Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving employees time off for exercise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-22 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Giving employees time off for exercise

Does anyone get employer paid time off for exercise or other health activities?

I am the interim co-director for a very small department and my co-director and I are planning to offer the staff the perk of two 30-minute/week "Health Breaks."  I wanted it to be specifically for exercise, but we decided we're going to allow for mental/spiritual endeavors such as a meditative walk.  Basically, they can do what they want if they call it healthy.

Essentially our budget situation is bad, so there will be no raises or other gifts for a long, long time. We saw this as a free easy way to improve the work/life balance.  Fortunately for us, we have no hourly people - only salaried.  So, it's pretty easy to implement    Obviously as a person who trains regularly before/during/after work, this benefits me too!

Any advice/pitfalls/anecdotes?

2013-02-22 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4633373

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Giving employees time off for exercise
My friend in the RAF gets paid to keep fit.  Gets several hours a week to workout - paid.
2013-02-22 1:00 PM

User image

Money-wise it would be more attractive to me for the company to have a deal with a local heath club for free or substantially reduced fees than have time off.

You're going to have "Why can't I choose to do whatever the hell I want during those 30 minute times?" with people griping they should be allowed to sit in their cars and watch traffic go by. Before long you'll have people working through it and it'll come up in meetings, "Well if you had actually WORKED from 9-5 you would have had it done..."

I honestly believe you're opening a can of trouble for people to get really stupid about.

Edited by DanielG 2013-02-22 1:02 PM
2013-02-22 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

the problem I would have is if it is exercise specific - 30 minutes isn't enough time.  if you don't have a gym or locker room on site, that 30 minutes doesn't really do anything for them.

if you feel like an hour per week you can afford the lost productivity, why don't you just let everyone quit early on fridays?  i would like that much more.

2013-02-22 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Any sort of time off for salaried employees is great.  We've had salary freezes, cut bonuses, we now pay part of our health insurance, and retirement contributions are minimal.  But when my boss comes in Friday afternoon and says, "There isn't anything we need to be here for, go on and call it week," I feel like a million bucks.  Sad but true.

If the work is getting done, give them some extra time off and don't attach any conditions to it.  I guess to put it in your terms, any time not at the office is a mental health break.  Give them rotating Friday half days, or during the week exercise breaks, or an extra day off each month, or whatever.  Just let them get out of there for a little while for whatever.  It's cathartic.  But 30 minutes around lunch time twice a week wouldn't excite me at all, unless I slept in and needed to get in a long run or something (we at least have a shower).  I figure most people don't give a rip about getting thirty minutes to exercise.  They just don't want to be at work.

2013-02-22 1:08 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
I like the 30 min of activity. I'd say more would be better (1 hr) but it's something.

Why not do like Toyota in Japan. Make everyone do 30 min of stretching and calisthenics in the morning.

2013-02-22 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Get one hour a day and can combine it with my 30 minute lunch.
2013-02-22 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4633379

User image

Elite
Cleveland

DanielG - 2013-02-22 2:00 PM Money-wise it would be more attractive to me for the company to have a deal with a local heath club for free or substantially reduced fees than have time off.  

My company has this with a small gym across the street from our office.  Work pays half of the monthly membership and payroll deducts the other half so I never even have to sweat a payment. I think that it is one of the absolute greatest benefits I've ever had with any company.

2013-02-22 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4633400

User image

Champion
Chicago
cgregg - 2013-02-22 1:18 PM

DanielG - 2013-02-22 2:00 PM Money-wise it would be more attractive to me for the company to have a deal with a local heath club for free or substantially reduced fees than have time off.  

My company has this with a small gym across the street from our office.  Work pays half of the monthly membership and payroll deducts the other half so I never even have to sweat a payment. I think that it is one of the absolute greatest benefits I've ever had with any company.

Yeah our company gets us a discount at the local gyms and then does a pre-tax deduct for the fees we do pay. Our company also pays for races when three or more employees do the race. I am doing the NYC Tri and Chicago Marathon this year, on the company, and maybe a few more races if I can find the time.

I would say make it an hour and organize something during that hour. Say `Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays you'll get an hour off from 11-noon to do whatever you want. During that time we're going to have a group run and we're all going to stop at that healthy wrap place on the corner for lunch after, if you care to join.' That way it gives them incentive to do something with their coworkers other than standing outside watching grass grow if they so choose.
2013-02-22 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4633386

Master
Houston, TX
mehaner - 2013-02-22 1:04 PM

the problem I would have is if it is exercise specific - 30 minutes isn't enough time.  if you don't have a gym or locker room on site, that 30 minutes doesn't really do anything for them.

if you feel like an hour per week you can afford the lost productivity, why don't you just let everyone quit early on fridays?  i would like that much more.

