General Discussion Race Reports! » Newcastle Foreshore Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Newcastle Foreshore Triathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newcastle, New South Wales
Australia
Newcastle Triathlon Club
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Whats this? Get up at ridiculous o'clock. Drag all three kids out of bed and drive the 10mins to the event.

Swim
  • 07m 3s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

There were alot of novice swimmers in the water and rather than moving in front of them I sat back at the start. This meant that in the flurry of arms and legs, I was restricted in my swimming. When I found my space I spent most of the rest of the race trying to pass people and get in between some of the slower swimmers. I did go off course once from following someone who I thought knew what they were doing. Plus side is that I did not panic at all...I enjoyed the swim and wish it were longer. 400 is just enough to warm up.
What would you do differently?:

At the beginning I put myself on the outside of the group (on the RHS), I should have stayed in that position and just gone in a straight line. That way I could have probably cur 30secs of my time. Need to push more in the swim.
Alternatively I need to be more aggressive in the water..it is the only thing I am good at so I need to push myself to take advantage of my strength and confidence.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I do find that I have to sit down to put my shoes on, which probably takes more time. Put my visor, sunnies and fuel belt on when I started the run...which was a good idea.
I put a yellow handtowell over the rail where my gear was located in transition and that helped my locate it.

Not anything really...probably just need to finesse it a bit. Maybe elastic laces with help a bit.
Run
  • 45m
  • 7 kms
  • 06m 26s  min/km
Comments:

The run was not good. I don't like running and this was a clear illustration as to why...however I changed my aspirations from wanting to finish with a fast time to wanting to finish by running the entire distance (even if that running looks like jogging to some people). In doing that I would be running for longer than I have before without stopping. My pace is slow...and it is a bit disconcerting seeing all these smiling and passing my run while I am in a whole world of pain. Added to that was a cramping calf from the 5km Pb the previous day and emerging blisters....my kids said I looked cranky, and I probably did. My body fails me, but I did run the distance without walking, not even up the hills.

Well honestly..the only solution is to run faster. I think I need to find my pace and stick to it..if I go 6mins/km across the distances i would be most pleased.even if it is slower than most people
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered aimlessly around the event area and talked to people

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am not a very good runner...I am struggling to like running.

Event comments:

Was very pleased my husband won a 2XU transition bag in the raffle and gave it to me as a gift! Whoo hoo, happy days.

Last updated: 2013-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:03 | 400 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit only
Course: Harbour swim, there had been a low pressure system the previous two days with lots of rain. This has gone into the harbour,so the harbour was quite muddy. Low visibility, and fresh water. The swim was in an easterly direction against some small swells. The tide was high and on the turn or flat so there was no tide assist. The swim was direct into the sunrise.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time:  02:00
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:45:00 | 07 kms | 06m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
HR was massively spiking throughout the run...when I first started I was pretty nervous and it took me a little while to get into the rhythm. They had changed to run route and the length so my novice running got the better of me...my hr was up around the 175 for most of the race.
Course: Hill into Newcastle beach almost killed me...no actually it didn't but it was excruciating.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes