General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bartholin's Cyst - for the ladies only :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-20 3:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Subject: Bartholin's Cyst - for the ladies only :)

A week ago after a ride I noticed a lump appear in the nether regions and it has since grown and become quite painful. I've since done some research online and it appears that I have a Bartholin's cyst. I've made an appointment to see my GP to have it dealt with, which will apparently mean getting it lanced and drained (not something I'm looking foward too!).

My question is has anyone (ladies obviously) had one removed or drained and if so, how long did it take to heal, also did it come back? I've got a race in three weeks, which is only a B race, but it looks like I will miss it as it is just too painful to ride. The main thing is I want this thing sorted out before I start my 70.3 training in a couple of months.

2013-02-20 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4629560

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Bartholin's Cyst - for the ladies only :)

I had something like what I think you're describing (never had a name for it), and so did the girl in this blog (this is a seriously hilarious blog post and very informative): http://www.mediocreathlete.com/health-and-wellness/crotchfest-2012-this-sport-is-stupid-and-gross-edition 

No down time required after getting it drained, so I imagine you should be fine for your race three weeks out if you're able to get it drained soon.  To contrast that, I didn't have mine drained, and while I didn't really take any time off, it was there and painful for about three weeks if I remember correctly.  That said, I was just racing sprints, so my saddle time was relatively small.  I would definitely want to get it drained and not have to deal with that if it ever comes up again.

2013-02-20 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Yes, I've had one on my left side a few times since 2003.  The first time I had it, it swelled up pretty big and was so painful I couldn't sit right.  They gave me antibiotic because they said it was infected, and to come back in a week if the medication didn't help.  It did, and you can PM me for the details about that interesting experience.

Then I had recurrent flare-ups until I finally had surgery on it.  Not the most comfortable surgery but worth the less recurrences.  Yet another procedure I can give you details about offline.  I can still feel it's not the same as it was before I had it but it's manageable.  I had to change saddles and often end up sort of uncomfortable after a few hours.  I'd say I'm personally done with IM distance training sort of because of that, but I didn't have a lot of time to train anyways so that was an easy decision.  I can do up to 4 hours if I'm used to it.  Anymore than that can cause a recurrence.

Let me know if you want to chat about it.

2013-02-20 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
And I just read the link from the previous poster.  Not the same thing I had. 
2013-02-20 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
that blog post link was priceless....(tho the issue is not too amusing when in the moment!)..made me laugh out loud..thanks!the sport does have its weird-isms!
2013-02-20 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4629676

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

If this is what I suspect it is and I'm 99.9% sure it is a Bartholin's cyst as my mum had one, I'll be having surgery. I've bruised my pubic bone before and had swellings as such competing in martial arts, but this is very different.

I'm glad yours cleared up after getting it drained, but I have a feeling my down time is going to be a couple of weeks.

I'm definitely looking into getting a new saddle and using copious amounts of Aussie Butt Cream!

ligersandtions - 2013-02-21 12:26 AM

I had something like what I think you're describing (never had a name for it), and so did the girl in this blog (this is a seriously hilarious blog post and very informative): http://www.mediocreathlete.com/health-and-wellness/crotchfest-2012-this-sport-is-stupid-and-gross-edition 

No down time required after getting it drained, so I imagine you should be fine for your race three weeks out if you're able to get it drained soon.  To contrast that, I didn't have mine drained, and while I didn't really take any time off, it was there and painful for about three weeks if I remember correctly.  That said, I was just racing sprints, so my saddle time was relatively small.  I would definitely want to get it drained and not have to deal with that if it ever comes up again.

2013-02-20 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4630833

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria

Thanks Sarah, yes mine is on my left side too. I told my mum about it last night and she said she had the exact same thing and had to have it surgically removed. I don't think I'm going to mess around with the medication, I'd just rather have it cut out and be done with it so it doesn't come back. I really want to do Ironman, so I'll be pi$$ed if this damn thing stops me from doing that. Anyway thank you for posting I will send you a message.

sarahswhere - 2013-02-21 12:03 PM

Yes, I've had one on my left side a few times since 2003.  The first time I had it, it swelled up pretty big and was so painful I couldn't sit right.  They gave me antibiotic because they said it was infected, and to come back in a week if the medication didn't help.  It did, and you can PM me for the details about that interesting experience.

Then I had recurrent flare-ups until I finally had surgery on it.  Not the most comfortable surgery but worth the less recurrences.  Yet another procedure I can give you details about offline.  I can still feel it's not the same as it was before I had it but it's manageable.  I had to change saddles and often end up sort of uncomfortable after a few hours.  I'd say I'm personally done with IM distance training sort of because of that, but I didn't have a lot of time to train anyways so that was an easy decision.  I can do up to 4 hours if I'm used to it.  Anymore than that can cause a recurrence.

Let me know if you want to chat about it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bartholin's Cyst - for the ladies only :) Rss Feed