General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sign up now or wait? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-15 11:42 AM

Subject: Sign up now or wait?

If you haven't read any of my other posts I'm a total newb in the pool.  I just started 3 weeks ago.   50 yards is a stretch for me right now. 

I really want to do some triathlons this year.  I'm definitely not signing up for a HIM until I know I can swim the distance.   What about sprints in the pool?  Should I pick one and sign up for it?  Is it acceptable to rest after every 50 yards at the side of the pool?  Will I be in anyones way? 

Hopefully in 2-3 months I will be able to swim 300-400 yards continuously.

I just don't want to pressure myself with the swim. 

What do you all think?  What was your first tri experience like?

2013-02-15 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4623863

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Sign up now or wait?

I would go ahead and sign up for a pool swim. it will give you a goal to shoot for.

The danger is minimized in a pool swim because you can  catch a breather at the end if you need and worse case, you can usually stand up or grab the rope if needed.

2013-02-15 11:55 AM

Veteran
Tennessee
As long as you seed youself correctly it shouldn't be a problem. They usually ask you what your estimated time it will take you to finish the swim. IF it takes you 10 minutes then put 10 minutes. They will put you in order from fastest to slowest swimmer.
2013-02-15 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4623885

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I tend to wait on paying for any even as long as I can.  Anything might come up.  Obviously with some prudence.  If the price jumps dramatically or if there is a fear of it selling out, I pay sooner.

2013-02-15 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4623898

User image

Veteran
Kido - 2013-02-15 1:03 PM

I tend to wait on paying for any even as long as I can.  Anything might come up.  Obviously with some prudence.  If the price jumps dramatically or if there is a fear of it selling out, I pay sooner.

I take the same approach.

2013-02-15 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

On the other hand, being registered for an event gives a sense of commitment which I find a helpful motivator for training.

If you can find a pool sprint I would say sign up for it and go for it!  Building up to that distance is very possible.  As others have mentioned you can rest on the walls or grab a rope if you need to.  One of the pool sprints I am doing this year has individual lanes (albeit short, width of pool instead of length) for each swimmer so in an event like this you don't have to worry about getting in anyone's way.

2013-02-15 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
wannatri? - 2013-02-15 12:42 PM

If you haven't read any of my other posts I'm a total newb in the pool.  I just started 3 weeks ago.   50 yards is a stretch for me right now. 

I think that with some regular frequent swimming in the pool, and perhaps a lesson or two, you'll find that you will be doing that distance a LOT sooner than 2-3 months.

I really want to do some triathlons this year.  I'm definitely not signing up for a HIM until I know I can swim the distance.   What about sprints in the pool?  Should I pick one and sign up for it?  Is it acceptable to rest after every 50 yards at the side of the pool?  Will I be in anyones way?

Definitely do not sign up for  HIM until you get better at the swim, but by all means feel comfortable to sign up for a pool swim triathlon.  Yes, it IS acceptable to rest every 50 yards if you feel you need to.  One race I did said that they prefer you didn't hang on the lane lines, but that is an option as well if you need to rest part way down. By the USAT rules, you can also walk and use the bottom in the shallow water, too, if you want to.  You can also switch to backstroke if need be.  You might be in some people's way... in fact, it's bound to happen for sure.  They'll go around you and they'll get over it, don't let that bother you or get in your head. Heck, my first two races were pool swims where I spent what felt like half the race getting log jammed behind people or trying to swim between people to pass them.... it happens, it's just part of a race.

My first tri experience was a cluster of me making every newbie mistake possible, and having a ton of fun and then the exhilaration of knowing that I'd just finished something I wasn't sure I could do.  I'd recommend it to everyone

Good luck!

2013-02-15 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4623885

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

iruptacopula - 2013-02-15 12:55 PM As long as you seed youself correctly it shouldn't be a problem. They usually ask you what your estimated time it will take you to finish the swim. IF it takes you 10 minutes then put 10 minutes. They will put you in order from fastest to slowest swimmer.

The pool swims I've done they tend to ask you your 100 yard time. Just to be clear, this means the AVERAGE 100 yard time you'll swim during the race, NOT the fastest 100 yard time you could possibly swim.  If, for instance, the race is 500 yards and you plan to swim it in 10 minutes, then your 100 yard time is 2:00.  I've been seeded behind people that I've passed in the first length because I they must've put in the fastest 100 yard time they've ever swam.  It causes massive bottlenecks in the pool.

And you can definitely take rests, just make sure that you're buried as deep between the rope and the edge of the pool as you can be because you may have 3 or more people approaching the edge at the same time.  

As to the original question, Sign up, it'll motivate you to keep pushing, and you will be able to swim the distance. It just takes time and practice.  

2013-02-15 1:13 PM
in reply to: #4624005

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
cgregg - 2013-02-15 2:01 PM

I think that with some regular frequent swimming in the pool, and perhaps a lesson or two, you'll find that you will be doing that distance a LOT sooner than 2-3 months.

Definitely do not sign up for  HIM until you get better at the swim, but by all means feel comfortable to sign up for a pool swim triathlon.  Yes, it IS acceptable to rest every 50 yards if you feel you need to.  One race I did said that they prefer you didn't hang on the lane lines, but that is an option as well if you need to rest part way down. By the USAT rules, you can also walk and use the bottom in the shallow water, too, if you want to.  You can also switch to backstroke if need be.  You might be in some people's way... in fact, it's bound to happen for sure.  They'll go around you and they'll get over it, don't let that bother you or get in your head. Heck, my first two races were pool swims where I spent what felt like half the race getting log jammed behind people or trying to swim between people to pass them.... it happens, it's just part of a race.

