General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need inspiring weightloss story from woman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-03 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: Need inspiring weightloss story from woman
Seems all the inspiring stories about losing lots of weight and doing those oly or HIM are from men. Am I missing the stories from women or are there none.

I'm 53 and perimenopause and swear to God that even when I workout and eat at a cal. deficit of a few 100 cals. I don't lose weight. Notice that I'll drop 5 lbs and then stay there for a few years then drop a few more - but it's not cutting it for me.

I'm 5'1" and just want to lose 25lbs to get to 140 - that would be a size medium for me ( I am very muscular so I carrying my weight pretty well). I'm not looking to become a 3 - come on someone, tell me a story - inspire me!

Mitzi

2013-03-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4644317

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Need inspiring weightloss story from woman

Kathy G went from morbidly obese to doing Ironman - she did it all through tris!!

I do not burn calories as I am supposed to - so I count on my bodymedia band to give me my calories out and I try to aim for a deficit of 500-1000 calories daily and since the New Year have dropped 16 pounds.

9 to race weight - or what I think race weight is. At least I am now back at my pre mono weight (had mono last year - who knew at my age I could get it and no did not kiss anyone  sadly)

This week I also decided to experiment a bit with anti inflammatory diet as I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis - which is autoimmune and there is some LIMITED data on gluten etc being an issue. So for the last few days I have avoided gluten dairy and night shades - and water weight suddenly dropped off even with my calorie counts being on the higher side for me.

Kathy G's story is on BT - VERY inspirational!!!!

2013-03-04 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks.
Would be interested to hear your experience with your gluten free diet.
2013-03-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4645759

User image

Champion
New York, NY

MuscleMomma - 2013-03-04 2:02 PM Thanks. Would be interested to hear your experience with your gluten free diet.

well day 6 here and my allergies are hugely improved, I definitely have more energy.  I mean I am not having the usual post swim nasal/sinus stuff that I get it is helping that much.  Mind you I am off of gluten, dairy and nightshades for now (really hoping I can add the nightshades back in)

will keep you updated....

2013-03-07 7:54 PM

User image

New user

Well, I am not there yet but here is my story so far.

I have lost 85 lbs in the last year.  I started working out and found I liked running but due to old shoes and not taking days off I got sesmoiditis in my right foot. (still have it) I was determined not to let it stop me so the only things I could do were swimming and biking (mainly stationary). So that combined with diet and exercise allowed me to go from 250 lbs to 165. I still have 15 lbs to go. I can start running a little and I ran/walked a 1/2 marathon last December so I have decided this year the goal is to do triathlons plus a race series in the fall (10k, 10 mile and another 13.1.

I have a super sprint in April, hopefully another super sprint in May, then a Sprint on my birthday in July and then the plan is an Oly in September(race TBD). Granted this is Texas so the July and Sept are going to be hot.  There is another sprint possiblity in August as well. If I had the time and money for equipment I would seriously think about a HIM in October but I am not sure I will be to that point without alot of time training. Considering I work full time plus have a small (micro farm) and I sell produce and eggs at the local farmer's market I am thinking the time factor in the summer will not be there.  Plus I am not sure if the foot will get better (right now the only options two different doctors have given me is surgery or deal with it.)

So my story is still to be written but I hope to make it happen.

2013-03-08 4:11 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
230 lbs to 110 lbs (5'4") here.

2013-03-09 11:39 PM

User image

Regular
Was a 38 year old work-a-holic by day/couch potato by night, finding out I had stage 3 breast cancer, being told I probably only had 2-5 years to live, and weighing in at 207 pounds.  Fast forward to age 39 (after treatment), decided to get healthy and start tris and eating better.  Ran my first EVER mile just before turning 40, and managed to get down to 165 pounds, and even won 1st place in my Athena division in my most recent sprint tri.  Plus the organization that puts on the tris and does all the local training awarded me with Athlete of the Year.  What????  I am still working to lose another 15 pounds, and hope to get there by the time I do my first Oly this summer.  Like you, I carry a lot of muscle, and just have a "sturdy" frame, so I'm never going to be tiny, but would be happy wearing a size 10/medium.  Oh, and I did all of this while on an anti-cancer drug called Tamoxifen, which normally causes weight gain - my oncologist was so shocked at my weight loss, lol.  So you CAN accomplish anything if you put forth the effort and don't give up!
2013-03-10 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
NSW
I had my 3rd child at 38, and during this developed GDM ( gestational diabetes), which was managed using large doses of insulin.Gained weight up to when he turned one then decided to,lose it when my 40th was appraoching. Did my first 5km run two months after my 40th, then joined Triathlon. Have lost 14kgs (I am 5ft2") still have 4kg to go. I am now 135pounds ( in your lingo)I also have Hashimotos so will be interested to see how the gluten free thing goes. I am struggling with this bit of weight.
2013-03-13 6:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thank you, I needed that. What an inspiring bunch of women.
So far (only two months in) no weight loss, but feeling better and staying focused on the being an athlete part.

Mitzi
2013-03-14 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Hi! I'm also on the weight loss train, although just starting. I started Triathlons after my 2 child was born. I lost nearly 40lbs and was BUFF. Then after several years, life happened. Injuries, work, child-raising. I am now up to 158lbs, size 10-12 and starting over. I really want to be back to where I feel strong. At 38, I'm finding the weight doesn't fly off like it used to, but I will take any improvement that I can!

Melanie

2013-03-15 3:48 AM
in reply to: #4657708

User image

Regular
NSW
MuscleMomma - 2013-03-13 11:19 PMThank you, I needed that. What an inspiring bunch of women.So far (only two months in) no weight loss, but feeling better and staying focused on the being an athlete part.Mitzi
Hi Mitzi,Have you tried measuring yourself? I find that the scales lie. Sometimes you carry fluid other times not, and then there is the impact of exercise on hydration. Compare measurements per month, can actually make you feel better.If you feel better about yourself then thats the most important thing. I also track my intake using myfitnesspal.com (when I am being good).Good luck there are lots of us in thesame boat.

User image

Regular
NSW
MuscleMomma - 2013-03-13 11:19 PMThank you, I needed that. What an inspiring bunch of women.So far (only two months in) no weight loss, but feeling better and staying focused on the being an athlete part.Mitzi
Hi Mitzi,Have you tried measuring yourself? I find that the scales lie. Sometimes you carry fluid other times not, and then there is the impact of exercise on hydration. Compare measurements per month, can actually make you feel better.If you feel better about yourself then thats the most important thing. I also track my intake using myfitnesspal.com (when I am being good).Good luck there are lots of us in thesame boat.

User image

Regular
NSW
2013-03-16 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi Melanie.

Flossy - No, my body isn't changing either - clothes fit the same etc.

One thing I learned from an article here on BT is that one can be a couch potato athlete. Kicking back and watching TV after a workout etc. From my bodybug it is clear - if I am not working out I am barely moving. As I'm not able to stick to a low cal diet, I'm going to focus on walking, movement, bursts of activity throughout the day. Might get me through this plateau I'm on.

Mitzi
2013-03-17 4:07 AM
in reply to: #4662851

User image

Regular
NSW
MuscleMomma - 2013-03-17 3:11 PMHi Melanie.Flossy - No, my body isn't changing either - clothes fit the same etc. One thing I learned from an article here on BT is that one can be a couch potato athlete. Kicking back and watching TV after a workout etc. From my bodybug it is clear - if I am not working out I am barely moving. As I'm not able to stick to a low cal diet, I'm going to focus on walking, movement, bursts of activity throughout the day. Might get me through this plateau I'm on.Mitzi
Just keep at it, eventually you will notice changes! I find a higher amount of protiein, really helps with my hunger.
2013-03-18 4:53 PM

Jefferson City

MuscleMomma - 2013-03-03 12:34 PM Seems all the inspiring stories about losing lots of weight and doing those oly or HIM are from men. Am I missing the stories from women or are there none. I'm 53 and perimenopause and swear to God that even when I workout and eat at a cal. deficit of a few 100 cals. I don't lose weight. Notice that I'll drop 5 lbs and then stay there for a few years then drop a few more - but it's not cutting it for me. I'm 5'1" and just want to lose 25lbs to get to 140 - that would be a size medium for me ( I am very muscular so I carrying my weight pretty well). I'm not looking to become a 3 - come on someone, tell me a story - inspire me! Mitzi

If you have a deficit of 200 calories per day, then you'd expect to lose a pound every 17 days since there is about 3500 calroies in a pound of fat. That of course assumes are you really decidated and never cheat; walking one extra mile per day would cut that to a pound every 11 days. You can easily get an extra mile of walking most days by just parking further from the entrance to where you are headed to.

2013-05-10 2:51 AM

I'm 5'3'' and my current weight is 127lbs. I'm still on my weight loss journey to a 120lbs Smile

I used to weigh a 150lbs and my weight loss success started with a weight loss video on youtube and this is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVdHYeDHC0 I have gone thorugh several weight loss tips and programs on net and gone through many weight loss videos. But I never had faith on any of them as I was already weary with a lot of other weight loss programs. But this video was outstanding as it said that you can eat all your favorite foods and still lose weight. The I started following more videos from them and it taught me how to eat food in the right way to lose weight, that is not just stuffing each meal with fast carbs or fat alone but to include the slow carbs, proteins and even fast carbs for healthy weight loss. And it worked for me. Now I'm on a 127lbs and still aiming for a 120lbs

All the success to those who are on a weight loss journeyInnocent

2013-05-10 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Montana
5'10" - I started at 230, and got down to 170 in 2008. Ran an OLY in under 3 hours, though I am a slow runner. Love the new life!

Log It - seriously, that is the only way. See my new post "Am I being impatient?"
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need inspiring weightloss story from woman Rss Feed