General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Alamitos, California
United States
City of Los Alamitos
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 56s
Overall Rank = 657/1011
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 11/58
Pre-race routine:

It's fun to do an event with friends. My friend Jerry was doing it angain this year. She had trained so much more this year, so she was hoping to break 2 hours since she was 8 minutes over last year. Over the past 4 weeks we have been training together on the run. I was running her pace, but knew I could run faster. Her husband Scott joined us as well it was to be his first Tri. Plus my husband, and another friend, Chris doing her first and a group of friends doing the relay. We decided to go in the 2nd wave so we could be with our friends. Transition opened at 5:30 am. Parking was a little bit of a distance, but my husband and I were bikes 2 and 3 into transition and we were able to get a great spot. Then we helped our friends doing their first get their transition area set up. Our start time wasn't until 10 am, so we had quite a bit of time. We had eaten mini bagels, cream cheese and bacon at home and had snacks to stay fueled while we waited for our start. There were lots of other events going on as well, including a 5K run/walk that my husband Steve's parents (who are in their 80's) were going to do. Although they have been active their whole lives and were recreation road cyclists for many years, they had never done a "timed" event before. We missed their start, but went to the finish line to watch them come over the line. It was fun to cheer on so many participants. I brought my cow bell and the parents actually finished in front of some runners.
Event warmup:

We had a pre-race meeting at 9:30 am and then needed to walk over to the start line. During the meeting I did some toe lifts and then at the start time, I was able to run for about 5 minutes for a warm up. It was starting to get warm and they held us for a while because the first wave cyclists were still on the course and we would have to run across their path. Miss California sung the National Anthem and we were able to start.
Swim
  • 05m 31s
  • 219 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

This year I decided to run to the pool with my cycling shoes on. There were so many small rocks in the transition parking lot that last year I couldn't run until I got to the sidewalk. When I got to the shoe kickoff area, I pointed my toe to remove my shoe and got a huge cramp in my calf. I knew I had pushed hard on the bike. But figured oh well, maybe I wouldn't be "kicking". I jumped in, pushed off the wall and kept swimming. There wer a lot of people in the pool swimming very slowly, so it was hard to get around them. They all stopped at the wall and hung on, I found an open spot to touch and dipped back down under and pushed off navigating under the lane line. It didn't make sense to me that people were hanging on and hand walking along the wall to get under the lane line. Durning the second lap a very slow swimmer was in front of me and evertime I tried to head right, she headed right, then left she headed left. Finally I got around her.
What would you do differently?:

I've never been a fast swimmer. I probably could have pushed a little harder, but I didn't stop at all.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

This was a reverse tri - we came in from the run and changed to cycling shoes,grabbed our bikes and went. My T1 time was 30 seconds slower than last time. I think it's because I ran so hard and needed a little more concentration to change my shoes. My rank within division was 5th. The girls that were faster ran and road in the same shoes. I usually can really rock my transitions, but I would have like to have been faster. Plus the bike out area was very congested and people were NOT running with their bikes. It was hard to navigate around them to get to the exit. I believe that still counted in T1 time. One thing I did do was pull off my visor and garmin as I ran in. I threw them in my transition bag and pulled my helmet on my head. That made more sense than waiting until I got to my spot.
Bike
  • 47m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Just like last year there was a huge head and cross wind on 1/2 of the course. I was able to do 24 miles down wind but really had to push into the wind. This was my first race on electronic shifting DI2. It was nice to shift whenever I wanted, but I pretty much stayed in the small chain ring. The pavement had lots of seams which were a distraction and bumps on the bikes. I pushed the whole way and pass Scott on the first lap. My new running pace mate Maya, I was able to pass on the downwind during the 3rd lap, but she ended up catching my in the headwind.

It seem to be faster in the drops. I should have tried big chain ring more on the down wind.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I was 6th in my division. I think the only way I could have been faster was to run faster with my bike. I did experience cramps when taking off my shoes just before the swim.
Run
  • 35m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run EVER! I started with Jeri since I had been training with her. Our husbands were going to run together and they normally average a 10:30 pace. Jeri decided to do intervals, and I wanted to run the whole thing. I noticed this girl a little bit ahead of us and she had the biggest smile on her face. She seemed to be about my pace and I know I get less bored and don't give up if I have someone to talk to. So we started talking. She apologized right away and said when she races she get's chatty, so she would shut up if I wanted her to. I said oh no, I need to have someone to talk to. We hit the 1 mile mark and she said that was probably her faster run so far. I kept an eye on my garmin and kept our pace within 11:30 to 11:45. She said her coach wanted her to run the whole thing but she just didn't think she could do it. She encouraged me to go ahead and not wait for her, but I knew if I went to fast I would give up and start walking. I probably could have gone a little faster, but I wanted to be in good shape for the rest of the race. Within 1 1/2 miles I passed my husband and Scott who had been doing run walk intervals. They didn't like that too much and sped up. But we passed them again. We only walked through the 3 water stops. The guys were able to stay ahead of us the last 1/2 mile, but as we turned the corner on the last 1/4 mile, at 1/8th a mile out I turned to her and said, we should kick it now and I picked up speed to less than a 9 minute mile. I left Maya, but ran hard all the way into transition. I didn't realize until later this helped me close the gap with my husband and my run time was ONLY 8 seconds behind him. Pretty good considering he usually runs much faster than me. Maya was thrilled. She said that I had helped her get her very best run time ever. I said it was no problem, but I might have second thoughts if it turned out she was in my division and she placed better than me. This was a PR for me for a 5K. I know I always give up on the run, but I'm afraid to push myself and not have anything left at the end. We had talked about training and husbands and races she had done. She was an inspiration, she had lost over 300 pounds over 5 years. We decided that racing is what gave us a reason to train.

My husband says if I could talk that much then I wasn't running hard enough, because he and Scott were both out of breath. But I had a great (and fun run).
Post race
Warm down:

The swim was the last event and we had steps out of the pool then needed to run across the final timing matts. Steve had finished 3:22 ahead of me so we waited to watch the rest of our friends finish. I never did see Maya again. She ended up placing 9th, had a couple of minutes on the bike on me and a minute on the swim. I should have beat her since I helped her on the run, but I had a lot of fun and would do it again.
Jeri wanted to beat 2 hours and she ended up with a 1:45. Even Chris ended up with under 2 hours. It is truly fun to train and race with a group.

Event comments:

This is a great early season race and a great race for anyone that is doing their first tri and don't want to deal with a wetsuit and ocean swim. Chris did fantastic, but the swim was just overwhelming to her. She knows that is where she needs to work.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:31 | 219 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/58
Overall: 0/1011
Performance: Average
Suit: tri top and tri shorts - tough chik
Course: 200 meter serpintine pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:35 | 13.1 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/58
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: three times around the runway and tarmac
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:50 | 03.11 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/58
Performance: Good
Course: out and back along the runway all flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-02-24 7:15 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri

2013-02-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4635236

User image

Subject: RE: Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri
It doesn't get better than competing with your wife and friends Smile
2013-02-26 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4636909

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job, sounds like you had fun.  I can't imagine an Athena division with 58 competitors!  You did great coming in so high.
2013-02-26 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4637991

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks.  They do get a lot of new people in this tri, I suppose because of the pool.   Last year I raced age group and realized if I had done Athena I would have been in top 10.  I had a blast and it made all the training worth it.  Good luck on your season.   I love your Bike riding in the snow!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri Rss Feed