TCDC Fitness, Inc.
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 37s
Overall Rank = 14/67
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

The race didn't start till 9:00 and transition didn't open till 8 so I was able to sleep in till around 6 a.m. which was nice. Got up and had my coffee and had a double bowl of oatmeal since I was eating so long before the race. Left around 7:10 and got there right at 8:00 and got a GREAT transition spot, front row in front of the bike in/bike out! Had my stuff set up in about 2 minutes and went back to the car because it was COLD!
Event warmup:

Went and used the bathroom and walked down towards the race start, slow jogged about 1/4 mile and walked back then had my Gu and water and waited for the pre-race speech before the start.
Run
  • 14m 39s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

They had asked us to self seed, so I started right behind the tall, skinny fasties. I could tell within 1/4 mile I was going too fast, so consciously tried to slow it down a bit. My arms felt all weird like the blood was leaving them to go to my heart or something? I settled in by the turnaround and then was fine. Had quite a few people pass me, but I just kept my steady pace going.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe wear my Garmin?
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I don't know why this transition was so slow? It was an uphill run into transition so I was breathing pretty hard. I couldn't get my helmet strap clicked!! I'm sure that added about 15 seconds.

Practice putting on my helmet??
Bike
  • 35m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I was stoked about the bike leg!! I ended up 5th out of everyone! I rode hard, but not hard enough to really trash my legs, I just wanted to make up time before the second run. No one passed me and I passed tons of people.... in fact, if I was 27 coming out of the run, I passed 22 ladies who all rooted me on! I got lots of compliments about my bike riding prowess afterwards, ha ha! Very happy with this ride. There was definitely some wind involved too, so with the hills and the wind, I was happy with this pace.

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Another slow transition??? The girl racked next to me and I came in at the same time and she threw her bike on the rack in the way of my stuff! I had to say, "Girl, you're in my space!" and she had to stop and move her bike over. Got bike stuff off fine, but I was wearing my new running shoes and they are tight to put on even with the elastic laces, so I went ahead and sat down on the ground to put them on which I'm sure cost me some time, but it was better than trying to stand and do it. I normally have a calf cramp when I do this too! Finally grabbed my hat and was out of there.

Looks like I need to do some practice, I could have easily picked up close to a minute on both transitions...
Run
  • 15m 31s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I could tell I had gone hard on the bike. I was determined not to walk and I didn't, just kept putting one foot in front of the other. A few of the girls I passed on the bike passed me back on the run, but I had expected that. I stopped at the turnaround for a cup of Powerade and then started back. That sugar must have kicked in right away because I felt much better coming back.

Maybe have a Gu or some ShotBlox coming in on the bike 15 minutes out or so? I didn't bother because the race was so short, but I think the blast of carbs probably would have helped at the beginning of the run...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked quickly to the bathroom! As I was waiting at the start I realized I had to go, but thought maybe it was nerves... nope, I had to GO! Then got some food and water, met up with the one person I knew at the race and waited for the awards and give aways.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tranistions for sure! Other than that I was pretty happy with this early season race.

Event comments:

Very small race, and beginner friendly. All the ladies were very supportive of each other. I had two friends that were going to do it with me and backed out, that makes such a difference having friends to hang out with before and after. The timing company posted results really late! I was happy that I came in about 15 minutes ahead of the 2nd place AG... I think I'm doing pretty good for an old broad! Bring on tri season, hoping to do even better when there's a swim in there too!

Last updated: 2013-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:39 | 01.5 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 27/67
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course on a narrow paved trail, out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:06
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:35:21 | 10 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Overall: 5/67
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, all rollers. I don't think there was ever a flat!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:15:31 | 01.5 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 21/67
Performance: Average
Course: Same run as before.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-04 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Tough Cookie Women's Duathlon

2013-03-04 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4644977

User image

New user
KY
Subject: RE: Tough Cookie Women's Duathlon
Wow, you KILLED it!  Fantastic race!  Really impressive run pace and bike mph. Maybe all that trail running put some magic in there.  And I would have loved to witness the, "Girl, you're in my space!"  Congrats on smashing your ag by 15 minutes.  Unbelievable!  Can't wait to see your tri results this year:-)
2013-03-04 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Great race!  Congrats on the AG win!
2013-03-04 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4645863

User image

Veteran
Austin
Awesome race! I knew you would win your age group, but it most feel great to see your overall rank!! I wish I had gone ahead and done it. A lot of girls from my tri group were out there and it looked like fun. That being said, I was glad to not be out there in the wind! Congrats!!
2013-03-05 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Greeeaaatt race!  I must admit that the highlight for me was picturing you, in the midst of transition, telling some young thing, "Girl, you're in my space!"

Congrats - all the years of hard work have made you a speed demon!!!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tough Cookie Women's Duathlon Rss Feed