Canada
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 54s
Overall Rank = 37/214
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/21
Pre-race routine:

This definitely wasn't the best pre-race week - I spent the week involved in end of school year activities in addition to commuting back and forth between my summer job (about 2 hours each way). In addition, I've been stuffed up and had a cough since Wednesday and haven't been sleeping well. However, yesterday was pretty good, got home, spent the evening with Victoria and basically relaxed. Hydrated well throughout the evening and night and woke up at 5 for a can of ensure. Longued on the couch until about 6 when I started getting things out to the car and ready to go. Got to the site around 6:45, setup transition and began warming up.
Event warmup:

Quick run - about 10' on the run course. A couple of quick pickups to race pace but mainly just getting the legs loose. When I got back, Victoria and her grandmother were there so I chatted to them for a minute before heading out on the bike. About 12' on the bike on the course before getting back to transition and making my final preps. At this point it was a half hour to start so I switched to Gatorade and sipped on that until I got in the water. Got in the water, a couple of pickups to race pace for about 5' before getting to the start line.
Swim
  • 14m 12s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started the swim near the front on the inside and hoped to catch the draft from some faster swimmers. I went out fairly hard and found some feet and followed them. At about 300m, I realized I wasn't going as fast as I should but when I checked, the lead group was too far ahead to try to bridge. So I decided to stay on the feet and jump up if there was anyone bridging. I grabbed a couple of different people's feet throughout the swim and as I rounded the last outside buoy, my draftee went wide so I headed straight for the finish - I took an elbow at this time and had to roll over to fix my google. I had hoped to be out of the water in 13:30 but I was a little over - however it was a good swim and I had lots left for the next two legs.
What would you do differently?:

Find faster swimmers! I started two people back from the front - next time I'll get right on the line.
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Good transition - about a 200m run up from the water so on the run got the suit to my waist and cap and googles off. Tossed the cap and googles at my bike, suit off, shoes on, helmet and glasses on and going with the bike. I didn't go barefoot as I the parking lot was gravel and I've found I waste more time than I gain.

Nothing
Bike
  • 38m 12s
  • 20.2 kms
  • 31.73 km/hr
Comments:

This was my first race on the Leader and it was great. The only thing I didn't like was only having a 42-25 combo for one of the climbs but I don't think I lost much spinning up that climb. I started out strong and tried to get my HR down and spin fairly easy but I think I went a little hard. I tried to spin the hills, staying seated and mostly aero) and was able to take about a minute of last year's time going out. Although I was racing strong I was getting passed a fair amount (and passing some) and encountered some blocking on the hills (three abreast). On the return trip I was passed by a group of eight that were definitely working together - they had a pretty decent paceline going. I dropped off the back and let them go. Came back about 35" faster than last year and just missed my goal of sub 38'.

More time in the saddle - still need to build more bike strength - especially on this course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Good transition - again, bike shoes on my feet to avoid the gravel in the parking lot.

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 36s
  • 4.78 kms
  • 04m 19s  min/km
Comments:

My legs felt like lead starting the run - I was sure that I was going to hit the wall by the turnaround but just focused on good form and turnover. I checked my HR periodically and it was right where I wanted it to be (hovering around LT) and I felt strong through the trails and hills. They had really cold bottled water on the course and I am quite sure that I drank too much - it's easier to get water from a bottle than a cup which would lead to problems later on. Hit the turnaround and checked my split - better than what I hoped and my legs had loosened up by this point. The only problem was that about 200m before the turnaround I stepped in a bit of a rut and rolled my ankle pretty good. Thought it might cause trouble but I was able to run on it with no problem to the end. Continued from the turnaround - trying to stay strong and maintain form and cadence. I was able to pick up the pace a little more and keeping picking people off. I passed and was repassed by another athlete and figured I would stay with him until the end. We crested the hill together but then I felt like I was going to be sick so I let him go. I got to within 50m of the finish and had to throw up. I was slowed to a walk and got sick twice more before being able to pick back up to a jog - however, I crossed the line and threw up again :( Despite the rolled ankle and throwing up, I was able to come in under my goal of 21' (20:36 a 2:21 improvement).

Drink less :)
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much, walked and got in the water to clean off and then started eating small amounts of food to see how my stomach was going to feel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not getting the fastest feet on the swim, bike strength and getting sick on the run. Overall, no complaints - knocked 6:05 off last year's time :)

Event comments:

Excellent race - lots of prizes (none for me :()

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:12 | 750 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 43/214
Performance: Good
Avg HR 161
Suit: Shorty Wetsuit
Course: One clockwise lap in Lake Banook
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:12 | 20.2 kms | 31.73 km/hr
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 43/214
Out - 21:42 HR 172 Back - 17:25 HR 168
Wind: None
Course: The course was an out and back on Waverly Road and Montague Road. I have had the chance to ride this course several times and knew it very well. The first 5km was relatively flat and then the next 5km had lots of climbs. From the turnaround it was mainly downhill for 5km and then flat for the last 5km. There is lots of time to be made up in the return trip.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:36 | 04.78 kms | 04m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 28/214
Out - 10:25 HR 174 Back - 10:11 HR 176
Course: An out and back on about half sidewalk and half trail. The course was much more technical than the last race with more hills and some tighter corners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes