General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Facsiitis Success Stories?... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-28 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Plantar Facsiitis Success Stories?...

...Let's hear them!!

It's starting to get a little old now...Give me some faith that I'll be back at 100%. I'm about to drop a bunch of money on heat/cold wraps and an ultra sound kit without even knowing if it will do the trick...Can anyone lend an opinion?

2013-02-28 11:33 PM
in reply to: #4641434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Plantar Facsiitis Success Stories?...

I had PF twice and even bilaterally for awhile.  It took a fair while to get it under control but I continued to work every day with it. 

I never used electrotherapy or hot or cold on my feet but I would think the US should help to speed your healing.  Hot and cold wraps should be good to relax the muscles I would think.  I also did a lot of self-massage on my plantar surface of my foot - especially deep into the muscle.

Pay attention to what seems to help you and stick with that.  Don't get discouraged, it's a nuisance but you will get better.  Now, I run and workout far more than I ever did before and I have no problems with my feet at all.

I also got some professional deep tissue massages on my feet that seemed to help as well.

Good Luck.

2013-02-28 11:45 PM

User image

Pro

I was down for nearly 3 months last summer.  Mine blew up suddenly on mile 8 of a planned 15 mile run....and I was done.

I rested, wore the boot, stretched....nothing.

I ended up buying some generic orthotics from Walgreens that were marked as a help for PF....and I wore them religiously all day long.  I was never bare footed in my house or anywhere else.  Slowly I started to feel better. After nearly 12 weeks I started running a mile every other day.....with a loooong calf stretching session after each run.  I slooooowly built up from there.

Today is 172 consecutive days of running for me.  I started at a 2 mile minimum and a long run of 3.5.  January I ran 140 miles in 31 days.  This month I ran 140 miles also, but in 28 days....5 mile per day avg. with a couple of long runs of 11 and a few 2 mile runs because I've been sick.

I can't say that it is 100% gone, because I can still feel a twinge some mornings.....but it leaves quickly.  I still wear the orthotics most of the time and still do a 15 minute routine of calf stretcing after each run.  I hav religiously followed a very slow build up......10% increase each month, and I have slowed mypace considerably......most of my outdoors runs are at 9:30 pace, my treadmill runs at 10:30 pace.  I did one 6 mile run at 8:20 pace.

I'm 53........you will heal if you give it time, and you work on stretching your calves.

Good luck!

2013-02-28 11:58 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I don't know if mine is PF (I keep saying it's not) but it's been an annoying problem in my left foot for quite a long time (on and off all last year). It's much better now, and manageable.

I stopped running for awhile, just cycled...then gradually starting running short distances.

I feel that Hoka's have helped me a lot to reduce the heel trauma.

Still have some tightness, and slight soreness, but seems to be going away. I can run 7miles now without it bothering me.

2013-03-01 1:21 AM

User image

Regular

mine just flared up again recently. I had to miss a couple of runs.  so what I have been doing again and should have been doing is stretching the hamstrings and calf muscles. I also have been icing daily and rolling a golf ball across the arch multiple times a day. I've taped up my arch too some but it does seem to be getting better. 

mine usually flares up on longer runs upwards of 100 minutes or so.

2013-03-01 5:29 AM

User image

Elite
disclaimer: not trying to.solicit especially since most do not live near me and seek care on your own for proper diagnosis yada yada yada

I treat this.problem all the time and have had great success!!!! FWIW here's what I do....I get a bunch of people who refer to me just for this. Assuming your dx is right

I Start with 10-20 min of moist heat and stum, 5 -10 minutes of longitudinal manual stripping of the pf especially proximal and distal to point of pain, passive calf stretching, ultrasound 7 min,and cold laser . At least 2 x per week 6-12 times .

This recipe/ treatment plan works a lot on my patients, but seek your own provider ....good luck it can be helped in most cases.

2013-03-01 5:40 AM

Struggled with this as well; I think of it as God's way of telling me to swim more.

Stretches here helped, especially the first two. Haven't tried the tennis ball roll, but thinking about it feels good.

The important things are rest, then come back sloooowly. I glanced at your profile, OP, and you are relatively young. Be patient, as you don't want to screw things up for your 50s and 60s.

2013-03-01 5:54 AM

User image

I had PF on and off for a year and it eventually became pretty bad. I tried to back off running a little and I began the process of having a new set of custom orthotics made by a new provider. Then I became really sick with whooping cough - I couldn't swim, bike or run at all for about 6 weeks. When I was finally ready to gradually return to running - the pain was totally gone! For me I had to go completely cold turkey on running and biking and for a fairly long time to allow my foot to heal.
I now run with custom orthotics and bike with Specialiized arch support inserts in my bike shoes - my bike fitter said that my high arches were causing my knees to collapse inwards on the bike and that was also contributing to PF.
2013-03-01 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I suffered miserably from this in my late teens, probably from wearing shoes that weren't suited to my biomechanics and running pretty high mileage when (unbeknownst to me) I was still growing. I was in constant pain for three or four years and tried everything short of surgery. what worked for me was deep tissue massage. We got a new therapist in town who used to treat the East German Olympic team. Think I had four excruciatingly painful treatments; could barely walk for a day or so afterwards and did lots of icing. I pretty much stopped running for a month or so as the treatments caused more pain than the injury initially. I did do lots of calf stretching/strengthening exercises. At any rate, I was pain free after 4-6 weeks and it has never recurred. I still have bone spurs on one foot from the PF but they have never caused me any problems beyond occasional blisters when running without socks, so I ignore them. YMMV but if the problem is accumulated scar tissue, that treatment really seems to work. Or maybe just recalling the pain and the therapist (exactly the way you might imagine someone from that program to look; about twice as big as me!) convinced my body not to raise that particular complaint ever again!
2013-03-01 6:17 AM

User image

Regular

I had it in my right foot for about a year.  I took off 12 from running and that didn't help.  What helped that foot was wearing a boot at night.  Now I've had it in my left foot for nearly 2 years, and I have tried everything and just can't get it better.  After getting a cortisone shot in the heel, I ended up with a calcaneal stress fracture and was in a walking boot for 4 weeks and then another 8 weeks of no weight wearing exercise.  Was cleared to start small walks and then jogs and it just came right back.  I've done PT twice have spent enough money on shoes/orthotics to where I could have taken my family to Hawaii.  I've massaged, iced, used heat, foam rolled, rolled on a trigger point ball, stretched.  It gets to the point where I am just going to let it go.  I'm thinking about doing PRP.  My insurance won't pay for it, but 2 people said it helped them.  Oh, and FWIW, whenever I wear heavy stability or motion control shoes, it flares up a lot worse.  Even though I was told I should be in those.  I actually have less pain with my Newton Momentums.  So go figure.  I guess I'm not really a success story, but it's nice to see that there are some successes out there.

jami

2013-03-01 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Has anyone tried barefoot running to combat PF? Just curious since after reading some books a lot of people out there including people with lots of letters after their names think we are ruining our feet by using orthotics/arch support. They say it weakens your' muscles in the foot and makes you run an "unnatural way" hence leading to foot injuries.

Just wondering if anyone cured theirs by doing the "natural way".

2013-03-01 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No, but I can testify orthotics did nothing for me. Wore them for about three years and things only got worse. They also caused a lot of other minor but really annoying problems--constant blisters, ITBS, sore hips and back. Ditto for motion control shoes. I did a lot of barefoot running as a kid and even through marathon training in my late teens (speedwork in grass, sand dune repeats at the beach) and it didn't seem to prevent/cure the PF, though it didn't seem to aggravate it. By itself without treatment to address inflammation and scar tissue buildup, it's probably not enough. The one benefit I saw is that I've almost never had calf cramps or achilles problems--to this day my calves are really strong and resilient. 
2013-03-01 9:02 AM

User image

I had a bad bout in 2003, brought on by a hilly race I was seriously undertrained for.  I couldn't even walk on the foot for a week or 2 without limping, and because I was in small town in Central America at the time, my options for treatment were limited.  I couldn't even search the internet for advice!

I didn't run a step for 2-3 months, and when I started back, I started back extremely conservatively.  At night I would tape my foot in a dorsiflexed position (trying to recreate the sock I'd seen in running magazines).  I wore shoes all the time.  All standard practice (except maybe the not running at all), but mine never came back, knock on wood.  Good luck.

2013-03-01 9:17 AM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland
I've had PF in both feet at different times. Went through some typical efforts (stretching exercises, boot ect.) with first the foot without any noticable results. Finally had cortizone shots, first foot required 1, the other needed 3. It's been 5+ years since the first with no problems.
2013-03-01 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I had it pretty bad one year in my left foot.  I did not buy all these fancy heat/cold wraps...did not pay any money for massage stuff specifically for it...I will give away my secret...

I bought a can of peas, stuck them in the feezer.  Each night as I would sit in my recliner drinking a beer and watching TV before bed I would have the frozen can of peas on the floor under my left foot.  I would put pressure on it and roll it back and forth while I watched TV.  Never slowed my training, would just take a couple IB Proufen before my long runs.  Within a couple weeks of doing that every night for at least an hour it was gone.

You ask why canned peas..unlike ice packs and wraps, frozen vegtables thaw from the inside out, plus it is in a nice rolled shape and they are not pressurized when sealed and will not explode when frozen..

I still have the same can for the last few years sitting in my freezer, it works great for neck pain and lower back pain from a hard training session, the shape is perfect to sit under your back/neck on the floor and you can just relax and watch a few shows while the cold does its magic...

2013-03-01 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4641672

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Bevie - 2013-03-01 7:10 AM

Has anyone tried barefoot running to combat PF? Just curious since after reading some books a lot of people out there including people with lots of letters after their names think we are ruining our feet by using orthotics/arch support. They say it weakens your' muscles in the foot and makes you run an "unnatural way" hence leading to foot injuries.

Just wondering if anyone cured theirs by doing the "natural way".

This is how I got rid of it in 2009 and have never had an issue since. I did all the stuff-inserts, stability shoes, wear shoes all the time etc. Didn't do any good. Actually seemed to make it worse. So I went to the opposite 'extreme' and never looked back. I am a huge believer in the human body. For the record, I did a bunch of barefoot running on grass and rolled the bottoms of my feet with a hard ball every chance I got. I carried that ball every where. I bought a pair of light weight neutral shoes for running. Gradually I made my way to more minimal shoes. I'm a natural midfoot striker and started running in Altra zero drops and adore them.

Food for thought-PF is unheard of in tribes that never run in shoes, and was really unusual until shoes started getting over built, over stable, pronation became a dirty word to be avvoided at all costs, your arches simply can't be trusted to do their job and orthotics became the norm.

2013-03-01 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

I've had PF since August last season.  I've significantly scaled back my running.  Took a couple months off entirely.  While doing that I went to Physical Therapy and tried almost everything else to relieve it.  Hot/Cold, massage, lacrosse ball, stretching, foam rolling, mobility exercises, strausberg sock, etc. etc......

After my time off I started running again sparesly.  I spent some time pool running and then progressed to hill workouts.  Hills really seemed to help rebuild fitness by running at a slow pace and lower impact but still difficult.  I ran hard in the pool too.  Then worked on my run form moving toward higher cadence and shorter stride.   

Earlier this week my coach sent me a Training Peaks notification that my running thresholds have increased!!!   I was shocked because of the lack of running, and the 30 min TT that was the breakthrough workout was the longest distance I'd run since August 2012!!  But the hard work in the pool and hills paid off.

I'm not 100% now.  I still have tighteness and some slight pain.  But I have it under control now.  I continue the lacrosse ball rolling, foam rolling and mobility and hot/cold wraps.  It's now tolerable to wake up in the morning after a tough run!

2013-03-01 10:56 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN

Stretches and "sleeping" in a Strassburg sock.

2013-03-01 11:43 AM

User image

Bronze member

I had PF oh geez, probably about 12 years ago I guess. It hit hard and I was down for 9 months with no running. I would get it cleared up in one foot then it hit the other foot. It finally went away after several things - cortisone shot, pres. orthotics, moved away from the structured motion control shoe I had been running in, changed the shoes I had been wearing to work.

Don't give up hope, keep looking for an answer. I know people have mixed feelings about the shot. I was at my wits end and that is what the doc recommended at the time and I would have tried anything at that point. It hurt just to walk around, forget about running. I was teaching preschool all day back then. I could not take another gym time trying to teach the kids to gallop, skip, and jump with my foot hurting so bad all day long.

Once it went away it has never come back for me so there is hope! No more problems with PF for all of these years.

Best wishes!

2013-03-01 12:05 PM

User image

Bronze member

Just giving my two cents about the custom orthotics - In my case they really did help me get relief from the PF. They were not THE solution because I did still have some issues after I had the orthotics, but they did help. 

That said, I was then convinced the orthotics were the answer for my feet and wore them in all shoes at all times. I woke up and put on shoes. I then spent many years with other foot problems including frequently rolling my ankles. My personal feeling, and this is only my opinion, is that the orthotics raised my foot up enough out of my shoe so that my already loose and overly flexible ankles lost all stability. My feet no longer had any feel for the ground underneath me.

Over the course of the last year and half I have stopped wearing any orthotics and moved to a neutral, low drop shoe. I have not rolled an ankle since wearing these shoes. Crazy, because if I would go into any running store they take one look at my low arches and over pronation and put me in a stability or motion control shoe in a heart beat.

2013-03-01 12:08 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Orthotics didn't help me either. Aggressive physical therapy, including stim and occaisonally very painful massage/manipulation worked and I haven't had a problem with it in over a decade. I had PF before I started running and even though my running mileage has increased from zero to...more than zero, I haven't been bothered by it at all.

2013-03-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4642203

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
trigal38 - 2013-03-01 12:05 PM

Just giving my two cents about the custom orthotics - In my case they really did help me get relief from the PF. They were not THE solution because I did still have some issues after I had the orthotics, but they did help. 

That said, I was then convinced the orthotics were the answer for my feet and wore them in all shoes at all times. I woke up and put on shoes. I then spent many years with other foot problems including frequently rolling my ankles. My personal feeling, and this is only my opinion, is that the orthotics raised my foot up enough out of my shoe so that my already loose and overly flexible ankles lost all stability. My feet no longer had any feel for the ground underneath me.

Over the course of the last year and half I have stopped wearing any orthotics and moved to a neutral, low drop shoe. I have not rolled an ankle since wearing these shoes. Crazy, because if I would go into any running store they take one look at my low arches and over pronation and put me in a stability or motion control shoe in a heart beat.

I agree with this totally!  Orthotics was an essential part of my rehab.  I still where them day to day and running.  However, I do think that once you get the problem solved it would be better to address the problems roots and move toward minimalistic footwear.  I think it has to be done carefully, but if it's done right you can continue strengthening the weakness that caused the problem in the first place.

2013-03-01 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Survived it and still get a twinge now and then but changing my shoes more often, wearing compressive running socks, and rolling a tennis ball and frozen water bottle at my desk seemed to help most. Feetures running socks with light compression seem to be keeping my feet happy but they also make a PF sleeve.
2013-03-01 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Wow! Thanks for all of the information, guys...Just knowing that so many people have dealt with this makes me feel a little less disabled.

I have started rolling with a frozen water bottle nightly and I think I'm going to start doing it more often. I've also been prescribed Nuproxen and that does seem to make the pain go away. (although, "pain" is of little concern...I want to be able to enjoy our perfect weather running trails and races without causing further damage) I'm trying my hardest to avoid injections...Not only because the though of a needle going into my foot makes me nauseous, but my doctor himself said that it could lead to other tendon damage and he only likes to do it as a last resort. I think the biggest thing for me is going to be not training...I've recently re-aggravated a back injury so even swimming and biking has been out of the question for about a week. As you can all imagine, I'm going a little crazy...

As always, thank you for the advice...

2013-03-02 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I had success with Superfeet orthotics. I wore them in all my shoes and wore Birchenstocks at home. That correct most of my problem.

But I had slight chronic pain for a long time until I started massaging daily with one of those hard nubby rubber balls. It almost worked like a miracle.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Facsiitis Success Stories?... Rss Feed  

of 2