United States
Robeson Road Runners
45F / 7C
Total Time = 26m 10s
Overall Rank = 92/311
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

I ate breakfast at 7:30 a.m. (race not until 11:00 a.m.), and promptly vomited. I've not been feeling well and Pete said I should not run. But it's only 3 miles, how bad can it be? So I walked my dog thinking the fresh air would help, then did some stretching before we left.
Event warmup:

Went to packet pick up, then back to the truck to stay warm until time for the race. Took off a layer of clothes, then ran around the block. I realized I would need my headband and thin gloves, so I stopped at the truck and got them.
Run
  • 26m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm carrying extra weight this year and haven't trained, so I knew this would not be my best performance. But I also place at this race every year and would be REALLY sad if I didn't.

I started out strong, then began to fade. I leapfrogged with a girl towards the end, but she ended up in front; then a young girl zoomed by at the last minute. I was disappointed when the clock hit 26, but I just was not on my game this year. My PR at this race is 24:35.
What would you do differently?:

Lose weight and do more speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, then spied the giant turkey legs. Yum! Pete and I were wandering around gnawing on turkey legs when the awards ceremony started, so we stopped to watch. We got there just in time to hear our names called for 3rd place AG! Pete had been drizzling sauce on his turkey leg, so he had the leg in one hand and the container of sauce in the other. He handed them off to me, licked his fingers then went to get his award. Same for me a few minutes later (except that I did not have the sauce).

Even though we both placed 5th in our respective age groups, those above us got bumped up to masters and grand masters, which bumped us up into the AG awards. This is my 4th year in a row placing at this race, so I have 4 of these paintings now!

photo 672faf71-d4bd-4eb6-90d4-6d0492cb6bfb.jpg

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Extra weight and slack training.

Event comments:

This was my first race ever back in 2009, and I've done it as an anniversary race every year since (and have placed every year except the first!). This is a family fun festival with vendors, booths, games, food, and a chili cook-off complete with beer. Something for everyone!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:10 | 03.11 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 92/311
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: