thought maybe some sort of cramp...felt like something was in my shoe.  Mine tended to occur after 6-7 miles, sometimes resolve, sometimes not.  Via Dr. Google, I suspected pernoeal tendonitis, and it may have been.  Came out of my marathon with bruising along the side of my foot (kind of like I had sprained it, but I had not) and more pain a little further back under the outside of the ankle.  Finally went to the podiatrist.  Xray revealed a small stress fracture in my cuboid bone.  Really surprised me because it was already feeling better by the time I went in.  Continuing to run on it would not have been smart and could have set me back for a lot longer than it has.  All that to say, I'm a believer in getting things like that checked out now, so my advice would be to see a good podiatrist, sports med, or orthopedic doc. 

2013-03-26 2:41 PM

+1 on the peroneal tendinitis, i had this problem while trainning for my first Marathon. It was a managable pain most of the time but it would get really bad after a long run.

It was funny how it was solved, im sure it was a miracle. I had this problem for the last 3 weeks of my trainning i had to do the 20 miller on an elytical machine, Haha. the cooldown 3k run 2 days before the marathon i still had some pain. The day at the packet pick up they were showing me one of those balance bracelets and i stood on my "bad foot" felt something move/click and next day for the marathon the pain was gone, when i finished there was no pain and it never came back.

I stoped running for 3 weeks because everytime i ran the pain would increase dramaticaly. All tendons are tricky, rest if needed before it gets worse.

I have NO medicine knowladge, justg my experience, hope it helps.

2013-03-26 2:59 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Gotta put my $0.02 in here.  My metatarsal stress fracture made itself known to me as a feeling of an intense cramp in my foot.  I continued to run on it for another month until the pain was unbearable.  Get this thing checked out ASAP so you don't get de-railed from training for long.
2013-03-26 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

to me it sounds like peroneal tendinitis or metatarsal stress fracture, without knowing the exact spot of your pain i can't say for certain. the closer to the front of your foot, the more likely a stress fracture.

don't take either lightly. i missed 3 months of training to peroneal tendinitis in both my feet.

Edited by Clempson 2013-03-26 3:20 PM
2013-03-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4675466

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

RunningYogini - 2013-03-26 3:59 PM Gotta put my $0.02 in here.  My metatarsal stress fracture made itself known to me as a feeling of an intense cramp in my foot.  I continued to run on it for another month until the pain was unbearable.  Get this thing checked out ASAP so you don't get de-railed from training for long.

Most likely it's one of the aforementioned itis' that RICE therapy should help (tight wrap, stay of it as much as possible, frozen bottle, rolling on a hard small ball...).  Can't rule out the Yogini which could be Jones' Fx (which can be a real problem) related to the area you're describing.  Many of these type of Fxs won't show up on Xray for about 4-5 days.  I'd recommend RICE therapy.  If it's still paining you in a few days go see ortho.

2013-03-26 4:49 PM

User image

Pro

sorry.  can't help.

this is apparently the only running injury that I have yet to personally suffer from.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » experiencing foot pain Rss Feed