General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Data on % of FTP for racing with power? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-25 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4636695

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Data on % of FTP for racing with power?
tri808 - 2013-02-25 2:53 PM

Lastly, I don't care how fit you are, the last 6 miles of a HIM run is going to be mental.  You would like to think that you can simply ignore the outside factors and run your own race, but you can't deny that you mentally respond better when you're constantly passing people (because you raced conservatively early on) at the end of the run compared to being passed (because you pushed it a little too hard and are now fading).  If you can do things to help you win the mental battle when it counts, your body is more likely to perform to your expectations.

Best of luck to you.

Some of the best advice I've seen lately....well said Jason.

2013-02-25 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4634674

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-25 5:57 PM
in reply to: #4636099

Extreme Veteran
Meulen - 2013-02-25 11:57 AM
JZig - 2013-02-24 8:03 PM
marcag - 2013-02-24 5:17 PM

A couple of suggestions for knowing if your FTP is ok for determining HIM pace...

Do 2x20 at 100% of FTP. If you can't do it, your FTP iis too high

Do an Oly at at least 90% of FTP. If you can't do it or can't run, your FTP is too high

Do a race rehearsal, 3hrs at 80% + a 30' brick. If you can't run properly, you are too high.

Those were my three tests to confirm my target pace and then I adjusted on race day.

I've got an Oly scheduled for a few weeks before the HIM on what should be similar course conditions. It should be a good indicator or how to set my expectations.

I will say that 3 hours at 80% sounds like a pretty tough ride.

HIM at 80% is a tough ride.  It's an estimate.  I hear this number thrown out here all the time, but in reality you need to be really well trained to pull it off.  You're not going to go through a basic HIM plan or any plan to complete an HIM and be able to run after putting in an 80% effort.  IMO to pull that off you need to be "competing" at the HIM level and pretty well adapt to the race distance.  If not, IMO 70% is a more realistic number.

80% of a properly estimated FTP, measured in the aero position is a very achievable goal for someone going around 2h45 on the bike. If you can truly hold your FTP for 1 hour in aero position, you can ride at 80% of it for HIM

The problem is people have over inflated FTPs that they determine on their road bike, in road position from a 20' test. Then they try to apply it to their aero position over 3hrs without having tested it in training

80% is not what you should race at. It's what you should do in a race rehearsal to see if you can run and then adjust accordingly. And when races comes, you adjust it based on how you are feeling and environmental conditions

Edited by marcag 2013-02-25 6:01 PM
2013-02-25 6:26 PM

Expert
McAllen

I don't have a power meter but I do have a HRM, however for racing I feel like its unreliable. The adrenaline from racing boosts my HR so high that my training paces are obsolete. I'm basing this completely off of my half marathon, though. I did a few HR tests and watched all my average runs (perceived exertion and so on), adjusted my aerobic HR for running to be approximately 162. 155 was generally the training zone to be safely in an aerobic area. More than 165 I could feel my legs getting heavier (depended on the day but that's plus or minus two bpm)

When I ran my half marathon, I finished in 1:45. My average heartrate was close to 170. Did I not push hard enough when I tested myself or did I underestimate my LT? I used it as a guideline and not a limiter, obviously since it was so much higher than my estimated LT, but towards the last 2 miles my HR was close to 183 BPM which is hard to do unless I'm doing sprints. I can only imagine the same thing would happen for me on the bike leg. 80% would put me at 130.4 BPM, but I guarantee I can hold 145 for even a 3hr bike ride.

Just kinda using this anecdote to say heartrate will be inconsistent for racing events (and for longer than what you test for) to back up what the other people are saying. Guidelines good, HR as a rule bad.

Anyone else think racing naked would be best (electronics-wise. That'd be bad chafing)?

2013-02-25 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4636780

Master
Salt Lake City
odpaul7 - 2013-02-25 4:26 PM .....Anyone else think racing naked would be best (electronics-wise. That'd be bad chafing)?

I typically race short course, and prefer racing this way but that is with lots of experience training and racing at and well above the race distances and overall time. So I've got a good frame of reference in my head of how hard I need to go. I'm no sure that this would be a good idea for the HIM and IM distance where you're increasingly pushing into unfamiliar territory. You're also dealing with a situation where smaller differences in RPE can have huge effects on overall race performance.
2013-02-25 6:53 PM

odpaul7 - 2013-02-25 2:26 PM

I don't have a power meter but I do have a HRM, however for racing I feel like its unreliable. The adrenaline from racing boosts my HR so high that my training paces are obsolete. I'm basing this completely off of my half marathon, though. I did a few HR tests and watched all my average runs (perceived exertion and so on), adjusted my aerobic HR for running to be approximately 162. 155 was generally the training zone to be safely in an aerobic area. More than 165 I could feel my legs getting heavier (depended on the day but that's plus or minus two bpm)

When I ran my half marathon, I finished in 1:45. My average heartrate was close to 170. Did I not push hard enough when I tested myself or did I underestimate my LT? I used it as a guideline and not a limiter, obviously since it was so much higher than my estimated LT, but towards the last 2 miles my HR was close to 183 BPM which is hard to do unless I'm doing sprints. I can only imagine the same thing would happen for me on the bike leg. 80% would put me at 130.4 BPM, but I guarantee I can hold 145 for even a 3hr bike ride.

Just kinda using this anecdote to say heartrate will be inconsistent for racing events (and for longer than what you test for) to back up what the other people are saying. Guidelines good, HR as a rule bad.

Anyone else think racing naked would be best (electronics-wise. That'd be bad chafing)?

I agree that HR can vary during races.  For some people like Bryan Dunn, his HR training and racing is extremely dialed in and he can rely on it like his best friend. 

I'm more like you.  My race HR tends to be off the chart a little.  I've done one hour running races with my avg HR is around 183, and 1 hour cycling TT's where my avg HR is around 183.  I pretty much never reach that HR during run training, and only get that high on the bike during sprint like efforts.  My HR also doesn't follow the general "rule" that your cycling HR should be 5-10 bpm lower than your running HR.

Anytime we are using electronic metrics like power and HR, you have to understand exactly their strengths and weaknesses.  Power does not take into account weather, sickness, or fatigue.  HR can be impacted by many things.  RPE can be fairly reliable at times, but excitement in the beginning of a race can mask RPE if you aren't careful.

This goes back to what I was saying about having race experience and how difficult it is to nail a long course race on your first try.  While it may be beneficial to race "naked" if you don't yet know how to interpret and balance these metrics on race day...it may be valuable to at least collect the data but not actually look at them while you're racing.  Then at the end of the race, compare how you felt to what those metrics said after uploading to your computer.  Maybe do this a few times so you now have more data to look back on and see if there is a reasonable pattern to what metrics work best for you, and how you may need to adjust those metrics on race day.  FWIW, in my last running race a couple of weeks ago, I captured HR, but purposely did not look at it during the whole race.  I haven't been using HR on the run that much for training and racing until recently, and knew that any HR number I saw while racing would not mean much to me at that time.

2013-02-25 6:55 PM

Pro
Woodstock,GA
odpaul7 - 2013-02-25 7:26 PM

As a coach I need for my athletes to race with their gadgets so I can see what went on during the race. I also give each of my athletes a pacing plan based off of what they did in training (i.e. target wattage/HR/pace) not to mention that race data is the BEST data there is. You will never push yourself harder than in a race setting and that is something that you just can't simulate in training.

For short course races the gadgets are more for the after action race review (telling us what the athlete did) vs long course where we use them as pacing tools (telling us what the athlete is doing).

2013-02-25 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4636754

2013-02-25 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4636803

Edited by Fred D 2013-02-25 7:13 PM
2013-02-25 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4636836

Elite
Cleveland
So, to sum it all up:  Experience is that thing you get right after you needed it.  Laughing
2013-02-25 8:59 PM

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Power has been great for me for training. It has forced me to train in a way, and at an effort level, that I know I would not be doing without the external whip to drive me.

I know that I am guilty of having an elevated FTP based on a 20 minute test, in a road position, on a trainer, not after swimming, etc, etc, etc.

What I have also done is used the power meter for every ride for the last two years so I have a very good sense of what effort is required to generate certain power levels. While racing, I know that I can't generate 70-75% of my inflated FTP in an IM and expect to run fast off the bike. I have learned this and adjusted my goal power down. I am probably riding at 70-75% of my TRUE FTP but say 67-70% of my inflated FTP. That is what training does. It takes your data and teaches you how you will feel when you use it. (maybe I should just do a true one hour FTP test but I don't know if I really want to suffer that much)

With my plan I have run a 3:32 and a 3:22 IM marathon so it has worked out OK. What someone said above is spot on as well; it feels good to be running and passing at the end, even if it felt pretty lousy to let everyone go on the bike.

2013-02-25 11:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
odpaul7 - 2013-02-25 6:26 PM

If you are saying (i'm not 100% clear on this) that you think your LT heartrate is about 162 I would say that you have calculated that a bit low.  I'm close to your age and mine is 179. 162 would be the top of my zone 2. 170 would be near the top of zone 3, which sounds like a reasonable average for a HM.

2013-02-26 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4637039

Expert
McAllen
dmiller5 - 2013-02-25 11:28 PM
odpaul7 - 2013-02-25 6:26 PM

If you are saying (i'm not 100% clear on this) that you think your LT heartrate is about 162 I would say that you have calculated that a bit low.  I'm close to your age and mine is 179. 162 would be the top of my zone 2. 170 would be near the top of zone 3, which sounds like a reasonable average for a HM.

Yeah putting all those numbers there was a bit confusing for me, too. Depends on what zones you're talking about as well. For me: Z1=recovery, Z2=low aerobic, Z3=high aerobic, Z4=threshold, Z5=anaerobic

162 is about the top end of my high aerobic. 164-165 is where my legs start getting buildup from lactic acid (in training. The race was wonky!)

Also, every person's heartrate zones are different regardless of age. Even if we're both 18/19, my LT could be 150 and yours 170. Though that isn't the case, its plausible.

2013-02-26 10:30 AM

Master
Bedford, MA
Another thing to consider is the relationship between HR and power. I race with both as metrics, as I imagine many with power do. I think it helped me out this past year in Vegas when the temps were crazy high (100) for an east coast guy. I went into the race with a goal wattage in mind based on long training rides. I knew that my HR zone for a HIM was in the 154-156 range, but about an hour into the bike My HR was in the low 160's and my wattage was about 5% lower than expected. Rather than pushing to achieve what training had told me I could do (in cooler conditions), I backed off, let my HR fall into the proper HIM zone (for me), and ended up with my overall wattage being 10% lower than expected. However, as a result of backing off on the bike I was able to salvage a decent run, even when many people succumbed to the heat. I was able to move up nearly 100 spots in my AG during the bike and run (and yes, I'm working on my swim!).
2013-02-26 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4637441

Elite
Ontario

natethomas2000 - 2013-02-26 11:30 AM Another thing to consider is the relationship between HR and power. I race with both as metrics, as I imagine many with power do. I think it helped me out this past year in Vegas when the temps were crazy high (100) for an east coast guy. I went into the race with a goal wattage in mind based on long training rides. I knew that my HR zone for a HIM was in the 154-156 range, but about an hour into the bike My HR was in the low 160's and my wattage was about 5% lower than expected. Rather than pushing to achieve what training had told me I could do (in cooler conditions), I backed off, let my HR fall into the proper HIM zone (for me), and ended up with my overall wattage being 10% lower than expected. However, as a result of backing off on the bike I was able to salvage a decent run, even when many people succumbed to the heat. I was able to move up nearly 100 spots in my AG during the bike and run (and yes, I'm working on my swim!).

I agree that for long course racing HR + power is a very good idea.  Some people dump HR and rely only on the power metrics, but then you only get half the picture. 

2013-02-26 10:37 AM

Elite
Ontario

I do have one question for the group replying here.  Are you guys basing your % off NP or AP (I try to always use NP), and at HIM distance what kind of VI do you target?

2013-02-26 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4637455

Not a Coach
Media, PA
GoFaster - 2013-02-26 11:37 AM

I do have one question for the group replying here.  Are you guys basing your % off NP or AP (I try to always use NP), and at HIM distance what kind of VI do you target?

NP with a VI as low as possible for the course.   That can vary quite a bit depending upon the length and terrain (eg, a hilly sprint is going to have a much higher VI, while a flat IM should be very close to 1).  But, even limiting the distance (to HIM in your case) leaves a wide range to account for the terrain.  I would guess most HIM courses should land you in the 1-1.1 range--that's pretty wide--and a few could be even higher.

As others noted, a 20min test gives only an estimate of your FT.  It is NOT the best way to ever determine your FT (see this) and, therefore, should not be used on it's own to set your targets for an HIM or IM.

2013-02-26 11:53 AM

Master
Bedford, MA
GoFaster - 2013-02-26 11:37 AM

I've based all my racing on AP, and don't look at NP until after the race. I had a VI of 1.04 in a recent HIM (278/291).

2013-02-26 12:39 PM

Master
Northern IL
GoFaster - 2013-02-26 10:37 AM

I use NP for this. I don't really look at VI much and just try to apply power how I think it will best get me to the end.

2013-02-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4637629

brigby1 - 2013-02-26 8:39 AM

I use NP for this. I don't really look at VI much and just try to apply power how I think it will best get me to the end.

Given though that the Edge 500 has only recently had the update to even show NP as an on field data screen, I haven't actually raced using NP on hilly courses but would do so going forward.  In the past when using AP was the only option, I would sort of just guestimate what AP should be based on similar training rides, use that as a general guideline, and adjust from there on race day.

I would also agree that I don't specifically shoot for a given VI.  IMO, I think it's way too hard to manage unless you have a lot of experience with the course.  I mean, if you shoot for an overall VI of 1.04, and the first 28 miles are dead flat, and the last 28 miles are hilly...you probably need to have your VI close to 1.00 for the first half, and higher during the second half.  If your VI is 1.04 during the first half, you might "think" you're right on target...but you're not.  I look at VI after the race to help evaluate my decision making. 

2013-02-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4637670

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Just want to clarify that I don't manage AP, NP or VI in 'real-time'.  I look at 'live' watts and have rough targets for where I should be on different terrain (eg, a 'cap' on watts for long climbs, maintaining power until speed exceeds a certain level, etc).  I have a plan, but always manage based upon where I am at the moment.  Yes, race (and course) experience helps.  Though I've found (good) training gives you some pretty valuable experience on which to lean, as well.

2013-02-26 1:27 PM

Elite
Ontario

I'm in agreement with the other thoughts on using NP vs AP during the race.  As for VI, I don't take that into consideration in real time,  but was curious what others aimed for at the HIM distance.  And again, I agree that if you are racing something hilly vs flat, there should be a greater variation.

I also like John's comment about putting a wattage cap on certain segments.  I think this is sometimes more important than an overall or lap target.

2013-02-26 6:48 PM

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I (and my athletes) use NP to manage wattage during long course races. With the Joule showing real time NP IMO it is the best metric to use for pacing. To echo what a few others have said here I also have real time wattage displayed so I can get instant feedback on what I am doing at that moment. I also prescribe wattage "caps" for certain sections of a race (i.e. climbs or an extended rolling section)

As far as VI goes, the closer you are to 1 the better your run will be (generally speaking). On a course such as Louisville that isn't possible due to the rolling nature of the course. What I try to do is find a course that mimics the races course (if possible) and test using different NP/VI combinations to see which one delivers the best run off the bike.

Really good thread. Lots of good information here

2013-02-27 10:01 AM

Extreme Veteran

I use NP. I do not target a VI

I try and cap my power for any burst longer than say 30 seconds. Sometimes it's hard. This is where gearing comes in play. If you can't cap your power, you may need a compact or more cogs in back.

I got a 1.08 Vi in Muskoka which is really high. But I am heavy and that course is hilly.So I blew my cap several times, even in my easiest gears. But it was my best run ever.

Last year at Vegas 70.3 I did a 1.05 and that is also hilly but not nearly as bad as Muskoka

At Florida 70.3 I was almost 1.0 exactly, but that is relatively flat.

Although the theory is to keep you VI low, I find a little variety in my power levels much more pleasant. A constant 80% for the whole course  is much tougher for me than some highs and lows, but that may be just me.

I like hills. It's just gravity is not my best friend being a 'heavier' rider.

Edited by marcag 2013-02-27 10:02 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Data on % of FTP for racing with power? Rss Feed  

of 2