General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 wk program, race complete... what next? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-24 11:20 PM

User image

, Washington
Subject: 12 wk program, race complete... what next?

I'm a rookie with a competitive swimming background through high school.  Been swimming on a masters team for the past four years.  Toward the end of May, if all goes as planned, I'll have completed a 12 week training program almost twice through (w/ slight mods) and my first Olympic distance triathlon (first triathlon of any distance for that matter).

I've been pondering the thought of how to continue my training on into the season after this first race?  I have another oly planned two weeks later, so was thinking about training moderate to heavy for one week, then a quick taper week before race #2.  After that though, what next?  Hop right back into an 8 or 12 week program?  Will the training be too light at the beginning of those programs?  Perhaps select the heavier training blocks and repeat through them as required throwing in one more taper toward the end of the season in late August for a local oly that I plan to race in?

Any thoughts, comments, or sage advice is welcome.

-Nat

2013-02-25 1:57 AM
in reply to: #4635462

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: RE: 12 wk program, race complete... what next?
New goals. Either work on significantly improving your times, or find something new to focus on. Either a marathon, a half ironman or go the full distance.
2013-02-25 12:38 PM

User image

Pro

your race is still 3 months from now.  Focus on that, not what is after.

but if you are already 'hooked' and plan on doing more tri's, then start searching the calendar for what race you wanna' do afterwards.  I trained for my first long sprint tri- thought it was such a hoot, I went and did my 1st oly 5 days later.  took me a couple weeks to recover after that

2013-02-25 1:09 PM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
i've never really followed a plan.  3rd year of competing in sprints and probably 8 years or so in running.  i felt like i had kind of hit a plateau, so i started following a beginner tri 16 wk 3x balanced plan a month ago.  Since my volumes are already kinda high, i started with their most heavy workload, which is like the 13th week.  I'll just build from that point.
2013-02-25 9:23 PM

User image

, Washington

Thanks for the input!  Though I haven't even raced yet, I think I am hooked on the training.  I like the challenge, the people in the sport, and the healthier lifestyle. 

My rough plan for the season is to stick with my 12-week program (Beginner Triathlete 12-week Oly program based on RPE) that will lead me into my first race in late May, then just start it over after the race using the lower volumes at the beginning of the program to ease back into heavier training.  Running through the program again will lead me right into my last planned race of the season.  I'll only taper for my first and last races.

Hope you all have a great season!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 wk program, race complete... what next? Rss Feed