hevents.com.au
22C / 72F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 33s
Overall Rank = 120/164
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 18/26
Pre-race routine:

Up early due to daughters bday and gave her bday presents. Drove to event which was 45mins away so left home at 6:20am. Event started at 8am but ran a little late, so plenty of time for a look around.
Event warmup:

The 600m walk up the beach to the start line which was on the beach, was a pretty good warm up!
Run
  • 1h 19m 33s
  • 12 kms
  • 06m 38s  min/km
Comments:

It felt terrible, but I was trying to push myself and let my body just go. I have real problems with anxiety when I get puffed out..and then start to hyperventilate. The poor people in front must think I am like a stalker or something. I tried to resist the temptation to look at my heart rate on my polar watch as this seems to be dictating to me more than it should. So this time I actually did push myself with average HR of 170 and up to 179. I lost all sense of how long the run had to go toward the end and thought that it had another 3kms, when in truth it only had another 1.5km tops. This was a bit disappointing as I really think I could have taken a couple more minutes of my time if I had not had walked as much.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure.... pleased that my running is improving since last year, but wish my mind would stop playing games with my body. Need to practice more at this distance and the 10km mark to get used to it. Given the elements,and the fact that I have never done this distance before, I could hardly be too disappointed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to car

What limited your ability to perform faster:

New to the distance and blisters toward the end...again!

Event comments:

Course was good, it is a low key local event so I think there is not much more that you could expect. I would have liked to have another drink station and also some signage on the home loop to let you know how far you have to go.

Last updated: 2013-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:19:33 | 12 kms | 06m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 18/26
Overall: 120/164
Performance: Average
Heart rate exploded during the beach run segment, as the sand was pretty soft and I tried to get off it as quick as I could (so much for taking it easy).
Course: Pretty much had everything....a beach start then onto flat grass in front of apartments, along the footpath to another bay, where it then went up a hill on the bitumen, down the hill, along a forest track, up another bigger hill, down the hill, along some more forest path and finally when you came to an opening, turn around and go back again. The course finished where it met the grass after the beach run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No