General Discussion Triathlon Talk » athlete tracking? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-02-24 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: athlete tracking?
Is this the athlete tracking company that people typically use in their. IM? .or is there other companies? Thanks

http://www.myathletelive.com/

2013-02-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4634975

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-02-24 9:06 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: athlete tracking?
FELTGood - 2013-02-24 3:12 PMIs this the athlete tracking company that people typically use in their. IM? .or is there other companies? Thankshttp://www.myathletelive.com/

Yes. Used them for the last two years at IMLP and it worked great. He them to ship the transponders to your race hotel/house/etc. Since I know IMLP is your big race this year what you really need to know is that the cellular network in town gets really over-run on race day. Unless things have changed in the past 6 months Lake Placid just does not have the data capacity to handle all the triathlete families and their smart phones. We actually had folks following myathlete live from out of state then calling and texting our Sherpas in LP to tell them where we were. My experience has been that ironman.com tracking stinks - it always seems to crap out late in the day.

2013-02-24 10:18 PM

Elite
Tankboy...was thinking of paying the premium to have it delivered to my home before I go to lp, because I am renting a house.......do I drop it off at lp after the race or do I mail it back? Thanks for info.
2013-02-25 7:07 AM

New user

Cumming, GA

I used it for Augusta 70.3 and it worked great.  The family really appreciated being able to tell where i was at on the bike so they knew when i would be coming back and they could leave the bar/restaurant at the right time and know they didn't miss me. My brother had one as well and was in a different wave so it was fun for them to compare us as well.  Had it shipped to my house before i left and shipped it back when i got back in town.

2013-02-25 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4635434

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

FELTGood - 2013-02-24 11:18 PM Tankboy...was thinking of paying the premium to have it delivered to my home before I go to lp, because I am renting a house.......do I drop it off at lp after the race or do I mail it back? Thanks for info.

Especially a good idea if you're doing IMLP. The wiring under the Oval can really wreak havoc on the timing mats. (In fact, they also manually track people coming through at least the bike finish in case the mat doesn't pick it up.)

I also know that last year the Athlete Tracker didn't pick up my run until I was on Mile 8. (Luckily my boyfriend was keeping an eye on my whereabouts by bike and updating everyone.)

2013-02-25 7:20 AM

New user
The really cool thing about Myathletelive is that for races like full Ironman, where they have cameras with live feeds at the finish, a fmily member 1000 miles away can track you on Myathlete all the way to just about the finish. Right before you get there, they can switch over to the live feed and catch you crossing the finish line. Its much better than waiting for hours watching people cross until you show up. In addition to this, your family or whoever is at the race with you can have an accurate view of where you are in relation to the course. My wife was able to track me all the way through Louisville last year and it cut down on the anxiety of not knowing if I was ok or not. I had many people at home that kept track of me all day and they all said it was much better than the Ironmans website tracking.
2013-02-25 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4635434

Master
...at home in The ATL
FELTGood - 2013-02-24 11:18 PMTankboy...was thinking of paying the premium to have it delivered to my home before I go to lp, because I am renting a house.......do I drop it off at lp after the race or do I mail it back? Thanks for info.

You will mail it back - they provide an envelope with shipping already attached (it is included in your fee). Both times we used them we just dropped it in the Mail in LP before we left town.

on a side note I should mention that the device transmits data via cellular, and coverage can be spotty outside of Lake Placid. It seemed to work ok though - a few drops, but the data packets are so small and it sends them so frequently that it is fairly reliable all day, even in some areas where a cell phone wouldn't work. It just needs to get a little signal for just a moment or two to transmit data evidently.

Another option for tracking is the Garmin GTU10 unit - we use those all the time during training. But for races where they are supported, the myathlete interface is much more useful and user friendly for those that are tracking you. It shows the actual course route (the garmin does not) and a public interface where you can see all of the racers using the device. The garmin requires a private invitation and a (free) garmin account for each person following. That is just too much work for the casual watcher.

2013-02-25 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4635613

Elite
TankBoy - 2013-02-25 8:29 AM
FELTGood - 2013-02-24 11:18 PMTankboy...was thinking of paying the premium to have it delivered to my home before I go to lp, because I am renting a house.......do I drop it off at lp after the race or do I mail it back? Thanks for info.

