Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-03-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4645623

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread

tuwood - Now for long range slug or bird shooting, I have no clue how it compares, but don't care. 

I took a deer the last two seasons with a Mossberg 500. Both were does for the freezer. Smooth bore 28" barrel, Improved Cylinder choke. Remington Slugger 1oz. rifled slugs.

I'm confident with it out to 65yds.  Where I hunt, I don't have a shot over 50yds.

(What's the TOS for posting photos of harvested game close up?)

2013-03-04 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4645699

User image

Left Brain - 

I wish I had time for a new pup......nothing like it.  Enjoy!

How have you picked out your gun dogs?  This one seemed like she picked us.

Also, how have you introduced your gun dogs to gun fire?

2013-03-04 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4645715

User image

dontracy - 2013-03-04 1:39 PM

Left Brain - 

Just remember as you're doing it:

Mutt Muffs: Protect Your Gun Dog's Hearing
http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/mans-best-friend/2012/03/protec...

2013-03-04 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4645715

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-03-04 12:39 PM
Left Brain - 

I always take along someone else and we get all the pups in a yard.  Then we get them a bit wound up by playing with them and rolling them around, etc.....then we start making noise...loud hand claps, banging on trash can lids, whatever we can do.....the one that's left after all the racket is the dog I take home.  They just seem have the temperament I'm looking for.  Calm, playful, and full of energy no matter what.

Funny story....the dog I have now has her HRC title.....the day after I brought her home we had a new roof put on the house.  The guys hand nailed the new roof.....that puppy slept right through it.  I knew she was the right dog that day.

I introduce a gun dog to live fire with another person, and while they are doing something they truly love to do....be it playing frisbee, retrieving dummy's, whatever.  The dog I have now LOVES the water.  I did her introduction while she was swimming.

Have a partner stand a couple hundred yards away.  Get your pup playing and have him/her fire off a round.  The pup will most likely look that direction and then continue to play.  If it continues to play, do it again with your partner 10 yards closer.  If the reaction is the same do it again....stop at 150 yards the first day and start there the next day.  Move up 50 yards each day and always start where you left off the next day.  By day 5 you should be able to stand and shoot over her.  IF the reaction changes at any 10 yard interval, go backwards until pup is still playing, repeat at that distance a few times and then start to move forward again. 

I usually wait until they are about 20 weeks old before introduction.....keep sessions no longer than 20 minutes.

2013-03-04 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Joe Biden Shotgun Advice Gets Virginia Man Arrested
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/551668/joe-biden-shotgun-advice-gets-virgi...

2013-03-04 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4645747

User image

Left Brain - I always take along someone else and we get all the pups in a yard.  Then we get them a bit wound up by playing with them and rolling them around, etc.....then we start making noise...loud hand claps, banging on trash can lids, whatever we can do.....the one that's left after all the racket is the dog I take home.  They just seem have the temperament I'm looking for.  Calm, playful, and full of energy no matter what.

Funny story....the dog I have now has her HRC title.....the day after I brought her home we had a new roof put on the house.  The guys hand nailed the new roof.....that puppy slept right through it.  I knew she was the right dog that day.

I introduce a gun dog to live fire with another person, and while they are doing something they truly love to do....be it playing frisbee, retrieving dummy's, whatever.  The dog I have now LOVES the water.  I did her introduction while she was swimming.

Have a partner stand a couple hundred yards away.  Get your pup playing and have him/her fire off a round.  The pup will most likely look that direction and then continue to play.  If it continues to play, do it again with your partner 10 yards closer.  If the reaction is the same do it again....stop at 150 yards the first day and start there the next day.  Move up 50 yards each day and always start where you left off the next day.  By day 5 you should be able to stand and shoot over her.  IF the reaction changes at any 10 yard interval, go backwards until pup is still playing, repeat at that distance a few times and then start to move forward again. 

I usually wait until they are about 20 weeks old before introduction.....keep sessions no longer than 20 minutes.

Great advice. Thanks!

The order of importance for this dog is to be a great family pet that can hunt, vs a great hunter that can be a good family pet, if that makes sense.  It's one reason why I settled on springers.

I got her from a kennel that breeds some six or so different gun dogs. The pups hear gun fire in the womb from the clay fields and hunting preserve that's part of the operation.

We spent two days there this weekend. They let eight puppies out of the room and this one walked right up to my 7yo and sat on his lap.  His older brother and I both took to her right away.  I considered a different dog that first day and then another the second day, but came back to this first one.

Plus she sat when the 7yo said "hup"! Obviously coincidence, but I took it as an omen. She doesn't need to be a field trial champion for me, so I guess I was looking for that bond between the boys and her.  

I've got all of my training resources lined up.  Just trying to decide now between a starter pistol that takes .22 blanks and one that takes 209 primers. Thoughts on that?

We had a vizsla that died back in June at the age of 13. She would have made a great gun dog. Very birdy. I got back into hunting too late to train her though. So this will be my first crack at training a gun dog.

Edited by dontracy 2013-03-04 1:19 PM

2013-03-04 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4645806

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-03-04 1:18 PM
Left Brain - I always take along someone else and we get all the pups in a yard.  Then we get them a bit wound up by playing with them and rolling them around, etc.....then we start making noise...loud hand claps, banging on trash can lids, whatever we can do.....the one that's left after all the racket is the dog I take home.  They just seem have the temperament I'm looking for.  Calm, playful, and full of energy no matter what.

Great advice. Thanks!

The order of importance for this dog is to be a great family pet that can hunt, vs a great hunter that can be a good family pet, if that makes sense.  It's one reason why I settled on springers.

I got her from a kennel that breeds some six or so different gun dogs. The pups hear gun fire in the womb from the clay fields and hunting preserve that's part of the operation.

We spent two days there this weekend. They let eight puppies out of the room and this one walked right up to my 7yo and sat on his lap.  His older brother and I both took to her right away.  I considered a different dog that first day and then another the second day, but came back to this first one.

Plus she sat when the 7yo said "hup"! Obviously coincidence, but I took it as an omen. She doesn't need to be a field trial champion for me, so I guess I was looking for that bond between the boys and her.  

I've got all of my training resources lined up.  Just trying to decide now between a starter pistol that takes .22 blanks and one that takes 209 primers. Thoughts on that?

We had a vizsla that died back in June at the age of 13. She would have made a great gun dog. Very birdy. I got back into hunting too late to train her though. So this will be my first crack at training a gun dog.

All good stuff.....that hound in the picture is a house dog...she sleeps in my kid's beds and goes from room to room during the night. 

I'm of the opinion that you can have both a great gun dog and a fantastic part of our family....ours is certainly both.

Eh...as for .22 blanks or 209 primers....I don't think there is enough difference to worry about...use what is easiest to keep replenished would be my advice. 

The big thing with ALL training is to keep sessions short.  The FIRST time pup shows it's attention wandering......stop.  It's hard to do because YOU want more time with them if you really enjoy training....but you only end up frustrated.  It's all about patience.  I'm prolly preaching to the choir....sorry if that's the case.

2013-03-04 1:35 PM

User image

Pro

dontracy - this is probably an excellent resource.  I only say "probably" because I have not used this particular book, "Gun Dog"....but I have used "Water Dog", also by Wolters, and it's a fantastic resource for a first time trainer. 

I can't imagine it wouldn't be money well spent and a good read while you wait for you pup.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Revolutionary-Training-Method/dp/0525245499

2013-03-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4645830

User image

Left Brain - 

dontracy - this is probably an excellent resource.  I only say "probably" because I have not used this particular book, "Gun Dog"....but I have used "Water Dog", also by Wolters, and it's a fantastic resource for a first time trainer. 

I can't imagine it wouldn't be money well spent and a good read while you wait for you pup.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Revolutionary-Training-Method/dp/0525245499

The patience advice is good for me to hear.  Thanks.

I'll check out that Wolters book.

Right now I've read through Roebuck's Gun-Dog Training Spaniels and Retrievers and Spencer's Hup! Training Flushing Spaniels the American Way.

My favorite so far is Roettger's Urban Gun Dogs: Training Flushing Dogs for Home and Field.  Beside having great practical advice for training within a densely populated area such as I'm in, I just love the title. Urban Gun Dog!

I'm thinking only half in jest that when some anti I'm bound to run into asks me what kind of dog my cute Lacy is I'll say, "Well my fine hipster friend, she's an urban gun dog"! 

How about a bumper sticker that says, "Protect the plight of the Urban Gun Dog, Protect the 2nd Amendment."

2013-03-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4645614

User image

Big Appa - 

My buddy has the decocker but I can do it just fine manually.

What's your protocol for lowering the hammer?

2013-03-04 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4644903

User image

Elite
sea2summit - 2013-03-03 11:53 PM

powerman - 2013-03-03 10:48 PM that is a assault shotgun

Sense this is the gun thread can we be exact in the words we use?  "Assault" weapons are defined already by law (National Firearms Act of 1934)(NFA) as a weapon that is capable of fully automatic fire OR has a barrel length less than 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns OR has a device to reduce noise emitted when firing (aka suppressor/silencer). These weapons are regulated by the NFA and considered Class 3 weapons and have significant restrictions and regulations I wont go into here.

So, sense the Benelli M4 does not meet any of the above please to not call it an assault weapon, it is a semi automatic shotgun nothing more or less. 

Well then you might want to read up on the new definitions in proposed legislation... because every firearm I own will be an assault weapon. And no, I do not have anything Class 3.

2013-03-04 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Guns Guns Guns Guns Guns Guns

bump (for dramatic effect/affect)

2013-03-04 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4646225

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I found a great article while cleaning out my study about gun control that I found of great help and was informative some years ago.  I'm trying to figure out how to post it.  They may even have an updated version. 

I'm curious to see what people think about it.

2013-03-04 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4646372

User image

The NRA has recruited youtuber Colion Noir to contribute to NRA News.

Here's the trailer. Worth a couple minutes, I think.

Here's Colion Noir's YouTube channel if you're interested in more.

Edited by dontracy 2013-03-04 7:27 PM

(colionnoir.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
colionnoir.jpg (13KB - 6 downloads)
2013-03-04 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4645623

User image

Expert
Central Mass
tuwood - 2013-03-04 12:56 PM
scorpio516 - 2013-03-03 3:08 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-03-03 8:28 AM
Ron - 2013-03-02 9:22 AM

This will be the gun thread...kind of like TAN  Our last little experiment of only allowing one gun thread and freezing the older ones failed - there was even STILL namecalling on that, and who reads sticky notes at the top of forums anyways?  This will be our last attempt at allowing some civil discourse before we just ban the topic all together.  Truthfully our mods work hard, but when they spend 90% of their time babysitting one non-triathlon topic, something is wrong.  We don't want to lose our mods, they make this place great.

One user mentioned that this is such an important issue that the people partaking in the discussion should act like it's an important issue and talk with respect.  Let's try to do that here.

Here's the deal:

1 - All other gun threads accept for this one will be deleted.

2 - ANY name-calling will result in a one week timeout, 2nd offense is 1 month and so on.  Please pm myself or the mods if namecalling is occurring.

Ron's a Jerk! Just kidding. I've been wondering when we'd get one "TAG" or I guess it's "TGT". Which is an artillery abbreviation for the word "Target". How appropriate.

Anyone wanna talk Shotguns? Who makes a good 20 gauge? I used to shoot dove with my grandfather with one and I remember the kick was pretty light. I was thinking of getting one to take my kids out to shoot clays some day (years from now so lots of time for research).

Last time I fired a shotgun was a Benelli Tactical in the Corps. Lots of fun there. I didn't get to fire the Mossberg because I was training on the SMAW at the time.

I don't like Mossbergs.  I really like Benellis though  Vinci and Nova are great little pieces.  I know the Nova (pump) comes in 20 GA.  Beretta makes some great 20 ga too.  Stoeger makes some nice guns, but not as nice as the Benelli or Beretta.  But with a price to match :D .

Stoeger makes a $450 OA 20 ga both in regular size and youth size...  They make the same gun (full size, not youth) in 16 ga, 28 ga, and .410

We've got a tried and true Remington 870 20 ga.  

Benelli's are the bomb, but OMG expensive.  I picked up a Mossberg 930SPX semi auto 12 ga. last year for around $700.  I spent another $150 upgrading the follower, mag tube, and mag spring and it's the bomb.  I've put probably 1500 shells through it with a lot of abuse and it just begs for more.

I carried a Mossberg 500 in the Navy and those things got beat to crap, but always worked.  I'm very confident in it for a home defense Shotty.  Now for long range slug or bird shooting, I have no clue how it compares, but don't care. 

The Benelli Nova (bottom of the line pump) only retails for $400-500 .  Now the semi-autos don't get below $1000.

Next time your in a gun store, you could check out a Stoeger.  Semi-autos in the $500-600 range.  Stoeger is part of Benelli (which is part of Beretta), but I think they are made in Maryland, if that matters to you.

2013-03-05 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

UNfortunetly, several of the Benelli semi-auto shotguns would be banned under the Feinstein "assualt weapons" ban.

The "assualt weapons ban" bans the following:

• All semiautomatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one military feature: pistol grip; forward grip; folding, telescoping, or detachable stock; grenade launcher or rocket launcher; barrel shroud; or threaded barrel.
  • All semiautomatic pistols that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one military feature: threaded barrel; second pistol grip; barrel shroud; capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip; or semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
  • All semiautomatic rifles and handguns that have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
  • All semiautomatic shotguns that have a folding, telescoping, or detachable stock; pistol grip; fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 5 rounds; ability to accept a detachable magazine; forward grip; grenade launcher or rocket launcher; or shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
  • All ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips, and drums) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Again, the "assualt weapons ban" bans more than "assualt weapons" it also bans certain shot guns and certain hand guns, and ultimately any magazine capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

It also bans after market equipment like thump hole stocks.

Additionally, the bill specifically excludes "firearms" legally owned and possesed at the time of the bills passage, but there is not similar grandfather clause for magazines over 10 rounds?  Hmmmmm.

So the way the bill is written, and I don't think it's a mistake or a simple oversight, my FNX9 would be legal, but arguably the 16 round magazine it came with wouldn't be.

2013-03-05 8:18 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

Just so everyone is aware, the proposed definition of an assualt weapon is the followingregardless of calibre) "The term semi-automatic assualt weapon means a semi automatic rifle tat has the capacity to accept a detachable nagazine and any 1 of the following: (i) a pistol grip, (ii) a forward grip (iii) a folding, telescoping, or detachable stock, (iv) a grenade launcher or raocket launcher (v) a barrel shroud (vi) a threaded barrel."

It also defines certain semi automatic pistols and shotguns as "assualt weapons".

Also don't buy the rhetoric that the bill specifically exempts over 800 firearms from the bill.  If you take a look at the list of exempted firearms they are mostly bolt action or lever action rifles and modern copies of weapons like the Colt Navy hand gun.  Yup in essence they're saying they specifically exempted weapons whose technology pre-dates semi automatic firearm technology.

But hey, the Navy Arms 1874 High wall rifle is specifically exempted so I guess that's OK.

2013-03-05 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4644903

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
sea2summit - 2013-03-04 1:53 AM

Sense this is the gun thread can we be exact in the words we use? 

Anyone else snicker at the irony here?

2013-03-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4646876

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
mrbbrad - 2013-03-05 8:27 AM

Yes, I got a good chukle out of it! Wink

2013-03-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4646913

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky
ejshowers - 2013-03-05 9:49 AM

Is that like a chuckle, but not quite?

I just got done with my North Carolina CCH training.  Two things I am annoyed by:

1.  Apparently the wait time to get an appointment to do the paperwork/finger printing/etc. at the Sheriff's office to actually apply for the permit is nearly three months.

2.  The places you aren't allowed to carry in NC are interesting.  The two that are most inconvenient for me are restaurants that serve alcohol and movie theaters.  I thoroughly enjoy going to movies and letting other people cook for me.

2013-03-05 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4646938

User image

Elite
ScudRunner - 2013-03-05 8:03 AM

I just got done with my North Carolina CCH training.  Two things I am annoyed by:

1.  Apparently the wait time to get an appointment to do the paperwork/finger printing/etc. at the Sheriff's office to actually apply for the permit is nearly three months.

2.  The places you aren't allowed to carry in NC are interesting.  The two that are most inconvenient for me are restaurants that serve alcohol and movie theaters.  I thoroughly enjoy going to movies and letting other people cook for me.

The wait is now up to 4 months here.

2013-03-05 10:31 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

/facepalm to both, but especially #2.

FLORIDA RESIDENTS:

Two new bills have been introduced in your state:

1) SB 1670: Assault Weapons and Magazines
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1670
Assault Weapons and Magazines; Prohibiting a person from manufacturing, importing, possessing, purchasing, selling, or transferring any assault weapon or large-capacity magazine; requiring the Department of Law Enforcement to provide every county sheriff with the training and forms necessary to perform background checks and register assault weapons and large-capacity magazines with the department; increasing criminal penalties for the possession or use of an assault weapon during the commission of certain specified offenses, etc.

2) SB 1678: Firearms
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1678
Firearms; Requiring a 3-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm; prohibiting the sale of ammunition to a person who has not completed an anger-management program; requiring certification of completion of an anger-management program to be renewed every 10 years; providing criminal penalties, etc.

2013-03-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4643730

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
firstnet911 - 2013-03-02 7:55 PM

Might as well get this thread started.

Went to the local gun show this morning. Parking lot was overflowing with a line to get in to the building.

Ridiculous prices for both firearms and ammo. $1600 for an AR, $1200 for an AK, and  $1.00 a round for .223 ammo.  Was quite glad that I'm not looking for anything these days. 

Came home and loaded cast bullets for $.08 a round.

Off to the range next weekend  

Sounds like the range here.  Tried to go with my husband for a few hours 2 weeks ago.  Would have been an hour or more wait just for a lane.  No guns on the shelves and ammo is limited to 2 boxes per person. 

2013-03-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4646938

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
ScudRunner - 2013-03-05 10:03 AM

Hmmm... the movie theater thing is interesting.  The restaurant thing is pretty common although in VA we recently passed a bill that allow CC in bar/restaurants as long as you are not consuming alcohol. 

2013-03-05 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4647105

User image

Elite
tuwood - 2013-03-05 9:31 AM

/facepalm to both, but especially #2.

FLORIDA RESIDENTS:

Two new bills have been introduced in your state:

1) SB 1670: Assault Weapons and Magazines
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1670
Assault Weapons and Magazines; Prohibiting a person from manufacturing, importing, possessing, purchasing, selling, or transferring any assault weapon or large-capacity magazine; requiring the Department of Law Enforcement to provide every county sheriff with the training and forms necessary to perform background checks and register assault weapons and large-capacity magazines with the department; increasing criminal penalties for the possession or use of an assault weapon during the commission of certain specified offenses, etc.

2) SB 1678: Firearms
http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2013/1678
Firearms; Requiring a 3-day waiting period for the sale of any firearm; prohibiting the sale of ammunition to a person who has not completed an anger-management program; requiring certification of completion of an anger-management program to be renewed every 10 years; providing criminal penalties, etc.

That would be awesome... just as soon as they require the same for knives and base ball bats.

I have a hard time comprehending the ridiculousness behind some of these proposals.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48