Ditto.

I think it's more likely to be used as a smoke break by smokers and extra lunch time for non smokers.

2013-02-22 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4633400

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I appreciate the comments, I considered many of these things as we thought through it.  I'd love to hear more from folks who have something like this.

Our employees have access to a gym, we work at a University.    I originally wanted it to be exercise specific, because frankly many need it, but my colleague steered me toward letting them decide what to do.  They literally can sit in their cars and nap if they want to.  I am not asking for a report of what they do.

My view is that it's a supplement.  They are allowed to add it to their lunch break or come in late/early (i.e. go to a gym class that might make their too late for work otherwise).  I might drive to the gym (off campus) for a lunch class.  In the past it was too tight to do that, drive, and eat in 1 hour. Basically I am affording time to eat lunch.  Same with the campus workout facility.  1 extra half hour added to their existing breaks makes a workout possible without feeling like you need to eat at your desk.

I agree this would be a can of worms in a bigger department and we thought about the personalities before going forward with even considering the idea.

We aren't considering other ideas/time off, etc.  We have that already built into the culture.  If you're caught up (mostly, what salaried employee is ever "done"?) and it's Friday afternoon and you want to leave early, go for it.    What I like about this is that it's something you can plan for.    The whole point is that it's to improve health, very specifically.  It's not mandatory.

2013-02-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4633423

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Here are the draft guidelines:

To encourage the ongoing physical and mental health of staff, we are offering a new incentive called “Health Breaks.”  Starting in March, each staff member will be allowed up to three Health Breaks per week.  The program will continue as long as it remains useful and is not disruptive.  

Health Breaks guidelines:

• Up to three per week, 30 minutes each
  • Not mandatory
  • Cannot carry-over to another week
  • Can be a standalone period (i.e. mid-morning break) or add to lunch hour
  • You may use it to leave early or come in late, if your healthy endeavor is off-campus before or after work.
  • Since none of us are hourly employees, we trust in everyone’s ability to manage an appropriate work schedule.  Your supervisor should be informed of your Health Break schedule.
2013-02-22 1:36 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

No we don't get anything like that. We get a subsidized YMCA membership (and no joiner fee, cancel at any time) and that's about it.

I wouldn't mind the 30 minutes, but like MEH said it wouldn't be enough time for me to do anything but a slow walk or easy yoga so I didn't get too sweaty.

I like hearing about companies who give incentives for employees to be healthy - for example I know of one that give you "points" each time you bike/run/walk commute, and "points" for using the company gym, etc. - enough times and your gym membership is free, that kind of thing. Of course they HAVE a company gym (with lap pool!), locker rooms, bike lockers - they make it easy. If there's not an infrastructure in place like that it would be difficult.

2013-02-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4633423

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-22 2:34 PM

The whole point is that it's to improve health, very specifically. 

From what I read in your original post, the point was to reward your employees SOMEHOW since you can't financially reward them due to budget concerns.

To improve health/exercise habits you need to be more specific.  Create a contest or a goal.  That can be really fun.

To reward employees, you have to be more vague so that everyone feels rewarded.

Two VERY different goals.

2013-02-22 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4633425

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-22 1:36 PM

Here are the draft guidelines:

To encourage the ongoing physical and mental health of staff, we are offering a new incentive called “Health Breaks.”  Starting in March, each staff member will be allowed up to three Health Breaks per week.  The program will continue as long as it remains useful and is not disruptive.  

• Not mandatory
  • You may use it to leave early or come in late, if your healthy endeavor is off-campus before or after work.
  • Since none of us are hourly employees, we trust in everyone’s ability to manage an appropriate work schedule.  Your supervisor should be informed of your Health Break schedule.

I will tell you if I read this from my employer I would automatically think "free paid hour and a half each week!" and would have very little issues fudging whether or not I actually used it for healthy activities. Accidentally sleep in? Health break. 

Seems more than easy to abuse, especially if you can use it before or after your work hours. Now if it were something like a yoga class on-site at 1 p.m.... that would be impossible to abuse.

2013-02-22 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4633429

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
This has been instructive in realizing I was not explaining what was in my head to you guys or in the memo to staff.   Editing is under way.

2013-02-22 1:44 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
mehaner - 2013-02-22 1:38 PM

From what I read in your original post, the point was to reward your employees SOMEHOW since you can't financially reward them due to budget concerns.

To improve health/exercise habits you need to be more specific.  Create a contest or a goal.  That can be really fun.

Yes our company has one of those -- a contest to see who can gain the most points by exercising and eating right. Winner gets a prize at the end. I was involved but lost interest quickly as I don't really need an incentive to exercise and the prizes sucked.

The fact is you will NEVER force anybody to exercise or be healthy. They have to want to. As others said, a couple might actually use this for `health breaks' but most will probably just see it as 1.5 hours a week of doing nothing.
2013-02-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4633443

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-22 2:43 PM This has been instructive in realizing I was not explaining what was in my head to you guys or in the memo to staff.   Editing is under way.

glad we could help!!!  haha!

2013-02-22 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

I think the 30 minutes in the middle of the day are tough, but pushing it towards the beginning/end of the day is great.  When I had a gym membership it would always be a race to get there after work before it was too packed, but if I could have left 30 minutes earlier 3 times a week I would have been fully into the workout by the time the masses arrive.   The most universally accpepted "reward" at work is money/bonuses, but I think getting let out early and having race fees paid and things of that extent is a nice gesture.

2013-02-22 1:47 PM

User image

over a barrier
"You may use it to leave early or come in late, if your healthy endeavor is off-campus before or after work."

WhooHoo, I get to sleep in an extra 30 mins!! and go home early on Friday
2013-02-22 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4633448

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
mehaner - 2013-02-22 1:45 PM

BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-22 2:43 PM This has been instructive in realizing I was not explaining what was in my head to you guys or in the memo to staff.   Editing is under way.

At last large employer we got our YMCA membership discounted by the number of times we used the facility the prior year.  So what I did in 2012, gave me that much of a discount in 2013 type of thing.  When we were doing that, I got our family membership free, just because of my workout at the YMCA.  Since you are at a University, that probably isn't an option, but it really needs to be tied into activity, otherwise you will be getting as others said.  Late to work, I was using my 30 minutes to sleep in, or a 30 minute smoke break.  Just my $0.02

2013-02-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4633457

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I don't see anything right now that is stopping my coworkers from coming in late, leaving early, and making up excuses about what they were doing/not doing.  At this point I just have to trust people to do the right thing, and know that some will not.   We only have 7 people (including me and co-director), so it's not like much goes unnoticed. 

I like to think my staff will see it like JonD:  Yay, an endorsement for leaving early enough to get a spot on a treadmill at the gym, guilt-free. 

Updated memo (full version this time):

Dear Staff,
To encourage the ongoing physical and mental health of staff, we are offering staff a new incentive called “Health Breaks.”  Starting in March, each staff member will be allowed up to three Health Breaks per week.  The time should be used specifically for physical exercise or mental restoration.  The program will continue as long as it remains useful and is not disruptive.  

• Time should be spent on improvement of physical or mental health.
  • Not mandatory
  • Since none of us are hourly employees, we trust in everyone’s ability to manage an appropriate work schedule.  Your supervisor should be informed of your Health Break schedule in advance.

Things to consider:

• Think about getting away from your workspace and doing something active.
  • You can take your break with a buddy or organize a group activity.
  • It doesn’t have to be “sweaty”, a meditative walk is one of many options.
  • Think about equipment you could share with co-workers, like free-weights or a jump rope.

I can't control the moral decisions someone might make after reading this, but is it more clear?

2013-02-22 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4633465

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
flip18436572 - 2013-02-22 1:52 PM
mehaner - 2013-02-22 1:45 PM

At last large employer we got our YMCA membership discounted by the number of times we used the facility the prior year.  So what I did in 2012, gave me that much of a discount in 2013 type of thing.  When we were doing that, I got our family membership free, just because of my workout at the YMCA.  Since you are at a University, that probably isn't an option, but it really needs to be tied into activity, otherwise you will be getting as others said.  Late to work, I was using my 30 minutes to sleep in, or a 30 minute smoke break.  Just my $0.02

Our health insurance does allow for a $20 rebate on health club memberships after 12 check-ins, in addition to the free facilities. 

By the way, that's pretty darn easy to cheat too.  Checking-in does not equal working out.  There's always a way to skate by at a job/in life.

2013-02-22 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
mehaner - 2013-02-22 12:38 PM

Agree.

Not rewarding for people who don't like exercise unless they fudge. I'd probably use it to take my wife out to lunch or something. 

Or I would use it to leave 30 mins early for the day when I felt like it. 

I suppose it is rewarding, but I don't think it will do much as far as "health goals". So I guess I like everything except for the reporting it to the supervisor part. I would use it as extra 30 minute breaks at my discretion. Pain in the butt to report it. "Hey, I am leaving 30 mins early, I have 2 health breaks left." Suerpvisor: "Are you going to the gym?" Me: "ummmm yeah". 

2013-02-22 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4633471

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

By the way, I often run at lunch.  We're down with sweaty workers here.  Just the flip-side to "I couldn't do a real workout during the day."  Some can

And no one here smokes.  They are actually a ridiculous bunch who toe the line and need an excuse to leave their desks.     I am the only one who routinely shows up late

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving employees time off for exercise Rss Feed  

of 2