I'd really hope if you were to do that, in a pool swim, you've signed up with a VERY slow time.  You would basically be taking up the entire lane if you did that, and some races you have to share one lane with both directions.  Training is one thing, but in a race? If you need a rest, then stop, don't take up the entire lane, blocking people going both directions.  

It's one thing to get tired and slow down, staying in freestyle, because you can still get around them, but to switch to a stroke that takes up the space of two or three people is not necessary.  

2013-02-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4623940

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
MOlsen - 2013-02-15 1:23 PM

On the other hand, being registered for an event gives a sense of commitment which I find a helpful motivator for training.

If you can find a pool sprint I would say sign up for it and go for it!  Building up to that distance is very possible.  As others have mentioned you can rest on the walls or grab a rope if you need to.  One of the pool sprints I am doing this year has individual lanes (albeit short, width of pool instead of length) for each swimmer so in an event like this you don't have to worry about getting in anyone's way.

I agree.  I signed up for IMAZ before I could swim a single, nonstop length.  I felt so uncomfortable/HATED the pool at first, I wanted to justify extra time running or biking but knew that I didn't have the luxury or skipping my weak link.

2013-02-15 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4624029

User image

Elite
Cleveland
RookieIM - 2013-02-15 2:13 PM
cgregg - 2013-02-15 2:01 PM

I'd really hope if you were to do that, in a pool swim, you've signed up with a VERY slow time.  You would basically be taking up the entire lane if you did that, and some races you have to share one lane with both directions.  Training is one thing, but in a race? If you need a rest, then stop, don't take up the entire lane, blocking people going both directions.  

It's one thing to get tired and slow down, staying in freestyle, because you can still get around them, but to switch to a stroke that takes up the space of two or three people is not necessary.  

Ideally, yes.  Reality is that it happens in every race.  My last pool race I had to swim over/through three people doing backstroke side-by-side and blocking the entire lane. It sucked to have to slow down and figure out how to get through and past them, but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over it.   I'm not saying it's right, but I am going to say that it's perfectly fine for a person to do whatever the heck they feel they need to do to safely get through the swim.  Being polite to others in the water should NEVER be your first concern.  Take care of yourself first, and then worry about whether or not you might be in someone's way.  If someone is passing you, they're a better swimmer, and thus better equipped to handle going around you.

Edited by cgregg 2013-02-15 1:52 PM

2013-02-15 2:07 PM

User image

Spokane
Save the money, use that money for a coach. A good coach will get you swimming 400 no problem! I was only swimming 50 yards and dieing afterwords. I got a coach and 3 sessions later i was doing 500. Now i can do 2k+ nonstop, so money well spent!
2013-02-15 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

I almost always sign up for a race as soon as registration opens/ when there is an early registration incentive

This way I get the best rate, or another incentive and I am committed.

I have all may races (except for a few HM's) planned and booked for this year all they way to my (1st) HIM in October.

Pool-swims allow resting at the end as long as you need, so if you can swim 50 now. Go ahead and sign up. You will not win the even, but you will have tons of fun!

2013-02-15 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4623898

Master
Northern IL
Kido - 2013-02-15 12:03 PM

Main races I'll sign up right away to get in and for peace of mind. Other races I wait like this. However, I know I can make the distance for anything. My first HIM, I did wait until the last minute to be more sure I could do it.

2013-02-16 12:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina

My first tri was a nightmare, I could barely swim 500 yards and that was the distance in the open ocean with a surf entry (6 foot swells).  It was scary stuff but I made it.  Keep in mind most open water tris are either in a bay or a lake so there is no surf and most of the time wetsuits are legal.  Wetsuits do provide buoyancy (especially in saltwater) so stopping every 50 meters is fairly easy and most races allow you to grab a boat, bouy or surfboard to rest.  I figured the best way to immerse myself in the sport was to do the open water tri first and figure it out from there.  Each individual has their own limits and if you think you can conquer an open water sprint, you can.  Most of the time it is just nerves but let me tell you from experience, once your in the water the nerves go away and its now your race.  Everything else doesnt matter.

I have done nothing but sprints up until this point and am trying my first olympic distance at the ITU Tri in San Diego in April.  My first HIM will be Vineman in July.  I am using the olympic to guage myself so I can figure out my race strategy come July and work on any areas I feel need improved before that race.  As far as your swim goes,  I started swimming last May and paid a lifeguard that has taught swimming for the past 15 years to kids which is good for the basic fundamentals.  I have literally swam almost everyday since then and am just now breaking the mile barrier so it does take time.  Proper stroke and body position are key to minimizing how fast you wear yourself out.  If you know you have a terrible form take lessons.  I figured this out myself by watching others and said to myself man do I suck. 

Sign up now or wait?  I say sign up now to give yourself a goal to work towards.  I would plan to race a sprint in May.

2013-02-16 4:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I would sign up now. Along with the aforementioned commitment, you also never know if it will fill up. A local race here had filled up in two months in the past, but this time it filled up in 3 weeks; several folks I know are stuck on the waiting list.

You can also consider alternating laps of freestyle with backstroke or breaststroke, until your freestyle picks up. Backstroke can work well in a pool environment and it really isnt too much slower. At worse case, you will lose about two minutes over 400 yards. You will be surprised how quickly you can advance, though.

Here are some collected videos that I found helpful (on tablet creating links isnt working)
http://itryfortri.blogspot.com/2012/12/much-more-swimming-needed.html

2013-02-16 8:16 AM

User image

Pro

This sounds familiar. I signed up for my first sprint before I'd ever been in the pool. Three weeks before the event I was still having a hard time swimming 100 yards continuously. And then it clicked. I did the sprint. It took me almost 12 minutes to swim 400 yards but I did it. Stopped twice after getting slammed to recover my composure. I'd say you can do it but get a couple OWS sessions beforehand. Can't give any advice about a pool sprint.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sign up now or wait? Rss Feed