General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To be a swimmer, you must swim. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-21 4:07 PM

South Wales, UK
Subject: To be a swimmer, you must swim.
So I feel like a complete beginner in the pool again. I haven't swam in the pool since last July. Since then I have swam in the sea quite steadily until October, in my wetsuit. It is free so why pay pool fees of £25 per month! I took the whole of winter off from swimming as I do not particularly enjoy it. But oh what a fool I am, I am oh what a fool I am! I could barely make it to the end of the 50 metre pool!!!! And breathe............. Utter craziness especially as I am supposed to be doing a HIM in July after only doing a long sprint and oly last year. The second time in the pool felt a little better moving through the water and I hope to manage 200m without stopping tomorrow , what high hopes I have......... Anyone else had a similar experience?

2013-02-21 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4632234

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: To be a swimmer, you must swim.
Just had the same experience last month.  5 months off...hardly 50 meters.  5 weeks and I'm back to 1000 meter workouts.   Hang in there...it'll come back.
2013-02-21 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

yeah it comes back but it's hard to get going again after time off.

I basically bagged swimming after my last race in Oct, and just started again this month...ooh boy did I feel it.

but after a few weeks, I'm going ok.

2013-02-21 4:52 PM

Master

Just went through this myself after taking 3 months off. 

I was horrified in the past 4 weeks at how slow my times were for how hard I was working in the pool. I had to check and recheck my old swim times to make sure I didn't typo them, since they seemed so much faster that it was unfathomable for me in my outofshapness. Really made me feel like giving up completely.

Fortunately though, I"m pretty motivated, and forced myself to suffer through the workouts now that I'm getting back in the groove. After 4 weeks of what I think is some pretty tough efforts in the pool, I think I'm finally at the pre-race level I was before. Still horrified at how long it took - I was working really hard in the pool!

2013-02-21 8:19 PM

It comes back quick.  Took 5 months off and I've gotten most of it back after a month and a half.  Its bad at first but it gets better quick.
2013-02-21 9:06 PM

If it makes you feel any better I've pretty much taken my whole life off!  This is all new to me.  I used to swim with a nose plug when I was little until my uncle yelled at me.  I'm finally biting the bullet to by a "real" swim suit now that I"m training for my first tri.  Everyone has such great advice and encouragement!

2013-02-22 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
I always feel stiff and out of shape when I get back in the pool after a long hiatus. That is why I try to  never let it get to 2 weeks without swimming.
2013-02-22 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4632246

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
metafizx - 2013-02-21 4:15 PM

I basically bagged swimming after my last race in Oct, and just started again this month...ooh boy did I feel it.

How could you bag swimming in Hawai'i? There's something really wrong about that...

Key to getting back into it is comfort... Think long, smooth strokes. Fewer strokes per lap the better.

I'd rather be one of those jerks who could go without running for a few months and then go bang out a 10K at 7 min miles, but I'm cursed with being a good swimmer instead.

2013-02-22 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4632752

User image

Elite
N Carolina
GomesBolt - 2013-02-22 7:29 AM

How could you bag swimming in Hawai'i? There's something really wrong about that...

Key to getting back into it is comfort... Think long, smooth strokes. Fewer strokes per lap the better.

I'd rather be one of those jerks who could go without running for a few months and then go bang out a 10K at 7 min miles, but I'm cursed with being a good swimmer instead.

Isn't the point to get to the end of the pool the fastest?  I know you need to be efficient but if you can get to the other end faster with 22 strokes (25 yard pool) why try to get down to 20 if it just makes you slower?

2013-02-22 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4632800

User image

Master
japarker24 - 2013-02-22 7:26 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-22 7:29 AM

Isn't the point to get to the end of the pool the fastest?  I know you need to be efficient but if you can get to the other end faster with 22 strokes (25 yard pool) why try to get down to 20 if it just makes you slower?

And we're off!

2013-02-22 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4633234

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

^ +1

What you just said. 

2013-02-22 12:47 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
From OP's OP:
"complete beginner"
"Barely 50 metres"
"Work up to 200 metres"

There'll be time to jam out speed later. My recommendation is to get smooth first. Fewer strokes per length is smooth.

Also, you'd be surprised how fast you can go when you glide a bit. Of course there's a point of optimization. But if the OP is trying to get more distance, smooth and long works better.
2013-02-22 2:28 PM

User image

Philadelphia

This is so true, but you can do it if you get back in there and at it.  While it may be slow going initially, you will eventually get back to where you were.

2013-02-22 3:17 PM

I have to believe if you're getting winded after 50-100m something's up with your breathing technique or your body position isn't horizontal.  Can you swim without using a kick?  You don't have to have a turbine back there, just enough to help with staying near the top of the water.  In my opinion, taking a few months off from swimming shouldn't cause you to go into O2 debt after a few laps.  This might be a blessing in disguise to fix a possible flaw.
2013-02-22 9:12 PM

New user

Saratoga Springs

I've been off and on with swimming for years, where I'll swim 2-3 times a week for about six weeks, get busy or the pool will close for maintenance or something will happen, and I'll fall out of synch for months. Usually, I find that it's like riding a bike, it comes back. I start pretty easy, with 10-15 minutes, then gradually work up. I also find that it's hard to get into a pool if my body is cold, so I pamper myself and go into the hot tub or sauna or take a hot shower first!

Good luck!

2013-02-23 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not clear from your post what distance you were swimming prior to the break but a thought--you mentioned that you haven't swum in a pool since July and that you were swimming until October in the ocean in a wetsuit. In other words, you were much, much more buoyant than you are in a pool. This would be particularly true if you're not naturally very buoyant (if you're thin, or very muscular) and/or if there are serious flaws in your body position that are making your hips sink without the extra lift provided by salt water and wetsuit. If you have been swimming in the ocean, it's normal for the pool to feel like cement the first few times!  Plus you're dealing with loss of swim fitness from the layoff. (I feel your pain--last fall I was unable to swim freestyle for a month, and without fins for almost another month, after an arm injury, and the first few weeks back felt ghastly, fighting from one wall to the other, 30 sec/100m slower....It took about a month to get back to feeling normal in the water and hitting near-normal splits.) But if the issues persist after 2-3 weeks, you should look into getting some feedback on your form, esp. body position. Maybe it is, literally, dragging you down.

2013-02-23 7:08 AM

User image

I have spent the last three months swimming 3x/week.  I have gotten comfortable swimming 2000m, although I am still a little slow.  My goal is to do a couple of sprint tris this summer and do an Oly by the end of the summer.

My gym membership expires this weekend, and I have been green-lighted to ease back into running (AT injury), so I was planning on just swimming once a week.  Should that be enough to maintain or maybe even see a little improvement?

2013-02-23 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

As a swim coach (albeit not a highly qualified one) and an athlete, my thought is that while once a week is better than nothing, it's not enough to maintain fitness. Possibly enough to maintain form/comfort/ "feel" for the water though if you are already a confident swimmer or if not, you use the time to work on form, preferably with a coach. Twice a week seems the bare minimum to maintain fitness in a sport, and three or four to improve. I see this with the kids I coach (sadly, our lifeguard/pool situation only allows each team to train twice a week) as well as with myself across all three sports.

2013-02-24 12:46 PM

South Wales, UK
Thank you so much for the replies. From your feedback I gather it will take me about a month to get back to where I was. Thank you for sharing your stories xxxxxxx Also I love the comment about taking your life off from swimming, I laughed out loud. Marvellous. Thank you for the details from some of you, but I am a crap swimmer and am happy to get by and see the swim as a warm up. I come from a running background. A swim coach is too expensive and I live in the back end of nowhere so no wasters classes unless I want to drive over an hour. I tried again on Wednesday and managed 400 without stopping so I am getting there. I think the comments about the wetsuits and buoyancy are very true. I feel really at home swimming in the sea. We have a large bay near us and I feel as though I could just swim forever in my suit. I would stay in there all year if I could but this is South Wales uk and I draw the line in winter. So yes my hips probably do drop a little. Well thank you all, onwards and upwards, happy training xxxx
2013-02-24 12:47 PM

South Wales, UK
Typo...... Masters not wasters.......although I did chuckle when I read that back xxxxx
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To be a swimmer, you must swim. Rss Feed