Richmond Multisports
37F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 40m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 71-110 (couples
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

The kids decided to sleep in today. Radio went on at 6:30. Dragged myself up to get breakfast at 7:00. It was snowing, but not sticking. Had 2 packets of oatmeal, a banana and tea, some water. Woke up hubby at 7:30. Baby got up after that. Nursed, got dressed, left the house at 8:30. Got to the parking lot at 9:00. It was cold. Debated whether or not to take rain jacket. Left it in the car. Hubby needed to get to the port-o-potty so we walked to race site, about 1/2 mile.

Forgot my inhaler.
Event warmup:

Hung out in the heated tent. At ten min out, we walked to the start. Jogged maybe 0.2 mile.
Run
  • 2h 40m 14s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 12m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

SO... weather was a major issue here. It was pretty miserable the whole time. But it wasn't raining at the start. Everyone was spread out across Brown's Island to start. It quickly turned into a bottleneck when we were forced onto a sidewalk. Then there was another bottleneck at the first set of stairs (down). I thought initially I was running too fast, so I tried to pace myself. But then my first 2 miles were over 13 min ea. So I ran faster. My second 2 miles were in the 11's, but I was distrustful of the mile signs. Then I didn't see another until mile 8 or something. Anyway... after the out and back, it was up stairs and across a bridge. I was warming up, had a gel, feeling decent. Most of the course on the other side of the river was uphill. Then back across a long bridge with lots of traffic. It was wet and drizzly. I was trying to keep my feet dry, but it was becoming very hard to see since I wear glasses. After crossing the long bridge, more uphill, and then the worst hill of all - very steep up, then very steep down, all on wet bricks. The downhill was so steep I was afraid of falling, and it was rough on the knees. Then back to the start/finish (hello finishing chute. see you in 6 more miles...). By the start of loop 2, it was raining, and there were occasional chilling wind gusts. I had taken off my jacket but ended up putting it back on. Up the stairs was much slower second time. On the bridge, a car went through a puddle and soaked my legs. Boo. Knowing the terrain, I was mentally prepared for the uphill. When I saw mile 9 I calculated my pace and decided I probably wouldn't make a PR. Then at mile 10, I re-calculated it, and realized that I COULD get a PR. Tired brain = bad math. I picked up the pace and tried to do 12's for the last 5k. The long bridge back over the river was a slog, with cold wind and rain towards the end. I started thinking how I couldn't imagine doing this after swimming and biking... then I had to talk myself out of thinking about that and just focus on the race at hand and not some future race! Finally, onto the bad, slick brick hill up and down, and then an easier downhill and into the chute. Richard was at the finish and cheered me on. I think I was far in the back to start. I passed people for the entire race (sometimes it took a mile or more to catch up) and was only passed by two in the last couple miles.

• ..and I just realized that last time I did 2:37:47, NOT 2:47:37. So I actually didn't get a PR. And I missed my 12:15 goal by 20 seconds or so. Hm. I wonder if I could have made that time up if I knew how close I was...? :/

• UPDATE official time was faster by about 30 s and puts me at a 12:14 pace! Yay!
    What would you do differently?:

Train better. (Hard to train consistently in December.) There were probably better clothing options, but I'm don't know what they are. Haven't done any training in rain/snow.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Hung onto Richard. Begged to be carried into the warming tent. He laughed. Found a few remaining orange slices (only thing that sounded good). Sat down for a while. Got some water. Went to port-o-potty. Decided it was time to go (our babysitting was running out). So we had to walk back up the hill to the car. Then we went to Five Guys to grab burgers for the ride home. I was going to meet up with enders_shadow and artemis, but there wasn't time. I was bummed b/c I wanted to talk HIM plans with enders_shadow and hear how they were doing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the weather. But also I could have trained better early on. I don't think forgetting my inhaler was a problem. I didn't notice any wheezing or coughing. In any case, the race went according to plan. No major issues.

Event comments:

February is a crapshoot with the weather, but, then again, it's better than 95 deg. First time they did this race. Pretty views, but some significant hills and stairs.

This was the first year and they have some significant kinks to work out.

Last updated: 2012-12-06 12:00 AM
    Running
    02:40:14 | 13.3 miles | 12m 03s  min/mile
    Age Group: 0/11
    Overall: 0/
    Performance: Good
    mile 1 13:45?; mile 2 16:35???; mile 3 11:17; mile 4 11:38; miles 5-8? 44:58; miles 9-10 22:52; mile 11 12:57; mile 12 13:13; mile 13 12:24; the 0.1 1:01. (some mile markers seemed off or missing. RMS admitted later there was bad signage.)
    Course: out and back by the river; cross the river, uphill, cross back over the river; back down 5th street; repeat **was long by 0.2 miles
    Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 5
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Too hard
    Organized? No
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities:
    Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
    2013-02-16 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Virginny
    Subject: Love Rox Half Marathon

2013-02-16 8:19 PM
    in reply to: #4625212

User image

Royal(PITA)
    West Chester, Ohio
    Subject: RE: Love Rox Half Marathon
    You did great in that nasty weather and sufferfest course.  Sorry we missed meeting up cause we all commiserated on the misery of the day over lunch.
    2013-02-16 10:37 PM

User image

Champion
    Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
    What were you wearing? You must have finished right ahead of me...and I was one of the ones you passed!
    2013-02-16 10:42 PM

User image

Science Nerd
    Redwood City, California
    You did a great job!  It was so tough out there today.  Sorry that we didn't get a chance to meet up with you! Hope to see you soon.  
    2013-02-17 2:31 PM
    in reply to: #4625304

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Virginny
    QueenZipp - 2013-02-16 9:19 PM

You did great in that nasty weather and sufferfest course.  Sorry we missed meeting up cause we all commiserated on the misery of the day over lunch.

Thanks, Judi! Was hoping to meet you too!
    2013-02-17 2:33 PM
    in reply to: #4625409

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Virginny
    enders_shadow - 2013-02-16 11:37 PM

What were you wearing? You must have finished right ahead of me...and I was one of the ones you passed!

Seriously?? I kept looking for you, but, honestly I only could remember you were shorter than me!
    I was wearing black pants, black fleece jacket, purple winter hat, and mustard yellow shirt. I think towards the end I had the fleece back on...? What were you wearing??

2013-02-17 4:23 PM
    in reply to: #4625826

User image

Champion
    Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
    miche033 - 2013-02-17 3:33 PM

Seriously?? I kept looking for you, but, honestly I only could remember you were shorter than me!
    I was wearing black pants, black fleece jacket, purple winter hat, and mustard yellow shirt. I think towards the end I had the fleece back on...? What were you wearing??

I saw you - you passed me before the last water station I think. I was wearing a red jacket, black pants, and a black & white flowered running skirt!
    2013-02-18 8:25 AM
    in reply to: #4625905

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Virginny
    enders_shadow - 2013-02-17 5:23 PM

miche033 - 2013-02-17 3:33 PM

I saw you - you passed me before the last water station I think. I was wearing a red jacket, black pants, and a black & white flowered running skirt!

Oh yeah, CUTE skirt! Too bad it couldn't make up for the circumstances!
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Love Rox Half Marathon Rss Feed