SWEAT Running Club
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 38s
Overall Rank = 206/289
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 21/25
Event warmup:

Jogged back over to the van to drop off coat then jogged back to race finish Maybe 1/3 mile. Walked from there over to race start with Becky, Bill, and Kathy and our girls.
Run
  • 1h 31m 38s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal going into the race was to maintain a 9:30/mile pace throughout the run. This was based on my training runs and the fact that 10 miles would be my longest continuous run to date.
I started out with about a 9:10 first mile. The pace felt good and my heart rate was 153 so I just settled in and tried to maintain that heart rate. the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th miles were each a few seconds slower than the last mile as I just focused on heart rate and keeping good form. Things really started to thin out and I topped the hill at about 4 miles feeling pretty good. Along the roadway through the neighborhood it almost felt like I was running alone. I stopped to refill my water bottle at the aid station a bit past the halfway point. From here on my heart rate crawled up to about 165. I tried to rein in a bit to bring it down, but with the hillier portion I had a hard time slowing down enough to drop under 160. At about mile 8 I tried to pick up the pace a bit and was able to average a bit under 9:00 for mile 9. Then with 1 to go I gradually picked up a bit more and was able to finish at a good run but a bit short of a full sprint.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe started a bit closer to the front, but not much. I think my goal was a bit conservative with this being my first 10 miler.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training only. I ran this race at about the best pace I could.

Last updated: 2013-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:31:38 | 10 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 206/289
Performance: Good
Course: Starting from the south side parking lot at the Sacramento River Trail The mostly flat trail winds along the river until the 1 1/2 mile mark where a short hill leads up onto the old railroad grade. At the 2 1/2 mile point the route crosses the "Ribbon" bridge to the north side of the river. The next 1 1/2 miles wind around above the river's north bank where there are a few smaller hills and one significant climb up and then down around 80 foot of elevation gain and loss for that one hill. Then about a 1 1/2 mile flat loop on residential streets and back onto the trail to reverse the first 4 miles and finish by crossing the Lake Redding Bridge then down around the base to pass under the bridge to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes