MinneMan Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 50s
Overall Rank = 92/362
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/34
Pre-race routine:

Got everything packed the night before and put two half-full bike bottles in the freezer. In the morning, had a bagel with Nutella, a cereal bar and a 32 oz. bottle of Gatorade Endurance on the way to the race. Arrived at the park about 30 minutes after the tranistion area opened and was one of the first people for my assigned rack. Since I hadn't done a tri since 1989, I signed up for the "novice age 35-39" category. I think the general idea of the "novice" category is to keep all the newbies out of the way of the serious folks, and it was actually pretty nice. The race had 10 waves with roughly 30-55 people starting in each one. My wave was last, with the bright pink swim caps.
Event warmup:

I got in the lake and swam for about 5 minutes. It was very shallow and when I stood up to start walking into shore, I saw a large lightning bolt right over the gazebo at the side of the lake. This prompted me to get out of the lake a little faster. As a result of the lightning, the race was delayed about 40 minutes. In hindsight, I think I spent too much time prior to the race on my feet, walking back to my transition area, back to the lake, looking around for my wife and kids, etc. For my future races, I'm going to work on making myself sit down a bit - standing and walking around for 2 hours prior to the triathlon can't help.
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 528 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Waves started 3 minutes apart, and I was in the last wave. With the lake being so shallow, we all started with a combination of running and dolphin dives. For the first 25 yards it was somewhat crowded, but once we started swimming I was able to get clear of my wave pretty quickly. I started hitting traffic roughly 200 yards into the swim and most of the rest of my swim was comprised of a slalom of slower swimmers. It was like a crowded lap swim with no lane lines. I probably passed 50 people on the swim and saw an amazing variety of technique along the way - freestyle, breastroke, sidestroke, treading water, backfloat, etc. I found myself sighting about every six strokes simply to navigate my way through people, but other than that, I don't think that swimming through all these folks slowed me down too much. The one thing that probably did slow me down a bit is that in order to get through the other swimmers, I think I took most of the turns a bit wide.
What would you do differently?:

Other than cutting the course closer to the buoys if possible, not much, I liked my effort level, particularly the way I worked hard with my arms and laid off the legs.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

The transition included a 50 yard or so run from the beach to one end of the transition area. I sat down, dried my feet, put on socks and bike shoes, put a gel in my tri top, put on sunglasses and helmet and ran with bike down to transition exit.

I was OK with how this transition went. Most importantly, I didn't forget anything or make any dumb mistakes. I could've gone faster if I'd wanted to run faster, but thought I should keep myself under control. At some point I should try biking without socks, and then starting with shoes on the bike after that.
Bike
  • 39m 55s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into the race, I had been debating as to how hard I should push the bike segment, and my conclusion was that the run was likely to hurt regardless of how hard I worked the bike. Consequently my plan was to push pretty hard until about the last mile, when I would try to let up a bit and get legs ready for the run.

For the most part I held a relatively constant pace most of the ride with the exception of a few uphill and downhill sections. On the downhills I generally opted to pick up a little speed and then coast, rather than hammering the whole time. I'm not sure if the added rest for my legs made up for the lost speed or not. My plan was to lighten up toward the end of the segment and get my legs ready for the run. However, I think I let up a little earlier than I needed to, and not knowing the course real well, I probably rode a good half mile with my feet on top of my shoes, thinking that the transition area was coming up before it was.

One of the nice things about starting in the last wave is that there were all sorts of people ahead of me on the bike course and very few behind me. While my bike rank was pretty average, starting way at the back meant I probably got to pass about 50 people on the bike and only got passed once myself. This really helped my attitude.

I thought my pacing/effort was pretty good. I need to stay better focused - I caught my mind wandering off a couple times, and I'm sure I lost some time doing that. In addition, it would help to know the course better or at least study the map better beforehand, so that I'd have a better idea when the finish was coming up. Finally, I'd probably bring a second water bottle on hot/humid days like this, even for this distance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

This went pretty smoothly for me. I took an extra swig of a water bottle I had in my bag, and that was a good decision. Looking at other transition times, this seemed pretty reasonable. I probably could've shaved some more time by not sitting down to put on shoes or running faster, but overall I'm happy with this transition.

The main thing I've been considering is taking another 10-15 seconds and changing socks before the run. Since I ended up getting a blister on the run, maybe that would help my feet stay drier.
Run
  • 26m 18s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This run just really hurt. It took me most of the first mile to get my legs feeling close to normal off the bike. However, I still find that coming off the bike I run less smoothly, with more pounding on my body. I'm not sure why that is, but will have to work on it. I got to see most of the BT squad on their way back and they all looked like they were having more fun than I was. The image of some of those 150 lb. runner types prancing past me will be an image that will stick with me for a while, and will serve as a good motivator. I got a blister starting about a mile into the run, so that was a bit painful, but I don't think it slowed me down any.

Actually not much under the circumstances. I was pretty hot and could've used a bit more water maybe at the aid stations. Overall, I felt this run was pretty indicative of where my training has been to date.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, chatting with family and BT folks. I will do more post-race stretching next time, as my legs were sore the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think this race was a very good indicator of my ability at this point, so almost all of my changes would be with respect to training rather than racing. The minor things that I'd do differently would be to take 2 bottles on the bike, change socks at the second transition and get a haircut before the race to possibly keep me cooler?

Event comments:

The race seemed well organized with lots of volunteer support. The bike course in particular is really fast, and I'd have only minor quibbles with the swim and run segments. Definitely a good sprint to do in mid-season.

Last updated: 2006-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 528 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/34
Overall: 12/362
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: Generally and out and back course in a lake following some buoys. The lake is quite shallow, meaning that the first 25 yards and last 40 yards were a combination of dolphin dives and running/walking.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:55 | 13 miles | 19.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/34
Overall: 123/362
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rectangular course, very flat, nothing I'd even call a hill. Pavement was in great shape with the exception of one approx. 0.5 mil section.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:18 | 03 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/34
Overall: 150/362
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the lake. I probably would've enjoyed the views a lot more if my legs didn't hurt so much.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-03 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: MinneMan Sprint

2006-07-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #472626

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Subject: RE: MinneMan Sprint
Matt, it was great to meet you.  You had an AWESOME swim leg.  I'd take a faster swim over a faster run ANY day.  It'd great to see you at some future MN races.  No OLY for me this year.  I'm going to try and get in 2 more sprints after Lifetime.  Congrats on a great race...
2006-07-03 5:38 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
That's a fantastic swim split, especially given the amount of traffic you had to contend with!

Definitely go with the hair cut, but don't hold back, take it all off - you can't imagine how good a cup of water feels when poured over a bald head on a hot, humid day! (Of course, genetics has already made this decision for me...:-)

Great race!

-Kevin
2006-07-04 3:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
smoking swim time dude... you are a fish no doubt... 50 people huh.. I was prolly one of them .. lol.  wow... you and I had simliar running exp...... the sun just took everything I had out of me after the first mile... never really recovered.... i think the humidity might have had somethign to do with it as well... you look like the BT winner on time... Ill get you next time!!  Nice to met you..
2006-07-05 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Minnesota
So you had a pink cap on too!??! Sounds like you had a good race. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MinneMan Sprint Rss Feed