You will mail it back - they provide an envelope with shipping already attached (it is included in your fee). Both times we used them we just dropped it in the Mail in LP before we left town.

on a side note I should mention that the device transmits data via cellular, and coverage can be spotty outside of Lake Placid. It seemed to work ok though - a few drops, but the data packets are so small and it sends them so frequently that it is fairly reliable all day, even in some areas where a cell phone wouldn't work. It just needs to get a little signal for just a moment or two to transmit data evidently.

Another option for tracking is the Garmin GTU10 unit - we use those all the time during training. But for races where they are supported, the myathlete interface is much more useful and user friendly for those that are tracking you. It shows the actual course route (the garmin does not) and a public interface where you can see all of the racers using the device. The garmin requires a private invitation and a (free) garmin account for each person following. That is just too much work for the casual watcher.

Thanks for taking the time to respond...as well as the others above, I appreciate it....I will probably go with this and not the garmin for the reasons you stated (I may look into the garmin for future training etc) thanks again

2013-02-27 7:10 AM

Veteran
Massapequa, NY
I got one for IM last summer, but did not use it because the transmitter was kind of bulky (huge). Granted, I don't ever run with a fuel belt as I hate things bouncing around. Check to see if they reduced the size of the transmitter. I think they were in the process of doing just that last summer. The big 'ol white one was like the cell phone Michael Douglas used in Wall Street, (the first one). As soon as it arrived I knew I wouldn't wear it. Fortunately, IM live worked just fine for my race, but again, I've heard bad things about that too....should be easier this day and age....
2013-02-27 3:02 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Good info. The site says the transmitter is about the size of a matchbox car and fits in a pouch on the provided (or your own) race belt.

Does the transmitter work under a wetsuit? For those of you that have used these did you add your bib to the race belt after the swim? Hmmmmm

2013-02-27 3:23 PM

It would be interesting if the could leverage the new technology Garmin has on their 510 and 810 cycling computers.  Currently, they can work with your cell phone (I think through bluetooth) to not only transmit current location, but pace/speed, HR, power, etc. 

If My Athlete Live can create new transmitters to talk to devices via bluetooth or ANT+, they could provide much more information for live racing.  Or you could do this now for races if the USAT/WTC lifts the ban on carrying a cell phone with you during races.

Edited by tri808 2013-02-27 3:24 PM
2013-02-27 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4638628

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Dlyon - 2013-02-27 7:10 AM I got one for IM last summer, but did not use it because the transmitter was kind of bulky (huge). Granted, I don't ever run with a fuel belt as I hate things bouncing around. Check to see if they reduced the size of the transmitter. I think they were in the process of doing just that last summer. The big 'ol white one was like the cell phone Michael Douglas used in Wall Street, (the first one). As soon as it arrived I knew I wouldn't wear it. Fortunately, IM live worked just fine for my race, but again, I've heard bad things about that too....should be easier this day and age....

I wore one at IMLOU in 2011 and would describe the transmitter as quite the opposite. It was small, unnoticeable and fit in my fuel belt perfectly. Here's a photo, you can see it on my belt:

2013-02-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4639557

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
lisac957 - 2013-02-27 2:40 PM

Dlyon - 2013-02-27 7:10 AM I got one for IM last summer, but did not use it because the transmitter was kind of bulky (huge). Granted, I don't ever run with a fuel belt as I hate things bouncing around. Check to see if they reduced the size of the transmitter. I think they were in the process of doing just that last summer. The big 'ol white one was like the cell phone Michael Douglas used in Wall Street, (the first one). As soon as it arrived I knew I wouldn't wear it. Fortunately, IM live worked just fine for my race, but again, I've heard bad things about that too....should be easier this day and age....

I wore one at IMLOU in 2011 and would describe the transmitter as quite the opposite. It was small, unnoticeable and fit in my fuel belt perfectly. Here's a photo, you can see it on my belt:

Did you wear it for the swim?

2013-02-27 4:21 PM

Elite
Why would u want to wear it for the swim? I heard just leave it on the bike and go
2013-02-27 4:34 PM

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Well for starters I am a SLOW swimmer. So I figured with 3,000 heads bobbing in the water it would help my DH know when I am getting close to the end of the swim instead of watching for the pink cap/black wetsuitLaughing.  Might as well get $45 worth of use out of the thing, right?

2013-02-27 4:37 PM

Regular
Boulder, CO
I used one at IM MOO last year. Turned it on in the morning, leaving it on my bike (outside - transition is otherwise inside in at MOO), and put the belt on in T1. Worked great for family and friends _almost_ the whole time. There was a short time on the bike where it said I wasn't moving, which was worrisome for some tracking from afar because I'd crashed in the race the year before. It sounds like that was less than a 30min blip in data, though. Friends and especially family at the race found it MUCH more convenient for spectating.
2013-02-27 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4639603

Master
...at home in The ATL

They actually give you specific instructions NOT to wear it on the swim (it wouldn't be able to get a gps signal in the water anyway). Just turn it on race morning, make sure it gets a signal, put it on your race belt (or use the one they provide) and forget about it. It has enough juice to last for the whole ironman day.

As to the size comments from Dlyon, I think maybe you have a "Princess and the Pea" thing going on?  Laughing

Or maybe you just have your movies mixed up? It is not the size of Michael Douglas' cell phone - it is more like the size of Ben Stiller's in Zoolander. And it actally weighs less than two gel packets.

2013-02-27 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4639629

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
TankBoy - 2013-02-27 3:40 PM

They actually give you specific instructions NOT to wear it on the swim (it wouldn't be able to get a gps signal in the water anyway). Just turn it on race morning, make sure it gets a signal, put it on your race belt (or use the one they provide) and forget about it. It has enough juice to last for the whole ironman day.

As to the size comments from Dlyon, I think maybe you have a "Princess and the Pea" thing going on?  Laughing

Or maybe you just have your movies mixed up? It is not the size of Michael Douglas' cell phone - it is more like the size of Ben Stiller's in Zoolander. And it actally weighs less than two gel packets.

Good point, thanks for the info.

2013-02-27 7:47 PM

Veteran
Great White North
My wife doesn't give 2 where I'm at on course so I'm not paying extra for some aftermarket system.
2013-02-28 12:18 AM

New user
Bonney Lake

I used them the last year for a few races. The only issue that ever came up was the correct position of the racer. IMCDA it was a little off here and there but my wife/Sherpa figured it out. When we did a race as a team i used my phone for updates. When I refreshed the screen to see where she was it said she was about 10 miles away. I went to the restroom and came back and she was there. It was off a little. No huge deal but be aware of it.

No to the water. The weight was not a big thing for me either. I do not use the back zip pocket in my tri shorts so i put it in there and went on my day. Never noticed it. Also try it out before the race to be sure you know how it all works, you and your family.

2013-02-28 4:17 AM

Veteran
austin, Texas
Strong advocate for myathletelive. Thought it worked great at IMCOZ and my family had a blast watching me live. My wife also used it to keep track of where I was on the course and could come out and see me when I was coming by, and not have to worry about "missing me" while watching from a specific spot. I cant say enough positive about it.
2013-02-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4640028

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

matcrawf - 2013-02-28 3:17 AM Strong advocate for myathletelive. Thought it worked great at IMCOZ and my family had a blast watching me live. My wife also used it to keep track of where I was on the course and could come out and see me when I was coming by, and not have to worry about "missing me" while watching from a specific spot. I cant say enough positive about it.

Talked to DH last night about using one for Oceanside he likes the idea. Did you run in to accuracy issues as described by edawno?

2013-03-01 3:49 AM

Veteran
austin, Texas
No accuracy issues that I noticed, but it was just for general locations, not garmin 910xt accuracy. I never really compared.
2013-03-01 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4640513

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
rrrunner - 2013-02-28 11:38 AM

matcrawf - 2013-02-28 3:17 AM Strong advocate for myathletelive. Thought it worked great at IMCOZ and my family had a blast watching me live. My wife also used it to keep track of where I was on the course and could come out and see me when I was coming by, and not have to worry about "missing me" while watching from a specific spot. I cant say enough positive about it.

Talked to DH last night about using one for Oceanside he likes the idea. Did you run in to accuracy issues as described by edawno?

You didn't' ask me, but my family said in Louisville there was only one point on the run it appeared I was stopped for like 10 minutes (which I wasn't). Probably a dead spot in cellular coverage is what I'm guessing. But otherwise they said it worked flawlessly. The little icon moves on the screen, it's pretty cool. They met me at every time/place they intended to (which was NOT the case at my 1st Ironman, they missed me about half the time).

They were accessing the information on smart phones and an iPad - said it worked the best on the iPad (not sure if their technology has changed in the past 2 seasons). Other friends at home accessed on a home computer which also worked really well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » athlete tracking? Rss Feed  

of 1