General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-20 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
Subject: Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer

I know a lot of folks on here use trainer road - does any one use it on a trainer that's not on their supported list? I have an off-brand trainer that I bought for cheap at my LBS last summer. 

In my mind it should be okay, because primarily I'm comparing one workout to another. As long as the set up is consistent, gains should still be valid, even if the power number is off. 

The trainer is a RavX TX1 in case anyone has any experience with it... I've never noticed any drop in resistance with heat or other issues - I use HR and for long intervals at a constant speed my HR will creep up slightly, which would indicate a relatively consistent resistance. 

Worthwhile or not worthwhile? Does anyone have any experience with this? 

J

2013-02-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4630403

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
Subject: RE: Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer
I would contact the guys at the company directly and ask them. They'd be able to give you the  best answer.  They are really quick to respond provide great service.
2013-02-20 4:07 PM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
I'm sure your trainer will work. As stated above, contact them and they will advise you.
2013-02-20 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Houston

The issue is really the power curve.

You have to pick a trainer to use.  When you use that trainer TR has a power curve that says at 15mph the power to turn that wheel is 150 at 16mph it is 170 at 17 it is 185.  It is actually a formula of some kind but you get the idea.

If your trainer takes a LOT more power to go from 200 to 210 than the trainer you picked it could be hard to hold the power numbers even if your FTP is right.  Or you could be going WAY easier than you should be.

That said - It will likely be OK, just not ideal.  I would strongly recommend talking to Nate and Reid and seeing if they can find and add your trainer in the list. 

It might be rebranded from something else.

It took them about 4 hours when they added mine.  Of course that was back when they still had day jobs.

2013-02-21 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4630995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
NewClydesdale - 2013-02-20 10:18 PM

The issue is really the power curve.

You have to pick a trainer to use.  When you use that trainer TR has a power curve that says at 15mph the power to turn that wheel is 150 at 16mph it is 170 at 17 it is 185.  It is actually a formula of some kind but you get the idea.

If your trainer takes a LOT more power to go from 200 to 210 than the trainer you picked it could be hard to hold the power numbers even if your FTP is right.  Or you could be going WAY easier than you should be.

That said - It will likely be OK, just not ideal.  I would strongly recommend talking to Nate and Reid and seeing if they can find and add your trainer in the list. 

It might be rebranded from something else.

It took them about 4 hours when they added mine.  Of course that was back when they still had day jobs.

Thank you - I thought about the issue with the power curve last night. I emailed them and the manufacturer to see if I can get any details on the power curve and help with getting the trainer added to the system. 

The response from trainer road was basically that it would be workable as long as the set-up is consistent, but would work a lot better if we had the proper profile added. They also said to make sure with a mag trainer you pick a mag trainer profile, with a wind trainer you pick a wind trainer profile, etc., assuming yours is not supported.

Thanks again for all the help guys! 

John

Edited by guitarfrk75 2013-02-21 8:05 AM
2013-02-21 10:34 AM

New user

Reno
I just responded to your email but I thought it would be good to clarify here since others probably have the same question. Since you have a mag trainer we can assume the speed to power relationship is linear. I.e. the change in watts from 15 to 16 mph is the same as the change from 18 to 19 mph. So we don't know the rate of that change as well as the y-offset of that like (where it crosses zero). This is usually what changes with changes in setup, which is why we say to keep setup consistent. You can live with not knowing the offset but not knowing the slope (rate of change) makes it unusable. That trainer looks like some of the Elite trainers so I wouldn't be surprised if Elite manufactures it. So you could try some of those ones but without knowing what 100, 200, and 300 watts feels like, it will be tough to dial in. If Ravx doesn't get back to you, I'd start looking for a new trainer or a power meter. I'd hate to have you waste time training with bad numbers and find out a month or two down the road or in a race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer Road on an Unsupported Trainer Rss Feed