General Discussion Triathlon Talk » inversion tables? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-27 12:22 PM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
Subject: inversion tables?

Has any of you used a inversion table (ie. teeter hang up)? I've got some back issue's and was debating trying one of these.

Edited by Danbones 2013-02-27 12:22 PM

2013-02-27 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4639163

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: inversion tables?

While they may provide short-term relief for back pain, there is no evidence they have and any long-term benefit.  They can also be hazardous for folks with high blood pressure or glaucoma.  Suggest you read some of the actual medical research rather than just the sales literature.  Even better, check with your doctor or a sports therapist for some ideas on how to deal with your pain.  I offer this as someone who's dealt with back issues for 40 years (thanks to high school football).

My 45-year-old obese brother-in-law got an inversion table a few years ago to help with his back pain and then proceded to get stuck in it out in the garage for about three hours one day until my mother-in-law came home and rescued him (he still lives at home).  The thing's been sitting in the corner ever since; if you really want one you could probably make him an offer.

This was after my alternative suggestion to quit his two-six-packs-a-day habit, get some actual exercise and lose about 100 lbs.

Mark  

2013-02-28 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL

I'll play devil's advocate here.  I have a Teeter Hangup model...bought it about 10 years ago and still use it daily.  I have spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra in my lower back - L5/S1).  At the time I purchased the inversion table, I was suffering from a severe case of sciatica.  An MRI indicated severe spinal stenosis as a result from the spondy slippage.  I was certainly a candidate for surgery (which I did not want).  I could easily categorize the sciatic pain in my lower leg as a "10" on most days.  Bought the inversion table and started using it on a daily basis and within 3 months, my sciatica was completely gone and has not returned.  I still use the table every morning, just because it feels good to decompress my spine after sleeping.  My back stiffens up overnight from sleeping...I suspect arthritis has taken up dwelling in the area of my spondy. 

But...I'll agree with the advice on asking a doctor first.  Inversion isn't for everyone...but my body responds to it, and I'll keep on doing it until that changes. 

Linda

2013-03-01 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
I just got one a week ago. You can find them for around $100. I like mine so far and i feel good when i get done, loser than when I started. I do agree that anyone with high blood pressure should avoid them

Edited by lakelandsledder 2013-03-01 2:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » inversion tables? Rss Feed