Other Resources My Cup of Joe » any religious people coming to terms with new found atheism? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

any religious people coming to terms with new found atheism?
OptionResults
yes10 Votes - [40%]
no15 Votes - [60%]

2013-03-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4651080

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: any religious people coming to terms with new found atheism?
KateTri1 - 2013-03-07 8:39 PM

All I want is for my son to have a fear of SOMETHING, a bit of conscience, and not be a narcissist. One cannot believe how bratty selfish and overall entitled orientated kids can be, and that includes my son's best friend and many of the kids I teach at school. 

I started teaching him about character when he was old enough to communicate. He's almost a teen and it's ongoing... The kids that know how to work their butt off and be respectful of others and adults, are the ones who can be the most successful. If religion helps in this process then I'll encourage him in his faith. 

That's an interesting angle.  Growing up I truly never understood old folks who wanted to instill a "fear of God" into their kids.  I still personally disagree with the tactic.

There's enough to fear out there as it is.  The world is filled with billions of examples of folks with no initiative, tons of fear, no moral compass.  I guess religion can be a tool to help better our kids' odds, but it's absolutely not the only (or in my opinion) the best tool out there.

btw, you described your son's best friend as "bratty selfish and overall entitled..."  Does your son view his best friend in this light?  Is he demonstrating similar traits?  One of the most underrated talents for young folks in my opinion is choosing friends effectively.  Yeah, we all kind of fall into certain classrooms, places, etc., but eventually the insightful kids are going to get away from the bad influences without having to be led away from them.  Since he's not a teen yet, there's still time if he doesn't recognize his friends' shortcomings.

I guess what I'm rambling about is...why fear anything?  Respect is earned and learned.  Religion is absolutely not required.  I've seen it used effectively and I've seen the best intentions backfire tremendously.  

2013-03-07 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4650952

User image

Bronze member
tuwood - 2013-03-07 5:22 PM
kevin_trapp - 2013-03-07 3:32 PM
pilotzs - 2013-03-07 2:30 PM
I don't have kids but I can imagine that as a parent, if your kid doesn't show you gratitude for giving him life, caring for his needs and loving him that you'd be pretty ticked off.  I look at praise and worship as a way of thanking God.  Asking your kid for a thank you once a week doesn't seem like asking too much.

I get what you're saying, but look at it from the other side.  If your kid didn't thank you or show you gratitude, would you cast him in to a burning pit for all of eternity out of spite?  Sort of contradicts the whole unconditional love thing in my opinion.

What if God doesn't cast you to a burning pit, but maybe it's something equally as bad.

Maybe hell is actually banishment from the ability to enter Heaven and be with God and in communion with him, based on choices that you made.

Much like a child may decide to sell drugs, kills someone and get locked up for life. That parent may still love their child unconditionally, but the child made decisions of their own free will, which led to them having to spend a lifetime separate from their parents and in a personal hell called jail.

As JPII stated:  "hell is the ultimate consequence of sin itself... Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy".

In the end, we cannot comprehend  the meaning of  "God" as humans.  We can only come to understand him as best we can with what we have.

Another thought:  the search for knowledge, wisdom and truth through Science or other means are not separate from God. It's quite  possible, that God has set us on this  path, in search of him.  We can only comprehend what we can conceive as humans to date.  If God is in fact infinite, and created the Universe, it's possible that he created all Universes, etc.

If one of my sons grows up and kills someone, they should be incarcerated.  I will still love them, but they should absolutely be in prison.  If one of my sons grows up and doesn't love me, or doesn't want to talk to me, or doesn't constantly praise me and thank me for giving him life, I do not get to have him arrested and tossed in jail.  And even if I could, I would not.  Because I want my children to be happy.  I would never turn my back on my child just because he turned his back on me.

Obviously, I do not believe in God or any gods.  I wish I did, but I do not.  Quite frankly, my belief of the afterlife (which is to say I do not think any such thing exists) is pretty depressing.  I'd love to know that there are souls that spend eternity in some wonderful spiritual plane, or get reincarnated over and over again, or that I can just float around the local haunted house scaring teenagers.  I'd love to know that it doesn't all just end.  But that would take faith.  I've been to various churches, looked at different eastern and western religions, read a good chunk of the bible.  At the end of the day, I do not have any faith.  If I could fake it, I would.  But if there actually was a god, he's gonna know I'm faking so there's really no point.

Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  But I spent my time looking for god(s), and at this point in my life I'm comfortable living with the belief that he/they don't exist.  My Christian friends have told me he's all around, and I just haven't opened my eyes or my heart and realized it yet.  Ok.  Maybe I'm not smart enough to pick up what God is throwing down.  If he loves me and wants me to love him back, he can light a bush and say hi.  If that happens, I'll humbly drop to my knees and beg his forgiveness. It hasn't happened yet, and I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm not trying to offend anyone.  I married a Christian, she's (with my blessings even) raising our sons Christian.  She prays for me, my in-laws pray for me.  Maybe some day I'll find that light that everyone talks about.  

I can totally relate to the bolded part above.  I was a pretty hard core Athiest for about 10 years and my Dad passed away during this period.  It really messed me up, because I couldn't reconcile with him just being gone.  This didn't have anything to do with my conversion later, but I still remember the feelings I had.  Just from a coping with somebody dying standpoint religion is pretty handy.  He's in a better place, is a lot better than "he's just a rotting corpse and everything he was is no more".  Not saying you feel this way, but it's exactly what I was thinking when he died.

As to your friends telling you he's all around, I used to have the same thoughts.  I would tell them, if God's real then he can come up to me and introduce himself and I'll be more than happy to believe in him.  Well he did come up to greet me one day, but he had a 2x4 and beat me over the head with it in a jail cell before I actually opened my eyes and saw him.

Once I became a believer I see him almost every day because I'm looking for him and I notice him.  He's not a flying spaghetti monster or somebody that I "see" but I see the things that are unexplainable continuing to happen over and over and over again since I became a believer and I recognize and give credit where credit is due. 
When I started my business and I just put my website online and say a prayer for God to bring me business and 30 seconds later my phone rings from a Pastor in a church I've never heard of telling me he just found my website (that I just finished creating and wasn't searchable on anything) and becoming my first customer.  One could say coincidence, but I don't see it that way. 
One week later I get a wrong number call from a guy in California who was friendly and I talk to him anyway.  He ends up needing the exact product we sell and I'm flying to California two weeks after I started my business selling almost $200k of product.  Oh, and when I get there he's got christian stuff all over his office and I find out he's a missionary part of the year.  I could name off 100's of things like that happening to me over and over again.  I'm either an exceptionally lucky guy with really good Karma or there's some greater power influencing the direction of my life.  I believe the latter. 

I've had moments like you describe Tony. Adopting my kids for instance. We had been chosen by 3 previous birth mothers and 3 times they changed their minds. In our state birth mothers have a 72 hour window to change their minds. I was in a pretty bad place and losing focus of our original goal. Our caseworker wanted us to take a break - we said press on. I was feeling a little used and beat up and sorry for myself. Wondering why we kept being placed in this position. Was God testing me/us? What was the point?

Then one night we were out for my birthday dinner with my husbands entire family. There we sat crammed into a booth between all our little nieces and nephews and we got a phone call. How soon could we be home because we had been chosen again and this time our caseworker waited until the 72 hour window was over. A baby on my birthday. You can't make this stuff up. I stood up and told my MIL "Pack up my dinner. I'm going home to get a baby!" That was one of those moments that was a living example to me of what you always hear people say - God has a plan. Sort of an Ah Ha moment for me. What if I would have listened to my own pity and given up? Now I'm getting all choked up. My son loves this story and every year on my birthday he reminds me how he was the best present I ever received LOL .

I know this is just a story on the internet to the reader but when you are living it - it has such an impact.

I was not really looking for God at that time.  I had faith and I believed.

2013-03-08 5:00 AM
in reply to: #4651155

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-03-07 10:19 PM
KateTri1 - 2013-03-07 8:39 PM

All I want is for my son to have a fear of SOMETHING, a bit of conscience, and not be a narcissist. One cannot believe how bratty selfish and overall entitled orientated kids can be, and that includes my son's best friend and many of the kids I teach at school. 

I started teaching him about character when he was old enough to communicate. He's almost a teen and it's ongoing... The kids that know how to work their butt off and be respectful of others and adults, are the ones who can be the most successful. If religion helps in this process then I'll encourage him in his faith. 

That's an interesting angle.  Growing up I truly never understood old folks who wanted to instill a "fear of God" into their kids.  I still personally disagree with the tactic.

There's enough to fear out there as it is.  The world is filled with billions of examples of folks with no initiative, tons of fear, no moral compass.  I guess religion can be a tool to help better our kids' odds, but it's absolutely not the only (or in my opinion) the best tool out there.

btw, you described your son's best friend as "bratty selfish and overall entitled..."  Does your son view his best friend in this light?  Is he demonstrating similar traits?  One of the most underrated talents for young folks in my opinion is choosing friends effectively.  Yeah, we all kind of fall into certain classrooms, places, etc., but eventually the insightful kids are going to get away from the bad influences without having to be led away from them.  Since he's not a teen yet, there's still time if he doesn't recognize his friends' shortcomings.

I guess what I'm rambling about is...why fear anything?  Respect is earned and learned.  Religion is absolutely not required.  I've seen it used effectively and I've seen the best intentions backfire tremendously.  

I agree with these ideas about fear. In general, I don't think fear is effective as a motivator. Fear motivates one just enough, and only enough, to avoid the negative consequences associated with whatever it is one fears. It does not motivate or inspire one to excel, to do extra. For example, at work. Employees who are motivated by fear will do just enough to not get fired and that's it. Kids told that X will happen to them if they don't get all As and Bs might get all As and Bs out of fear, but someday, when the parental threat is gone, it's likely they won't have anything else from which to draw motivation, and they'll regress.

I think fear, rather than spurring people on people to do things, mostly holds people back. Fear can only take one so far. To truly achieve, do great things, be a great person, motivation must come from somewhere else.

2013-03-08 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4651196

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
trigal38 - 2013-03-07 10:19 PM
tuwood - 2013-03-07 5:22 PM
kevin_trapp - 2013-03-07 3:32 PM
pilotzs - 2013-03-07 2:30 PM
I don't have kids but I can imagine that as a parent, if your kid doesn't show you gratitude for giving him life, caring for his needs and loving him that you'd be pretty ticked off.  I look at praise and worship as a way of thanking God.  Asking your kid for a thank you once a week doesn't seem like asking too much.

I get what you're saying, but look at it from the other side.  If your kid didn't thank you or show you gratitude, would you cast him in to a burning pit for all of eternity out of spite?  Sort of contradicts the whole unconditional love thing in my opinion.

What if God doesn't cast you to a burning pit, but maybe it's something equally as bad.

Maybe hell is actually banishment from the ability to enter Heaven and be with God and in communion with him, based on choices that you made.

Much like a child may decide to sell drugs, kills someone and get locked up for life. That parent may still love their child unconditionally, but the child made decisions of their own free will, which led to them having to spend a lifetime separate from their parents and in a personal hell called jail.

As JPII stated:  "hell is the ultimate consequence of sin itself... Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy".

In the end, we cannot comprehend  the meaning of  "God" as humans.  We can only come to understand him as best we can with what we have.

Another thought:  the search for knowledge, wisdom and truth through Science or other means are not separate from God. It's quite  possible, that God has set us on this  path, in search of him.  We can only comprehend what we can conceive as humans to date.  If God is in fact infinite, and created the Universe, it's possible that he created all Universes, etc.

If one of my sons grows up and kills someone, they should be incarcerated.  I will still love them, but they should absolutely be in prison.  If one of my sons grows up and doesn't love me, or doesn't want to talk to me, or doesn't constantly praise me and thank me for giving him life, I do not get to have him arrested and tossed in jail.  And even if I could, I would not.  Because I want my children to be happy.  I would never turn my back on my child just because he turned his back on me.

Obviously, I do not believe in God or any gods.  I wish I did, but I do not.  Quite frankly, my belief of the afterlife (which is to say I do not think any such thing exists) is pretty depressing.  I'd love to know that there are souls that spend eternity in some wonderful spiritual plane, or get reincarnated over and over again, or that I can just float around the local haunted house scaring teenagers.  I'd love to know that it doesn't all just end.  But that would take faith.  I've been to various churches, looked at different eastern and western religions, read a good chunk of the bible.  At the end of the day, I do not have any faith.  If I could fake it, I would.  But if there actually was a god, he's gonna know I'm faking so there's really no point.

Maybe I didn't look hard enough.  But I spent my time looking for god(s), and at this point in my life I'm comfortable living with the belief that he/they don't exist.  My Christian friends have told me he's all around, and I just haven't opened my eyes or my heart and realized it yet.  Ok.  Maybe I'm not smart enough to pick up what God is throwing down.  If he loves me and wants me to love him back, he can light a bush and say hi.  If that happens, I'll humbly drop to my knees and beg his forgiveness. It hasn't happened yet, and I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I'm not trying to offend anyone.  I married a Christian, she's (with my blessings even) raising our sons Christian.  She prays for me, my in-laws pray for me.  Maybe some day I'll find that light that everyone talks about.  

I can totally relate to the bolded part above.  I was a pretty hard core Athiest for about 10 years and my Dad passed away during this period.  It really messed me up, because I couldn't reconcile with him just being gone.  This didn't have anything to do with my conversion later, but I still remember the feelings I had.  Just from a coping with somebody dying standpoint religion is pretty handy.  He's in a better place, is a lot better than "he's just a rotting corpse and everything he was is no more".  Not saying you feel this way, but it's exactly what I was thinking when he died.

As to your friends telling you he's all around, I used to have the same thoughts.  I would tell them, if God's real then he can come up to me and introduce himself and I'll be more than happy to believe in him.  Well he did come up to greet me one day, but he had a 2x4 and beat me over the head with it in a jail cell before I actually opened my eyes and saw him.

Once I became a believer I see him almost every day because I'm looking for him and I notice him.  He's not a flying spaghetti monster or somebody that I "see" but I see the things that are unexplainable continuing to happen over and over and over again since I became a believer and I recognize and give credit where credit is due. 
When I started my business and I just put my website online and say a prayer for God to bring me business and 30 seconds later my phone rings from a Pastor in a church I've never heard of telling me he just found my website (that I just finished creating and wasn't searchable on anything) and becoming my first customer.  One could say coincidence, but I don't see it that way. 
One week later I get a wrong number call from a guy in California who was friendly and I talk to him anyway.  He ends up needing the exact product we sell and I'm flying to California two weeks after I started my business selling almost $200k of product.  Oh, and when I get there he's got christian stuff all over his office and I find out he's a missionary part of the year.  I could name off 100's of things like that happening to me over and over again.  I'm either an exceptionally lucky guy with really good Karma or there's some greater power influencing the direction of my life.  I believe the latter. 

I've had moments like you describe Tony. Adopting my kids for instance. We had been chosen by 3 previous birth mothers and 3 times they changed their minds. In our state birth mothers have a 72 hour window to change their minds. I was in a pretty bad place and losing focus of our original goal. Our caseworker wanted us to take a break - we said press on. I was feeling a little used and beat up and sorry for myself. Wondering why we kept being placed in this position. Was God testing me/us? What was the point?

Then one night we were out for my birthday dinner with my husbands entire family. There we sat crammed into a booth between all our little nieces and nephews and we got a phone call. How soon could we be home because we had been chosen again and this time our caseworker waited until the 72 hour window was over. A baby on my birthday. You can't make this stuff up. I stood up and told my MIL "Pack up my dinner. I'm going home to get a baby!" That was one of those moments that was a living example to me of what you always hear people say - God has a plan. Sort of an Ah Ha moment for me. What if I would have listened to my own pity and given up? Now I'm getting all choked up. My son loves this story and every year on my birthday he reminds me how he was the best present I ever received LOL .

I know this is just a story on the internet to the reader but when you are living it - it has such an impact.

Just reading that made me emotional as well.  Such a great story. 

2013-03-08 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4651196

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
trigal38 - 2013-03-07 11:19 PM

Awesome story and congratulations!! 

2013-03-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4650545

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 2:39 PM
mrbbrad - 2013-03-07 1:41 PM
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 1:36 PM
mrbbrad - 2013-03-07 1:16 PM
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 1:11 PM
tuwood - 2013-03-07 12:46 PM
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 11:38 AM
Porfirio - 2013-03-07 11:00 AM
tealeaf - 2013-03-07 9:47 AM
Porfirio - 2013-03-07 10:40 AM

I'm glad the bible's teachings work for you. Indeed, I really envy devote religious people. For people like myself, I have "additional" issues to work out such as justifying my being moral when, in my world view, there is no "higher order" of right/wrong. (The end goal for many so called Existentialists.)

I bother with these matter b/c, one day, my son may ask me, "dad, why don't we go to church." IMO, it's my responsibility to have a thorough, defensible, & comprehensible answer so that my son can decide for himself whether I'm a nutso.

Ever thought of trying a Unitarian Universalist congregation? I joined one about a year ago precisely for some of the things you mention above. It's been helpful for me so far both with respect to my own beliefs, and teaching my kids.

Very kind of you to make the recommendation! I'm good though. I'm content knowing that I'm addressing what some folks would argue is the primary reason any religion exists: B/c humans are inherently afraid/saddened by the thought of death. I believe I am successfully "extending" my life by making myself important in others peoples' lives (e.g., my son) so that my "essence" will continue to live beyond my passing (my son will pass on my morals and so on). I don't think it's necessary to introduce, what to me is a vague idea of intelligent creator for either reassurance about death or morality.

E.g.: In a state of unorganized nature, eventually humans will choose to not kill one another not for altruistic reasons, but because it is a self-interest decision. By not killing x, x will reciprocate my "kindness" & y will learn by example....

Sure.. no problem.  I mainly joined because my X started taking them to one of those right-wing evangelical megachurches that are so prevalent here South of the Mason-Dixon line, and I felt that it wasn't quite enough to tell them that I did not believe. I felt they needed to hear a different message, one that encouraged them to use their own brain and come to their own conclusions about larger questions.

I like your thought process in terms of extending your life, so to speak. That's a very helpful thought.

This may shock you, but I feel the same way.  My kids have gone to church with us, but we have never forced them to go and I strongly encourage them to be critical thinkers.  The last thing I want is for them to believe something because Mom and Dad say so because if that's all their belief is then it will fail.

My oldest (18) is pretty firm in the agnostic camp, and we have a lot of fun talks.  He knows where I stand and challenges me all the time, and I do the same.  I certainly want him to believe, but he is going to have to find it in his own way.  I think it makes our relationship stronger because he knows he can talk to me about anything and I'll never judge him.

My other two kids are more active in the church and I'd classify them as believers, but they made their own choices and we never forced anything on them.

I suppose more accurately I should have said something like "not have a set of beliefs forced upon them." I don't believe that this concept and Christianity or any other religion are mutually exclusive.

I recall one time I was talking with my 6-year old, and she mentioned how my X was trying to tell her what to believe in her heart, and how could anyone do that? I was proud and blown away to hear that coming from her, at such a young age.

Well, to be needlessly pedantic fair, even when telling her to believe anything she wants to believe you are still telling her what to believe.

Fixed.

Needless to whom? You don't like what your ex is telling her to believe so that's not ok. I'm guessing your ex doesn't like what you tell her to believe? At the end of the day, both parents are telling the kid what to believe.

Oh, you know, you're so right.

Thank you, thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

I don't know if your ways are in error or not, but if this exchange has caused you to decide that, then you're welcome... I guess...

2013-03-09 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4643734

User image

Nor*Cal
GomesBolt - 2013-03-02 5:03 PM Honest question, because I wonder where people who claim an atheist set of beliefs stand on this one. If you die next week and find yourself looking at an entity that says "accept me and you shall receive eternal life, deny me and you will suffer eternal torture."

Is there any among you who would take door #2?

Yes or no and then you can expound if you want.

Interesting thread. tl;dr

Why would you have to wait until you die? What if someone knocked on your door right now and asked you that  question?

And I often wonder if Jesus returned today would we treat the man any differently or if history would repeat itself.

2013-03-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4653084

User image

Elite
Atak Kat - 2013-03-09 12:37 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-02 5:03 PM Honest question, because I wonder where people who claim an atheist set of beliefs stand on this one. If you die next week and find yourself looking at an entity that says "accept me and you shall receive eternal life, deny me and you will suffer eternal torture."

Is there any among you who would take door #2?

Yes or no and then you can expound if you want.

Interesting thread. tl;dr

Why would you have to wait until you die? What if someone knocked on your door right now and asked you that  question?

And I often wonder if Jesus returned today would we treat the man any differently or if history would repeat itself.

Honestly, if I was asked that question:  "accept me and receive eternal life, or deny me and receive eternal torture," I'd probably puke in my mouth a little.  An all-powerful entity that would cast me away like garbage because I don't worship him?  It sounds like a plot format similar to Mean Girls...it sounds ridiculous to me personally.

...and I don't consider myself atheist.  I think agnostic is a better definition.  No human can prove the existence OR lack of existence of a God or gods.  There have been tons of religions developed over the years, all with good, bad, and ugly features.  Why hamstring myself limiting my imagination of a great beyond (or not so great beyond) to the constraints of someone else's imagination?

2013-03-10 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4642926

User image

Regular
Los Angeles
My parents were busy with their academic careers but they have taught me the difference between the science and superstition. Cthulhu fhtagn!
2013-03-11 7:39 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

fantastic discussion...i am trying to catch up here and there.  i was raised catholic and loved it, really.  when i went away to college, i kind of drifted away from my faith, but wouldn't call it atheism, just selfish independence.

about 6 years ago i really wanted to get back in church, but went evangelical rather than catholic.  i thought a more bible-based church made more sense.  and i found an awesome community and a deep deep faith in god and wonderful relationship with him and my life CHANGED.  it was great.  i met my husband there. 

then...when i went through truly hard times...that church family abandoned me.  i still believe in god, i think, but struggle with what that really means.  but i want NOTHING to do with the people who call themselves his church, and can't help a girl going through the greatest challenge of her life, who hate people that sin differently than they do, that don't give of their time and money and heart like the bible challenges them.

and then there is the question of god...do i have free will?  am i being judged?  if god is all powerful and all loving, why did i have to suffer so much?  why do so many that are devout followers suffer so much?  i just can't figure out ... what is the POINT of an all-powerful creator that just sits by and lets evil win over and over and over again.  i'm not sure WHY i should bother to find a new church home, a new faith, just to be disappointed again...

2013-03-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4654532

User image

Bronze member
mehaner - 2013-03-11 7:39 AM

fantastic discussion...i am trying to catch up here and there.  i was raised catholic and loved it, really.  when i went away to college, i kind of drifted away from my faith, but wouldn't call it atheism, just selfish independence.

about 6 years ago i really wanted to get back in church, but went evangelical rather than catholic.  i thought a more bible-based church made more sense.  and i found an awesome community and a deep deep faith in god and wonderful relationship with him and my life CHANGED.  it was great.  i met my husband there. 

then...when i went through truly hard times...that church family abandoned me.  i still believe in god, i think, but struggle with what that really means.  but i want NOTHING to do with the people who call themselves his church, and can't help a girl going through the greatest challenge of her life, who hate people that sin differently than they do, that don't give of their time and money and heart like the bible challenges them.

and then there is the question of god...do i have free will?  am i being judged?  if god is all powerful and all loving, why did i have to suffer so much?  why do so many that are devout followers suffer so much?  i just can't figure out ... what is the POINT of an all-powerful creator that just sits by and lets evil win over and over and over again.  i'm not sure WHY i should bother to find a new church home, a new faith, just to be disappointed again...

That is crappy. If you decide to find another church do it for you. Because you want to hear God's word, receive communion etc. Filter out the noise. Maybe YOU can be the one who is there to offer comfort for some other young girl in trouble and be the example of exactly what you were looking for during your struggles. From my example earlier of our experience adopting - we could have quit and ended the process feeling used.  And I obviously don't know the specifics of your situation and don't mean to compare except for the example of how do you want the story to end so to speak? Do you want to let that experience and those people be the final chapter? Or is there more you are looking for and even more you have to offer?

I don't know, just something to think about. Sometimes I think I can get stuck thinking of what the church community is doing wrong, but what am I doing to make it right? And I'm just talking on a local level volunteering and what not.

Anyway, best wishes.

2013-03-11 8:55 AM

User image

DC

These "simple" questions are, IMO, the demise of the three major world religions. 

1) Free will: I'd like to think we have free will, but I will myself to believe so. The problem, as you're noting, is that if god created us, then we may not have free will, i.e. god already knows what we're going to do. And this is unlike us having children & not knowing what they are going to do b/c, we are told, god created us in an 'intelligent', conscious manner. Einstein believed that we do NOT have free will. But compare Sartre: We exist first, & our essence comes after & so, we do have free will.

2) The problem of evil: Yeah... sorry organized religion... NO way around this way. A compromise would be that along w/god, there exist an equally powerful but evil counterpart god. 

If you're interested, I did post a few comments on these matters.

Ultimately, I think faith is good. But it has to be legitimate... much like the Renaissance thinkers expounded, it should be in ourselves. I consider my son, not being here one day, and being here today, to be a REAL miracle. We don't have to look elsewhere for inspiration.

2013-03-11 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4654640

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
trigal38 - 2013-03-11 9:46 AM
mehaner - 2013-03-11 7:39 AM

That is crappy. If you decide to find another church do it for you. Because you want to hear God's word, receive communion etc. Filter out the noise. Maybe YOU can be the one who is there to offer comfort for some other young girl in trouble and be the example of exactly what you were looking for during your struggles. From my example earlier of our experience adopting - we could have quit and ended the process feeling used.  And I obviously don't know the specifics of your situation and don't mean to compare except for the example of how do you want the story to end so to speak? Do you want to let that experience and those people be the final chapter? Or is there more you are looking for and even more you have to offer?

I don't know, just something to think about. Sometimes I think I can get stuck thinking of what the church community is doing wrong, but what am I doing to make it right? And I'm just talking on a local level volunteering and what not.

Anyway, best wishes.

i certainly don't blame god for these selfish people, i know that is on them.  BUT, when i start to question if i want to go back to church and back to what i had with god, i find myself wondering what is the point?  i take care of myself, give what i can to others (which is more often money than time, and i hate that), try to be a good person, what is the point of going back?  people say for the community...well...the community is the problem. 

2013-03-11 9:17 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

mehaner -and then there is the question of god...do i have free will?  am i being judged?  if god is all powerful and all loving, why did i have to suffer so much?  why do so many that are devout followers suffer so much?  i just can't figure out ... 

Marilyn, I think your question goes right to the heart of the Christian mystery.

Free will and suffering are intimately intertwined. The first is not possible without the possibility of the second.  The God who made us in his image, in other words with free will, entered history and then willingly suffered to redeem us.

The cross is both a gift from God and an invitation to enter more deeply into God's image.

That doesn't mean we should go looking to suffer or be masochists.  Rather, it is about entering into the cross when suffering is unavoidable.  

John Paul II wrote deeply about this in his Apostolic Letter Salvifici Dolores, Redemptive Suffering. Recommended reading.

Do you know the Franciscan priest Father Stan Fortuna?  He's a founding member of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal.  They're a relatively new order of Franciscans. They live a life of poverty and work with the poor. The order started in the Bronx but is spreading fairly quickly.  

Father Stan is also a jazz musician.  For a while, he produced some rap and hip hop music as well.  Take a listen to this music video from a few years back. Everybody Got 2 Suffer.  It's about five minutes.

Father Stan based the music video on Salvifici Dolores.

Hang in there!

Edited by dontracy 2013-03-11 9:21 AM
2013-03-11 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4654697

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
dontracy - 2013-03-11 10:17 AM

mehaner -and then there is the question of god...do i have free will?  am i being judged?  if god is all powerful and all loving, why did i have to suffer so much?  why do so many that are devout followers suffer so much?  i just can't figure out ... 

Marilyn, I think your question goes right to the heart of the Christian mystery.

so my question is...why bother with god/church/etc when life just sucks sometimes, no matter who you are.

2013-03-11 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I BELIEVE THERE IS ONE TRUE GOD, AND JESUS CHRIST IS HIS HOLY SON
THAT HE IS THE LIVING WORD AND THAT BY HIM AND THROUGH HIM ALL THINGS WERE MADE

I BELIEVE HE WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT AND BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY
HE LIVED A SINLESS LIFE, HEALED THE SICK, GAVE SIGHT TO THE BLIND, AND BROUGHT THE DEAD BACK TO LIFE

I BELIEVE IN THE CROSS.  THAT JESUS, GOD’S SACRIFICIAL LAMB SHEDDING HIS BLOOD, WAS CRUCIFIED AS AN
ATONEMENT FOR THE SINS OF ALL THE WORLD AND WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM
WILL NOT PARISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE.

I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION.  THAT ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE FROM THE TOMB CONQUERING DEATH, HELL AND
THE GRAVE AND TODAY HE SITS AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE FATHER AND THAT BECAUSE HE LIVES WE SHALL LIVE ALSO.

I BELIEVE IN THE CHURCH.  A HARBOR FOR SOULS WHERE GOD IS GLORIFIED, SAINTS ARE EDIFIED, GRACE IS MULTIPLIED
MERCY IS MAGNIFIED.  I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT WHO LIVES WITHIN ALL WHO ARE SAVED BY GRACE BY FAITH.
HE IS OUR COMFORTER, OUR FRIEND, AND OUR GUIDE.

I BELIEVE THAT ONE DAY JESUS WILL COME AGAIN TO CLAIM HIS
OWN AND PROVE ONCE AND FOR ALL THAT HE IS THE KING OF KINGS AND THE LORD OF LORDS!

I BELIEVE HE ROSE AGAIN AND THAT HE LIVES TODAY AND SOON HE’S COMING BACK TO EARTH AGAIN.
MORE THAN JUST A CREED, THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE.

2013-03-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4654728

User image

mehaner - so my question is...why bother with god/church/etc when life just sucks sometimes, no matter who you are.

The answer is in the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist.

Here's an analogy. To get to the finish line in a triathlon, you need to suffer through training.  

We'll never completely eliminate suffering in this life.  Everybody's got a thing they gotta suffer.  Sometimes certain acts attempting to alleviate suffering are actually immoral and in time simply add to human suffering.

So if the ultimate fishing line is heaven, how do we bear that suffering in this pilgrim life on earth?  For that, Jesus gave us the Eucharist.  He is truly present to us here and now, body, blood, soul, and divinity. It is the source and summit of the Christian life.  It is a foretaste of heaven.

We're required to attend Mass week in and week out. This is required because it's good for us.  No matter how down we might be, there is the Eucharist.  It's there when we're happy as well, and every emotional state in between.

There is indeed meaning in human suffering.  With the Eucharist, we're given nourishment to strengthen us for the race.  The farther you go, the more suffering will make sense.

Edited by dontracy 2013-03-11 9:56 AM
2013-03-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4654777

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
dontracy - 2013-03-11 10:55 AM

mehaner - so my question is...why bother with god/church/etc when life just sucks sometimes, no matter who you are.

Here's an analogy. To get to the finish line in a triathlon, you need to suffer through training.  

We'll never completely eliminate suffering in this life.  Everybody's got a thing they gotta suffer.  Sometimes certain acts attempting to alleviate suffering are actually immoral and in time simply add to human suffering.

So if the ultimate fishing line is heaven, how do we bear that suffering in this pilgrim life on earth?  For that, Jesus gave us the Eucharist.  He is truly present to us here and now, body, blood, soul, and divinity. It is the source and summit of the Christian life.  It is a foretaste of heaven.

We're required to attend Mass week in and week out. This is required because it's good for us.  No matter how down we might be, there is the Eucharist.  It's there when we're happy as well, and every emotional state in between.

There is indeed meaning in human suffering.  With the Eucharist, we're given nourishment to strengthen us for the race.  The farther you go, the more suffering will make sense.

yeah...that does not help much at all.  certainly doesn't apply to my situation in the least.  taking communion helps me get through suffering?  nope.

some people just are going to have hardships and i understand faith as a coping mechanism, but it just isn't going to work for everyone.

Edited by mehaner 2013-03-11 9:59 AM
2013-03-11 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4654785

User image

mehaner - yeah...that does not help much at all.  certainly doesn't apply to my situation in the least.  taking communion helps me get through suffering?  nope.

some people just are going to have hardships and i understand faith as a coping mechanism, but it just isn't going to work for everyone.

I know it hurts. I'm sorry for your pain.

Let me suggest this. Take your pain before the Blessed Sacrament in Adoration.  Try just sitting there with it in silence before Jesus.  No need to interact with anyone else. Here's a site to find Adoration in your area.  Just put in your zip and then search the page for "Adoration". 

I'll pray for you. Please pray for me.

2013-03-11 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
mehaner - 2013-03-11 10:59 AM

yeah...that does not help much at all.  certainly doesn't apply to my situation in the least.  taking communion helps me get through suffering?  nope.

I think it depends on how one defines... faith.

And when you say "it isn't going to work" what are you meaning by that? Are you talking about "peace"? Because, having peace can help people cope with all kinds of difficult situations. 

2013-03-11 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
mehaner - 2013-03-11 9:59 AM

I do not think we are ever promised that life won;t be hard or have trials. And I understand that the Church as an entire group will have faults, but my family has made contacts with 3 or 4 families that we have grown with and have such a strong bond that we met at church. I know we do not have to go to church to have this bond, we could met at someone house just as well, which we do, but my point is that in any church there will be issues when you get a large group of people. For us, finding those couples that are in the same stage of life as us has been a blessing!

2013-03-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4654807

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
KateTri1 - 2013-03-11 11:12 AM

And when you say "it isn't going to work" what are you meaning by that? Are you talking about "peace"? Because, having peace can help people cope with all kinds of difficult situations. 

define it how you want - church, religion, god, etc.  if it was a solution for everyone, there would be no atheists.  that's all i'm saying.  i understand that it works for some people.  to me, it's pretty meaningless.

2013-03-11 2:42 PM
in reply to: #4655060

User image

Expert
mehaner - 2013-03-11 12:54 PM

define it how you want - church, religion, god, etc.  if it was a solution for everyone, there would be no atheists.  that's all i'm saying.  i understand that it works for some people.  to me, it's pretty meaningless.

well.. I believe that Atheism is pretty much a set of strongly defined beliefs. If one is taking the time to define their disbelief in religion, there is a reason.. therefor one is getting SOMETHING out of doing that. I kind of feel that an agnostic is the least religious person.

Personally, I think sometimes people define religion/spirituality a certain way, make a judgement,  turn their backs.. and miss out. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-03-11 2:43 PM
2013-03-11 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4655424

User image

Pro
KateTri1 - 2013-03-11 2:42 PM

well.. I believe that Atheism is pretty much a set of strongly defined beliefs. If one is taking the time to define their disbelief in religion, there is a reason.. therefor one is getting SOMETHING out of doing that. I kind of feel that an agnostic is the least religious person.

Personally, I think sometimes people define religion/spirituality a certain way, make a judgement,  turn their backs.. and miss out. 

On what?

2013-03-11 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4655424

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
KateTri1 - 2013-03-11 3:42 PM

It's interesting, then, that by and large, atheists and agnostics score the highest when it comes to religious knowledge, and know more about religion, in general, than the "religious."

The Pew Forum on Religious Religion and Public Life released a survey on religious knowledge today. Atheists and Agnostics scored higher on it than anyone else, closely followed by Jews and Mormons, all Christians, Protestants and Catholics, were far behind.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/09/28/130191248/atheists-and-agnostics-know-more-about-bible-than-religious

I think it's partially because many of us spend time thinking about and considering different aspects of different religions, rather than adhering to dogma laid down by people who lived thousands of years ago. So, if by "least religious," you mean "most thoughtful," I'm on board with that.

Edited by tealeaf 2013-03-11 3:28 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » any religious people coming to terms with new found atheism? Rss Feed  

of 9