General Discussion Race Reports! » R & R Bicycle Firecracker Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

R & R Bicycle Firecracker Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
R & R Bicycle
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got everything ready the night before. I decided at the last minute to decorate my race belt with red, white, & blue ribbons that made sort of a hula skirt, and put a curly bow on my hat for the 4th of July. Probably spent too much time doing that (decided to do it on a whim) rather than sleeping. Got to bed at 10pm, and woke up at 3:45am. Got to the UA and parked in our usual spot in the Zone 1 lot not far from the pool. Racked my bike with a bunch of other Tucson Tri Girls and set up my area. Then I watched the kid's race before heading down to the pool. Last year I was almost late for my wave, so this year I was down there early. Last year I was #63. This year I was #71. I'm getting a bit faster on the swim. ;-)
Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took it real easy on the swim, since I had no warm-up. It was kind of a strange feeling, as I was anxious being in the race, but was holding back to not blow up. For some reason I felt like I wasn't getting enough air. All I wanted was for the swim to be over. I don't care for the serpentine format.

I caught and passed the guy in front of me, and got passed by only 2 guys. My estimated time was 16:30, and I finished in 16:41 (by my watch). Last year's swim time at this race was 17:20, so I improved there. I could hear the Tri Girls yelling and cheering on the pool deck, so that was cool.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. ;-)
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Ran down the pool deck to the outside, up the sidewalk, and to my transition area. There was some guy standing by my area, on the other side of the bar. Before the race I always put my socks on, then pull them off over themselves so that they are kind of half way inside out, then tuck them in my shoes. Anyways, when I get to my shoes all I have to do is stick my toe in the sock, then pull half the sock on so it works out well. The guy standing there said "That's the coolest sock trick I've ever seen!" :-) Shoes on, glasses on, helmet on, and off trotting with the bike. Ran to the dismount line and did my flying cyclocross bike mount and was on my way.

14 seconds slower in T1 than last year, but my rack was further away. The rack I used last year was now the kid's rack, so nothing I can do about that.
Bike
  • 38m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the course and started spinning my legs up. I merged into bike traffic, and unfortunately behind a lady who was almost the same speed as me. I always worry about the drafting stuff, so I like to be either passing or being passed, but not stuck behind someone. I was faster on all the downhill stuff and in the corners, and she would catch me on Euclid where it was really rough, and on Speedway where I would be drinking my Gatorade. Euclid was the worst. I seriously thought I was going to get a flat with how rough it was. Anyways, the other lady and I would pass back and forth, but luckily on the start of my 3rd loop she pulled in to start the run, so I was able to enjoy the 3rd loop without worrying about her being there. I always said "good job" to everyone that I passed or passed me, but she never said anything. Oh well. Thanked the cops while I was out there.

I was also riding with a different bike setup. I had had my bike fitted at TriSports.com a few days before, so this was my first ride on the new setup. I definitely need a thinner saddle, because the back of mine isn't letting me scoot back all the way for sit bone support. I know you're not supposed to do anything new on race day, but this wasn't a key race for me, so I wasn't too worried.

Pushed hard on the course trying to beat last year's time of 38:29. I was a little slower, but I didn't push the button on my watch until I was at my transition rack, so that was an extra few seconds. Pretty much the same time as last year.

I came into the transition area, and the volunteer at the bike dismount line stood in the middle of the line, waving his arms at me. So I did my cyclocross dismount a little early to run past him. I swear he was getting ready to tackle me, because I don't slow down much for the dismount and I hit the ground at a full run. Luckily he let me by.

Bike faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Racked my bike and got my bike shoes off and running shoes on. Grabbed my decorated running belt, hat, and water bottle and ran out of T2.

Was faster in T2 this year by 22 seconds over last year's time.

