User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: road rage on a cyclist
Ahedges - 2013-03-11 6:10 AM
Stormsgate - 2013-03-10 9:18 PM
Ahedges - 2013-03-10 1:23 PM
metafizx - 2013-02-28 2:52 PM

even if he did flip him the bird, there's no reason to assault the cyclist...driver should be charged !

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21416790/byram-cyclist-hospitalized-after-road-rage-incident

I may be out f the norm here but where I come from,  if you flip someone the bird, its an invitation to fight.  People do it so carelessly because they havent had their butt kicked because of it.  I have, when I was 20.  I don't flip people the bird often and when I do, I freakin' mean it.  Never on my bike.  I'm not going to challenge someone in a car.  The cyclist is very lucky that he did not get run over or worse, as has been mentioned in previous posts.   We like to believe we are a civilized society but we've got a huge number of powder-keg, unhappy folks out on the roads looking to be badasses cause they spend too much time on the internet acting tough.  Those are the types of folks who will run you over in a moment of blind rage. 

I dont believe in fighting or silly notions of proving your masculinity or any of that crap, but we are still pretty much animals and do animal things.  We get all puffed up  and bird flippy cause we don't actually have to get physical too often, if ever, with other people.

I am the guy and I did not flip him off. Please read. I don't think I'm tough.......like I said please read

I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were egging this dude on and I did read that you did not flip the guy the bird.  I was speaking in general terms and lots of cyclists do flip the bird.  My main point I was trying to get across is that we live in an increasingly angry population and its dangerous to provoke anybody, especially as flipping the bird is increasingly done and not considered a big deal.

I don't excuse what this guy did to you by any means.  Please accept my apology if my post came across as a scolding or anyhing of that nature.

your point is well taken. it's true, lots of nut cases out there that may KILL you if you pop the bird to the wrong person. as in, they don't care what happens to them, so long as you pay for the gesture. 

while it might seem like a legit response to someone's poor behavior, but you never know WHO you are dealing with...and they may set out to prove so.

2013-03-11 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4653742

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Ahedges - 2013-03-10 2:23 PM 

I may be out f the norm here but where I come from,  if you flip someone the bird, its an invitation to fight.  

I dont believe in fighting or silly notions of proving your masculinity or any of that crap, 

So which is it?

2013-03-11 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4655413

User image

It's both.  I don't believe in fighting or puffy displays of masculinity.  I grew up in a town where a lot of people did.  I gave someone the bird when I was 20 for something I cant even remember and paid for it.  With a few punches to the face.  I still get angry though, and sometimes I even want to kick a$$.  and thats silly too.  I'm human, and I'm working on it.  

Again, I didn't mean to imply any fault of the cyclist.  What I thought was clear apparently not.   

2013-03-11 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4654954

New user

Byram
Ahedges - 2013-03-11 11:10 AM
Stormsgate - 2013-03-10 9:18 PM
Ahedges - 2013-03-10 1:23 PM
metafizx - 2013-02-28 2:52 PM

even if he did flip him the bird, there's no reason to assault the cyclist...driver should be charged !

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/21416790/byram-cyclist-hospitalized-after-road-rage-incident

I may be out f the norm here but where I come from,  if you flip someone the bird, its an invitation to fight.  People do it so carelessly because they havent had their butt kicked because of it.  I have, when I was 20.  I don't flip people the bird often and when I do, I freakin' mean it.  Never on my bike.  I'm not going to challenge someone in a car.  The cyclist is very lucky that he did not get run over or worse, as has been mentioned in previous posts.   We like to believe we are a civilized society but we've got a huge number of powder-keg, unhappy folks out on the roads looking to be badasses cause they spend too much time on the internet acting tough.  Those are the types of folks who will run you over in a moment of blind rage. 

I dont believe in fighting or silly notions of proving your masculinity or any of that crap, but we are still pretty much animals and do animal things.  We get all puffed up  and bird flippy cause we don't actually have to get physical too often, if ever, with other people.

I am the guy and I did not flip him off. Please read. I don't think I'm tough.......like I said please read

I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that you were egging this dude on and I did read that you did not flip the guy the bird.  I was speaking in general terms and lots of cyclists do flip the bird.  My main point I was trying to get across is that we live in an increasingly angry population and its dangerous to provoke anybody, especially as flipping the bird is increasingly done and not considered a big deal.

I don't excuse what this guy did to you by any means.  Please accept my apology if my post came across as a scolding or anyhing of that nature.

Oh no.....please excuse me....I misunderstood and that was my fault.  Thank you very much! and i see exactly what you are sayingSmile

2013-03-12 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4640758

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina

So I am totally mounting a gopro on my helmet or bike or both.  Could I also suggest taking self defense classes?  I study Tae Kwon Do which has helped in a few altercations throughout my life and the stretching along with the focus training can also supplement your triathlon training.

As far as altercations go I just want to clear up that I dont go looking for fights but growing up in Missouri, there are alot of drunk farmboys that do look for fights.  Some people just feel the need to fight.

And on another note, most of us drive vehicles and most of  have had to deal with fellow cyclists who think they own the road.  Cutting in front of a moving vehicle or better yet hitting your sideview mirror and not even apologizing.  The best we can do as responsible cyclists is not be those idiots.

2013-03-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4640758

User image

Expert

Out on a ride Saturday.  Usually great drivers around here, but occasionally you'll get that jerk.

We were going down a road about 9 mi long straight into the wind so we ended up in 2 groups.  Back group was about 1/2 back.  All of a sudden this car comes up on our group, laying on the horn the whole way.  Zips by with us about a foot to spare, horn still blaring.

We stop at the store at the end of the road and find out the group behind us flipped him off because he honked his horn at them.   So who did he take it out on, us.  Flipping someone off doesn't help us in the long run.  i know it is tough at times, but if anything, i just wave.  

And yes, I know the person in the story didn't flip anyone off but just saying in general the driver will just take it out on someone else.

Duane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » road rage on a cyclist Rss Feed  

of 3