TriEvents
27C / 81F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 32s
Overall Rank = 200/351
Age Group = F 30 -34
Age Group Rank = 42/62
Pre-race routine:

Getting up for the race was much easier than normal, now that I'm more of a morning person than I was last year! Same pre-race rituals as usual. Toast with peanut butter and a black coffee.

My boyfriend dropped me off and I managed to easily find him on the beach after I set up transition. I also found my friend Brenda in the massive crowd.
Event warmup:

My warmup involves a short swim in the water to get used to the water temperature. The water was nice and warm (much better than back in December!).

Considering I hadn't trained for the event due to a sore knee (no training = two, 2 km runs in the past 3 months and two 20 km bike rides. I have been swimming though!), I was very nervous. I was heading into the race with no expectations and thinking I might have to pull out if my knee hurt too much. Still with no expectations I was nervous and felt a bit sick!
Swim
  • 18m 48s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started to the left of the pack and held a relatively straight line towards the first buoy. The turn was conjested and I surprisingly found myself still with the majority of the pack to the second buoy so I had to deal with lots of kicking and hitting. By the time we rounded the third buoy, the pack was more spread out and I had more room. Drafting was non-existent and something I have to work on. The last long length before the last turn towards shore was tough as it started to get choppy. For a few seconds I thought I was going to throw up. Ick!
What would you do differently?:

Try to draft more. Train more leading up to the race!
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

My transition time was very slow since I had to sit down on the grass to put my socks and shoes on as well as dry myself off as much as possible so the tape I had for my knee would stick. I did my best, but the tape wasn't sticking. I decided to head off on the bike with the bad tape job (pink and purple tape).

Practice transitions. I haven't had to do one for over a year and besides the taping, I could have been quicker.
Bike
  • 44m 37s
  • 21 kms
  • 28.24 km/hr
Comments:

The official race times include both transitions in the cycle time, but I've used my garmin times for the swim, bike, run and transitions for this race report. My cycle time and cycle rankings are terrible because of the long transitions.

Since I didn't think I'd be able to run due to the knee issues, I pushed harder on the bike than I ever had before (I like fresh-ish legs for a fast run). I was very happy with my bike time seeing as I hadn't been able to train for it. If only I hadn't injured myself and had the chance to train properly!

Quicker with the bike mounting and getting going on the course. I also forgot my bento box so I had no nutrition on the bike ride. All I had was water, which I was able to finish by the end of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

T2 was also slow due to the second attempt at taping my right knee. I tried the second type of tape but since I was sweaty, it didn't stick at all. The tape was half off by the time I was 200m into the run.

Since I hadn't had anything but water on the bike, I decided to grab a handful of jellybeans and eat those while I was running out of transition. Bad idea. I was burping jellybeans for the entire run.

Nothing. I was pretty happy with T2 except for the jellybeans!
Run
  • 29m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

At the start of the race and the run, I didn't think I'd be able to complete the 5km. My knee felt a bit off so I stopped to walk about a half dozen times. I tried to time the walk breaks with the water stations but also stopped to walk when my knee felt uncomfortable. I was really worried about it seeing as the tape didn't work. I also realized how running unfit I am since I was breathing very heavily. My two, 2km training runs prior to the race were at 8km/hr. I was surprised to see that with the walk breaks I was still under 30 minutes.

Besides training more, I was happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line with a huge smile on my face, grabbed a water, took off my timing chip and found my boyfriend, his friend and his girlfriend who also did the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to a knee injury.

Event comments:

The only negative comment I have about the race was the lack of volunteers at the transition exits, so there was no one checking to make sure people weren't walking out with bikes they don't own. Fortunately nothing of mine was stolen.

Also, very minor negative comment, but it was very hot and there was no sports drink available on the course or for after the race. The only option was water. Next time, I'll make sure to have my own sports drink to rehydrate.

Besides that, the event, as always, was well organized and lots of fun!

Last updated: 2012-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:48 | 750 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/62
Overall: 196/351
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: The swim is one lap and includes three turns. Waves have approximately 75 people.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:37 | 21 kms | 28.24 km/hr
Age Group: 41/62
Overall: 212/351
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps with slight inclines and several turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:19 | 05 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 42/62
Overall: 200/351
Performance: Below average
Course: One lap, out and back. By this time it was quite hot (about 30 degrees).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes