Greenville Track Club
37F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 43m 35s
Overall Rank = 96/985
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 15/53
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a couple hours early to make sure my body was fully awake and also to check the weather. Had a sesame bagel with peanut butter, Naked strawberry/banana smoothie, and a cup of coffee. Went to the race and huddled inside with a bunch of other people trying to stay warm.
Event warmup:

Walked around the race area but it was too cold to stay outside. Stood inside and talked with a few people till it was race time
Run
  • 43m 36s
  • 6.28 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather was not ideall for a PR, 37 degrees rained all night before and was still slightly drizzling mixed with a few snow flurries.

Tried to get to the front of the start corral so i did not have to worry about passing too many people in the beginning so I could get into my rythym early. The beginning started out pretty quick. The whole front was sucked in with the elite runners in the front. First 2 miles I was 20sec/mile below my planned pace...TOO FAST. I slowed down a little bit and tried to just hang on the best I could.

First 2.5 miles were rolling hills with a long descent to the next 2 miles. Those 2 miles were fairly flat on the swamp rabbit trail.

So I hit mile 5, look down at my garmin and it says 4.88...crap, the race is going to be a little short (more on than later). I had read previous race reviews and everyone talked about the hill at McDaniel Avenue being a killer. I did not think it was that bad, I just put my head down and charged up it. Now the hill coming back up to main street at mile marker 6 was ROUGH. It just kept getting steeper!!! Tried to charge to the top knowing the finish was just around the corner, my legs went to jello went I crested the top.

Crossed the finish line and hit the stop button on my Garmin. Goal time was to try for Sub 43 minutes. I look down at the screen....43:36...DAMN, just missed it. The distance was spot on at, watch said 6.28. Talked with a few people after the race and they saw the same thing I did with the mile markers, first 3 were perfect but the last few were a little off...no worries though.

Race was extremely well supported with police directing traffic at every intersection and shutting down some lanes and intersections at that. Will Definilty look at doign this race next year, just hope the weather is a little better next time.
What would you do differently?:

I would try to not get sucked in with the front runners up front and try to hold closer to my planned pace. I think I gassed myself in the beginning which hurt my kick at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around with drinking a water. Stopped on way home for Dunkin Donuts Muchkins and a coffee...recovery secret of the pros....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Went to hard from the start, averaged 20sec/min faster pace than planned.

Event comments:

It is a good race with a good course, would suggest those looking for a local 10k to try for a PR to go for it.

Last updated: 2013-02-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:36 | 06.28 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/53
Overall: 96/985
Performance: Good
Course: It was a good solid course. A few rolling hills in the beginning, fairly flat in the middle with a few more rolling hills at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes