Phoenix Marathon
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 59s
Overall Rank = 77/1906
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/98
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:20. Stumbled face first into my bedroom wall. This pre-race included the neti pot because of a stupid head cold. Big bowl of oatmeal with a little flax seed and agave nectar(every morning meal). Brown rice cake with almond butter and jelly on the drive there.
Event warmup:

Sat 20 minutes in a line of cars to get into the parking lot. Got on bus to the race start. Stood in 30 minute line for porta potties. Thank goodness I left early! Only had a few minutes to stretch out and do some light jogging. Great energy at the start with fireworks!
Run
  • 1h 36m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good the whole way. Took a gel at mile 4 and mile 10. Was able to hold a pretty consistent 7:20 pace. I took some advice and walked for a few seconds at every aid station (every 2 miles) to make sure I got in plenty of fluids. Then I would pick up the pace for 10-15 seconds and get back on track. It worked well and I think I'll continue to use this strategy in the future. Went with no music as the purpose of this is triathlon training and the miles flew by much faster than I was expecting. I think I'll be running more without music. Because of the rush to get to the start line I made a rookie mistake and didn't check my laces. Had a shoe lace come undone at mile 8! Stopped at the aid station to tie it but made up for the time in the end with a few 7-7:10 min/miles. Legs didn't start getting sore until I was pushing it at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Got there earlier but I didn't expect the traffic and crapper jam. I'm sure they'll have those problems corrected next year. As far as the race, nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out the physical therapist at the end. Walked around and chatted a bit with friends. Had some chicken and a chocolate milk refuel. Didn't have much time to hang around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A stupid sinus head cold! My goal was 1:35. I think I could have gotten close with the stupid cold. I tried to spit and shoot snot rockets when no one was behind me but it was a pretty crowded course.

Event comments:

Great first 13.1! Thanks to my amazing wife Bethany and coach Frank Sole! Stoked for a great year of racing!

Last updated: 2013-03-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:59 | 13.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/98
Overall: 77/1906
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a slight down hill the entire way. You lose 147 feet over 13.1 miles. Nice paved city streets. Really a nice easy course. Perfect for my first half!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-03-03 10:29 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Subject: Phoenix Half Marathon

2013-03-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4644221

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Phoenix Half Marathon
nice!  congrats, that's a great first half. 
2013-03-07 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4644221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Phoenix Half Marathon
Great job - especially for a first while sick Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phoenix Half Marathon Rss Feed