Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-03-13 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4634940

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: 2013 NFL Offseason Thread
Seahawks signed Cliff Avril. Filled our biggest need at pass rusher. Now they can sit back and let the draft come to them.

2013-03-14 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Lots of heat being felt in Foxboro this AM. No one here (boston area) can figure out why this had to happen. The only conclusion is that they didn't want him back. Reports are saying Pats only ever made one offer (2 yr/$10m) and that was it. Major WTF moment here. Many thinking Belichick's ego is getting in the way of decision making.

Can't imagine how PO'ed Tom Brady must be this AM, particularly in light of his restructuring to give more cap room.
2013-03-14 3:11 PM

User image

With the Welker situation...this isn't anything new.  Something has been wrong with Welker and Belichick for a while.  Early in the season when everyone was healthy, Welker wasn't getting much playing time.  It was only when Hernandez and Gronk got hurt did Welker get back on the field full time.

My first guess is that Belichick wants to run an offense capable of going no huddle more often.  This means running 2 TEs, where they can line up in a power running formation, line up one TE in the slot, or run both TEs in the slot if they want to go 4 wide.  This would create HUGE mismatch and substitution problems for defenses because Hernandez and Gronk are both good run blockers and pass catchers.  But what it does is eliminates the need for a slot receiver like Welker.  It puts more emphasis on a true WR since the TEs will fill the spot of the slot receiver more often.

But then NE signed Amendola to a long contract...so now I'm scratching my head again.  Maybe Belichick thinks Amendola will work better as a true wideout than Welker?  He is younger, a tad taller, and a tad faster? 

As with every other discussion, it also comes down to the cap number as well.  Welker's contract will count against Denver's cap $6 million each of the next 2 years.  Details of Amendola's contract are not available other than only $10 million is guaranteed.  This might be like another Flacco contract where Amendola's cap number is friendly the first 3 years, then gives the option for NE to cut him later on.

All I know is that Belichick isn't stupid.  He's got a reason for doing this.

2013-03-14 8:14 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Here are my predictions for the 2013-14 season so far from what I am seeing

Welker and Amendola both end up having great seasons, helps to have hall of  famers throwing you the ball, it can make guys look like superstars.

Mike Wallace will be not much in Miami, which sucks cause Miami is my team.

Detroit is the perfect landing place for Reggie Bush and his career continues to flourish

Alex Smith is a complete bust in KC

The Seahawks WILL NOT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, you heard it hear first. Not buying into Russell Wilson, too much luck last season

Ravens finish in a fight with the Browns for the cellar, The Real Joe Flacco is exposed with no Bolden as a safety net and a diminished Defense

Time to put away my crystal ball for tonight

2013-03-14 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4660393

User image

Elite
Boise
Shermbelle - 2013-03-14 7:14 PM

Welker and Amendola both end up having great seasons, helps to have hall of  famers throwing you the ball, it can make guys look like superstars.

Detroit is the perfect landing place for Reggie Bush and his career continues to flourish

The Seahawks WILL NOT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, you heard it hear first. Not buying into Russell Wilson, too much luck last season

Ravens finish in a fight with the Browns for the cellar, The Real Joe Flacco is exposed with no Bolden as a safety net and a diminished Defense

So basically you are saying you don't know anything about football

Seahawks signed ANOTHER big time pass rusher today in Michael Bennett. We now have 4 guys who had at least 8 sacks last year.

2013-03-15 5:24 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

2013-03-15 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4659152

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Mike_D - 2013-03-14 4:01 AM Lots of heat being felt in Foxboro this AM. No one here (boston area) can figure out why this had to happen. The only conclusion is that they didn't want him back. Reports are saying Pats only ever made one offer (2 yr/$10m) and that was it. Major WTF moment here. Many thinking Belichick's ego is getting in the way of decision making.

Can't imagine how PO'ed Tom Brady must be this AM, particularly in light of his restructuring to give more cap room.

As a Bronco fan - I ain't complaining!

2013-03-15 6:35 PM
in reply to: #4661822

User image

Elite

If he fires his agent, he should do it via fax.  

2013-03-15 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4660393

User image

Elite
Shermbelle - 2013-03-14 9:14 PM

My crystal ball doesn't agree re:  the Seahawks...or Reggie Bush.  The Seahawks are a force in the NFC...and Reggie's not going to be content sharing carries with Leshoure.  

I'd like to add I love Atlanta in the NFC too.  Steven Jackson's got miles left on those tires.  He's a nice upgrade to Michael "No Longer a Burner" Turner.

My Vikes picked up Greg Jennings.  I'm happy...I just hope it wasn't for crazy dough.  Cassel was a great pick-up too.  His presence better light a fire under Ponder's butt.

2013-03-15 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Jennings just signed a 5 year deal with the Vikings.
2013-03-15 8:08 PM

User image

This is sort of like what happened to Anthony Carter when his agent failed to notify the Miami Heat that he would be exercising his $4.1 million player option.  Instead, Carter became a free agent and was signed for the league minimum.  I believe his agent paid Carter the difference though.

2013-03-16 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4661920

Champion
No excuses!

pitt83 - 2013-03-15 8:03 PM Jennings just signed a 5 year deal with the Vikings.

Not sure what I think of this one. He has been a staple on my fantasy team for 5 years but Ponder looks lost at times out there. Maybe if Rudolph continues to flourish, and AP can have another unreal season it could work out nicely. Got about 4 months to figure out if I protect Jennings for another go around.

What are peoples thoughts on D. Bowe resigning in KC with Alex Smith? He can be a beast but I have zero faith in that offense, J Charles is a superstar one week and totally contained the next. 

2013-03-17 8:02 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Donte Donte Donte...

Guy hits and kills a guy crossing the causeway in the dark, then spends 30 days in jail and misses a season. Now, 3 years later, he gets injured in a hot air balloon accident with a power line.

Before you throw out the Karma discussion, consider there have been a large number of high profile hit and run accidents where the drivers obviously ran because they were drunk and hit and run manslaughter is very light compared with DWI manslaughter. I would give Donte a lot of credit for stopping and trying to administer CPR on his victim.

I wonder if he'll get back on the field. He's getting up there in age.

2013-03-17 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4662991

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
GomesBolt - 2013-03-17 8:02 AM

Donte Donte Donte...

Guy hits and kills a guy crossing the causeway in the dark, then spends 30 days in jail and misses a season. Now, 3 years later, he gets injured in a hot air balloon accident with a power line.

Before you throw out the Karma discussion, consider there have been a large number of high profile hit and run accidents where the drivers obviously ran because they were drunk and hit and run manslaughter is very light compared with DWI manslaughter. I would give Donte a lot of credit for stopping and trying to administer CPR on his victim.

I wonder if he'll get back on the field. He's getting up there in age.

I didn't think he'd find a place on a roster this year even before the accident.
2013-03-19 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
2013-03-19 1:55 PM
in reply to: #4666342

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I have to say I'm really enjoying all this drama playing out between Welker and the Patriots. I think everyone suspected all along that New England's ability to play hardball and keep getting or retaining experienced star players at a discount would evaporate as soon as they were no longer a perennial favorite to win it all. I think that's what we're really seeing play out now.

That said, Amendola has to feel like warmed over potatoes walking into that locker room now. The team, or at least Kraft, has made it abundantly clear he was a distant second choice. I'm not entirely sure Belichick wanted Welker back, though. It seemed like he had already designed an offense to go on without Welker at the start of last season, and only the injury to Hernandez and dismal start by Brandon Lloyd changed that plan.

2013-03-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4666373

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

scoobysdad - 2013-03-19 2:55 PM I have to say I'm really enjoying all this drama playing out between Welker and the Patriots. I think everyone suspected all along that New England's ability to play hardball and keep getting or retaining experienced star players at a discount would evaporate as soon as they were no longer a perennial favorite to win it all. I think that's what we're really seeing play out now. That said, Amendola has to feel like warmed over potatoes walking into that locker room now. The team, or at least Kraft, has made it abundantly clear he was a distant second choice. I'm not entirely sure Belichick wanted Welker back, though. It seemed like he had already designed an offense to go on without Welker at the start of last season, and only the injury to Hernandez and dismal start by Brandon Lloyd changed that plan.

Im not sure how you can say they're not a perennial favorite.. 5 Super Bowl appearances and 7 AFC title games in 12 years sounds perennial to me.   Every year they are one of the top 3 or 4 teams (according to Vegas odds) to make it to the SB.  Right now for 2013 they are tied at #3 w/ Green Bay at 7-1 odds to make it to the big game.  Only Denver and SF at 5-1 have better odds.

Would you really be that surprised to see the Patriots in the Superbowl this year?  

Its been interesting listening to sports talk this week in New England as its been the biggest topic.  Im not sure how Welker can walk away from 5 years and 50 mil 2 years ago, or 3 years and 24 last year, or 2 years and 15 mil this year and then take a 2 year 12 mil w/ only 1 year guaranteed as a better offer.  MO - He wanted out.  Welkers agent had a greater value placed on him than the market was willing to pay, and when the market didnt bear fruit, he went to the best offer that was out there besides the patriots b/c he didnt want to prove Belichek right ("Its always good to stick it to Bill every once in a while"  Wes Welker)

2013-03-19 6:35 PM
in reply to: #4666453

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
ratherbesnowboarding - 2013-03-19 2:31 PM

scoobysdad - 2013-03-19 2:55 PM I have to say I'm really enjoying all this drama playing out between Welker and the Patriots. I think everyone suspected all along that New England's ability to play hardball and keep getting or retaining experienced star players at a discount would evaporate as soon as they were no longer a perennial favorite to win it all. I think that's what we're really seeing play out now. That said, Amendola has to feel like warmed over potatoes walking into that locker room now. The team, or at least Kraft, has made it abundantly clear he was a distant second choice. I'm not entirely sure Belichick wanted Welker back, though. It seemed like he had already designed an offense to go on without Welker at the start of last season, and only the injury to Hernandez and dismal start by Brandon Lloyd changed that plan.

Im not sure how you can say they're not a perennial favorite.. 5 Super Bowl appearances and 7 AFC title games in 12 years sounds perennial to me.   Every year they are one of the top 3 or 4 teams (according to Vegas odds) to make it to the SB.  Right now for 2013 they are tied at #3 w/ Green Bay at 7-1 odds to make it to the big game.  Only Denver and SF at 5-1 have better odds.

Would you really be that surprised to see the Patriots in the Superbowl this year?  

Its been interesting listening to sports talk this week in New England as its been the biggest topic.  Im not sure how Welker can walk away from 5 years and 50 mil 2 years ago, or 3 years and 24 last year, or 2 years and 15 mil this year and then take a 2 year 12 mil w/ only 1 year guaranteed as a better offer.  MO - He wanted out.  Welkers agent had a greater value placed on him than the market was willing to pay, and when the market didnt bear fruit, he went to the best offer that was out there besides the patriots b/c he didnt want to prove Belichek right ("Its always good to stick it to Bill every once in a while"  Wes Welker)

OK, perhaps a better word choice should have been "prohibitive" favorite. They aren't the prohibitive favorite they were a few years ago, nor do they have the buzz they once had. They've fallen back to the pack.

My understanding from reading ESPN.com was that the offers extended to Welker from Denver and New England were fairly comparable, with Denver offering more guaranteed cash for this season as opposed to the incentive clauses offered by New England. Considering how Bellichick restructured the offense last year largely ignoring Welker, I'm not sure I would have taken that offer either. For whatever reason there just seems to be bad blood between those two.

I'm just glad some other team has the drama this year. We went through enough of it with Favre around here. In fact, if the reports that Favre helped the Vikings land Greg Jennings are true, we're still not done with that idiot.

2013-05-17 3:25 PM
in reply to: scoobysdad

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Seahawks DE Bruce Irvin suspended 4 games for PED's.

Poor Josh.

2013-05-17 4:48 PM
in reply to: scoobysdad

User image

Elite
Boise
That sucks big time. I wonder if they knew ahead of time though. They drafted/signed a bunch of guys for the DL this offseason.
2013-05-17 4:51 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Elite
Boise
(I dont' see an edit button.)

They shall now be referred to as the Seadderall Seahawks.

2013-05-17 7:30 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Originally posted by JoshR

(I dont' see an edit button.)

They shall now be referred to as the Seadderall Seahawks.

Six players in violation of the PED rules since 2011. Seems the "12th Man" isn't the crowd, it's a pharmacist.
2013-05-20 4:23 AM

User image

Those 6 Seahawks are just the only ones to get caught. You can't look around an NFL locker room and say 90% of the NFL aren't on some PEDs. The testing program is from the 1980s. That's why the only thing players pop for is THC.
2013-05-20 7:28 AM
in reply to: GomesBolt

User image

Regular
Originally posted by GomesBolt

Those 6 Seahawks are just the only ones to get caught.

You can't look around an NFL locker room and say 90% of the NFL aren't on some PEDs.

The testing program is from the 1980s. That's why the only thing players pop for is THC.

I just don't understand why the NFL gets a complete pass on PEDs. It is laughable. Players are coming back from injuries in half the normal time. You have 325 lb guys running 4.5 40s. Guys get banned and then win post season awards, it is such a joke.

I also feel the concussion issue is an extension of the PED issue that no one wants to talk about.
2013-05-20 7:58 AM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Originally posted by Its Only Money

Originally posted by GomesBolt

Those 6 Seahawks are just the only ones to get caught.

You can't look around an NFL locker room and say 90% of the NFL aren't on some PEDs.

The testing program is from the 1980s. That's why the only thing players pop for is THC.

I just don't understand why the NFL gets a complete pass on PEDs. It is laughable. Players are coming back from injuries in half the normal time. You have 325 lb guys running 4.5 40s. Guys get banned and then win post season awards, it is such a joke.

I also feel the concussion issue is an extension of the PED issue that no one wants to talk about.

Interesting article in Bicycling Magazine about concussions and helmets. Bottom line was that helmets protect from straight impact skull fracture but not from "rotational acceleration" I.e. your brain getting sloshed. Woodpeckers are able to bang their head against a tree without getting a concussion because it's straight-on. But if they rotated their heads like at the end of a hammer, the brain would get sloshed.

Pick up that article. It's really interesting.

As for PEDs, the NFL absolutely gets a pass. They are the gladiators of our day and they will keep doping until a few start dropping dead and it gets more media attention.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 2013 NFL Offseason Thread Rss Feed  

of 6