Can you go much faster than this in T2?!?
Run
  • 31m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I was the most worried about the run. Other than the Wed night aquathlons, I've mostly been doing longer runs in preparation for Barb's race. And I'm not a runner, so going fast over 3 miles is not my thing. Last year I averaged just over 10 min/mi on the course, and this year I figured there'd be no way I could hold that.

I ran through the course with my streamers on my belt bouncing away. It made me smile, and the volunteers liked it. So I've decided decorations are worth it for an improved mental attitude. I saw lots of Tri Girl volunteers on the run course, so that was cool. Almost every corner one of them was there, wearing their purple. Amanda even did the running man dance for me. :-)

I got to Mile 1 and looked down at my watch...10:05. WHAT?! I figured the marker was off or something, because I was expecting to look down and see 11 min. I didn't feel like I was running that fast, but was holding a comfortable pace that I thought I could hold for the 3 miles. I got to the Mile 2 marker and looked down and saw 20:06. NO WAY!! I couldn't believe it. I was running the exact same times as last year. This course had to have been marked shorter because there was no way I was going that fast! I was in disbelief. I slowed down a little over the last mile, probably because I was getting a few flesh chills as I ran. Not sure if that was because of the heat or what. As I passed by the optics building I got the best compliment EVER on the course when some guy ran by and said "Great job hottie." What? Who cares...when you're stinky and sweaty and someone says something like that it makes you smile.

I turned the last corner and saw the finish line. There were so many people cheering! I got to the line and Julie (fellow Tri Girl) was there to give me a high five and guide me to the T-shirt area. Got my tag pulled and my shirt, and met Zac at the food area. It was there that the heat and humidity really hit me, maybe because I had stopped running. I drenched my face in cold water, but it seemed to stay hot. Got more water, ate some oranges, and hung out to cheer the fellow Tri Girls on.

Anyways, my run time came out to 31:01, which was 1:06 slower than last year. Overall my time was 20 seconds slower than last year. Almost exactly the same. I was hoping to improve, but at least it's not significantly slower. At least I'm consistent. ;-)

Run faster. :-P
Post race
Warm down:

At the raffle I won some Vanilla CarbBOOM, which is their brand new flavor and was less than 24 hrs old from the factory. So I'll have to try that out.

After the race we hung out to watch the awards and raffle, and Zac and I lounged in the grass. Amazingly, I was tired, but not completely wiped out. Maybe that's where the training paid off. Mostly I was tired from lack of sleep. I know Zac was too. I'm sure it's not fun for the spouses who aren't racing to get up at 4am and sit around in the sun for several hours while their crazy partners are out punishing themselves. But I think we're going to do a few off-road tris as relays in the future, where I'll swim and run and he'll bike. Then next year we can relay the Deuces Wild Xterra together as a relay. That's about all I'll let him do. Tris are my solo thing to have to myself, and I can't loose my valuable pit crew. ;-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work on that running.

Event comments:

Given the heat, these folks really keep everything on time and maximize efficiency to get people on the course early before the heat really turns on. I did a race in PHX earlier this year, and those organizers could have really learned a lot from this race (we started WAY later than necessary). Great staff, great volunteers, and lots of fun for a sprint race in Tucson. It's nice to not have to travel so far once in awhile for a race.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 820 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: TTG tri top, DeSoto tri shorts
Course: Serpentine swim in Hillenbrand pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:45 | 12 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: 4 mile loop. South on Campbell, West on Broadway, North on Euclid, East on Speedway.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:01 | 03 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Winding course through the UA campus.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-02 3:33 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: R & R Bicycle Firecracker Triathlon

2006-07-02 10:18 PM
in reply to: #472253

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: R & R Bicycle Firecracker Triathlon
Great race! 30 second T2? WOW!
2006-07-03 11:57 AM
in reply to: #472253

User image

Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: R & R Bicycle Firecracker Triathlon
Nice job, I was sweating buckets after the run too. It was humid!

Edited by walz 2006-07-03 11:57 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » R & R Bicycle Firecracker Triathlon Rss Feed