General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slippery Slope of the Banana Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-16 10:00 AM

New user
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Slippery Slope of the Banana
This past week, I have developed issues after eating a banana.  Early in the week, around 30 minutes after eating, I develop pretty strong stomach pains.  Naturally, I dismiss this as eating it on an empty stomach.  I googled it to find it not to be that uncommon.  I did not eat another until yesterday afternoon.  About an hour after eating a single banana, my body once again begins to cramp, followed by sweats and the feeling that I would pass out.  I get out of the driver's seat and hand the keys over to my wife.  I do not think that we made it 2 blocks before I come to with my wife's hands on either side of my face and my daughter peeking around the seat.  I had blacked out and they say I went into something that resembled a seizure ( grunting, eyes rolling back & incoherent ).  All this from 1 banana?  I read that you can develop an allergy over time, but really?  Have any of you heard of this from anyone else?  Guess I am glad that my annual trip to the doctor is on Tuesday.

2013-02-16 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4624879

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Slippery Slope of the Banana
Bananas have given me some pretty good GI distress before, but nothing that bad. Keep us updated, hope everything works out!
2013-02-16 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Unless both cases involved a banana and nothing else, guessing that the fruit itself is not the culprit. While I've heard of people who can't eat them before races, never heard of a banana allergy (caveat, not a doctor, just a runner/triathlete who likes to eat!) . It's a pretty innocuous food and often part of an elimination diet when people try to figure out what they're allergic to, and recommended for people getting over diarrhea. Sounds more like food poisoning or some nasty GI bug. If it really was the banana, maybe you should start buying organic ones. it almost sounds like poisoning--maybe some pesticide got in? I once got really ill from an apple (which I'd washed an peeled) when I lived in China--since I'm not allergic to apples figured it must have been some bad stuff that got sprayed on or, God forbid but it happens there, injected into the fruit. Definitely throw that bunch of bananas out before someone else gets sick!

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-02-16 9:28 PM
2013-02-17 1:42 AM
in reply to: #4625355

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Hot Runner - 2013-02-16 10:24 PM Unless both cases involved a banana and nothing else, guessing that the fruit itself is not the culprit. While I've heard of people who can't eat them before races, never heard of a banana allergy (caveat, not a doctor, just a runner/triathlete who likes to eat!) . It's a pretty innocuous food and often part of an elimination diet when people try to figure out what they're allergic to, and recommended for people getting over diarrhea. Sounds more like food poisoning or some nasty GI bug. If it really was the banana, maybe you should start buying organic ones. it almost sounds like poisoning--maybe some pesticide got in? I once got really ill from an apple (which I'd washed an peeled) when I lived in China--since I'm not allergic to apples figured it must have been some bad stuff that got sprayed on or, God forbid but it happens there, injected into the fruit. Definitely throw that bunch of bananas out before someone else gets sick!

There are definitely banana allergies!  Banana allergies are often associated with a latex allergy, so definitely mention it to your doc OP.

2013-02-19 1:16 PM

New user
The Woodlands, TX
My doctor dismissed the seizure notion, which is good.  I did not have the residual disorientation that follows.  Sounds like a good old fashioned passing out, for what reason is unknown.  Everything else, blood-level wise checked out fine.  He, also, did not think it was the banana at all.  I think I will stay away from them for a while, just in case.  Back to the grind after work today.  6 days without a workout has made me stir crazy.
2013-02-19 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Wow, that is nuts.  The human body is a mysterious thing!  Keep us posted on whether or not you have another incident and whether or not you decide to try another banana in the future!

2013-02-28 11:52 PM

User image

Master

FlyinTiger - 2013-02-16 8:00 AM This past week, I have developed issues after eating a banana.  Early in the week, around 30 minutes after eating, I develop pretty strong stomach pains.  Naturally, I dismiss this as eating it on an empty stomach.  I googled it to find it not to be that uncommon.  I did not eat another until yesterday afternoon.  About an hour after eating a single banana, my body once again begins to cramp, followed by sweats and the feeling that I would pass out.  I get out of the driver's seat and hand the keys over to my wife.  I do not think that we made it 2 blocks before I come to with my wife's hands on either side of my face and my daughter peeking around the seat.  I had blacked out and they say I went into something that resembled a seizure ( grunting, eyes rolling back & incoherent ).  All this from 1 banana?  I read that you can develop an allergy over time, but really?  Have any of you heard of this from anyone else?  Guess I am glad that my annual trip to the doctor is on Tuesday.

**Not a doctor*** This sounds to me like vasovagal syncope.  Something stimulates your vagus nerve (abdominal pain/cramps can do it) heart rate and BP drops and you faint.  I have had it happen to me a couple of times--pain,nausea, cold sweats, passed out.  It's a VERY uncomfortable and little frightening.  Everything checked out for me too, and I have never been able to relate it to anything.  Sounds like bananas are causing your trouble--I'd be giving them up if I were you Wink  I hope you don't have to deal with it again!

2013-03-09 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran

Did you happen to drink really cold water at the same time you ate that banana? Are you allergic to anything else? Like tree pollen, or latex?

You might also want to get tested for hypoglycemia.

2013-03-12 5:35 PM

User image

Regular
NSW
Sounds like what I have. I have had it for 15years, and it came on after many years of eating banana sandwiches for lunch pretty much daily. Started getting colickypain and nausea about 20mins after eating them, which gets worse. Usually need to lie down take buscopan and rest for a number of hours. Depending on how bad it is, I can still still feel the hangover of it for a day. The only solution is to not eat them.I have since developed the same thing with eggs, and have he beginning signs of it happening with avocados. I have no other allergies, and generally considered myself to be fairly hardy!I can eat banana bread, muffins, and pancakes, but limit these due to them being fattening and also not to push the envelope too much. I did eat them twice whilst pregnant with no effect and once during Tough Mudder last year, with no probs. Its a bit of a weird thng.
2013-04-18 3:48 PM

User image

New user

Fairview Heights
My mom is allergic to bananas and her reactions are stomach cramping and intestinal distress.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slippery Slope of the Banana Rss Feed