Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where to stay in Venice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-05 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Where to stay in Venice
I'm taking a cycling trip this summer and our starting point is Venice..  We'll have 3 days at the start of our trip.  Recommendations on a place to stay?

2013-03-05 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4647944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Where to stay in Venice
Venice Italy ? Or Venice California ?
2013-03-05 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4647948

User image

Veteran
Texas

louamerica - 2013-03-05 7:53 PM Venice Italy ? Or Venice California ?

Italy

2013-03-05 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
No specific advice.  Avoid basement rooms.
2013-03-06 1:00 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Check out a hotel called Saturnia (or Saturno). Its a cool place with a good location just off St Mark's square. Venice is a great place to just walk and walk and walk. If you're going with kids who get tired of walking after a couple hours I highly recommend a book you can buy locally that turns it into a treasure hunt game. The book gives you clues of items to find around the city. You send a text message when you find it and it starts you off with the next set of clues based on page references to the book. Kids are absorbed in the game aspect. You learn the backstory to a lot of places. And needless to say you cover the city. Doge palace is an absolute must to see. There's also some decent shows to see as its a pretty theatrical place. If you're going in the summer be prepared for crowds and hot sweaty conditions. That said its possibly my favorite destination in Europe. Enjoy.

2013-03-06 9:17 AM

User image

Do you want to stay right in old Venice (on the island) or over in the new city part? 

Last summer we stayed at the San Marco Palace Suites.  It was a good hotel in a great location for walking around literally 30 seconds off San Marco square.  Of course remembering that well everything is old......you know what I mean.  The hotel was a bit worn by our inflated Canadian standards but clean and functioning.  If you have a whole load of gear (bikes?) then you also have to remember that you will have to haul everything across the canals/cobblestone. 

There is a big bridge and train that goes over to the more "modern" side of Venice that is probably less expensive and more accesible.  We didn't get over there as we were only in Venice for 3 days also so just explored on foot mostly.  Hope this helps. 

2013-03-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4648369

User image

Veteran
Texas
purestone - 2013-03-06 9:17 AM

Do you want to stay right in old Venice (on the island) or over in the new city part? 

Last summer we stayed at the San Marco Palace Suites.  It was a good hotel in a great location for walking around literally 30 seconds off San Marco square.  Of course remembering that well everything is old......you know what I mean.  The hotel was a bit worn by our inflated Canadian standards but clean and functioning.  If you have a whole load of gear (bikes?) then you also have to remember that you will have to haul everything across the canals/cobblestone. 

There is a big bridge and train that goes over to the more "modern" side of Venice that is probably less expensive and more accesible.  We didn't get over there as we were only in Venice for 3 days also so just explored on foot mostly.  Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the info.  This is our first trip to Venice so we are OPEN to all suggestions!  We won't have to worry with the bikes until our last day there, as we meet the tour company to pick them up. 

2013-03-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4648550

User image

Champion
Chicago
goose1126 - 2013-03-06 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info.  This is our first trip to Venice so we are OPEN to all suggestions!  We won't have to worry with the bikes until our last day there, as we meet the tour company to pick them up. 

We stayed on the Lido (the island just off the main city) and it was wonderful. By our third night we were practically locals at the nearby enoteca, The Glacial, and the people are much more friendly than they were in the city. they chatted us up and we chatted them up and they gave us lots of wine and we drank it! We ran to each end of the island (it's way longer than we thought so beware) and it was beautiful running along the Adriatic, which was another nice part, that it had an actual sand beach! We'd wake up and take the water taxi, about a 10-minute boat ride that afforded great views of Venice, to the main island and walk around for a couple hours, grab some lunch, see some sights, grab some dinner and head back to the Lido away from the areas that were overcrowded with tourists.

I would HIGHLY recommend staying on the Lido, especially if you're like me and don't like throngs of drunken tourists.
2013-03-06 12:27 PM

User image

I stayed at HOTEL AI MORI D'ORIENTE when I was there in February of 2007.  Not sure what has changed since then, but the hotel was great.  Building next door was condemned, so we were a little nervous when we were walking up to the hotel, but it was fine.  I actually booked the room off a random website (Asianrooms.com I believe) that I wasn't sure about, but it was listed as a 4 star hotel and I figured worst case scenario I could find an expensive room someplace if it was a real dump or the website didn't come through with the reservation.
2013-03-06 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4648652

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
mr2tony - 2013-03-06 12:02 PM
goose1126 - 2013-03-06 10:57 AM

We stayed on the Lido (the island just off the main city) and it was wonderful. By our third night we were practically locals at the nearby enoteca, The Glacial, and the people are much more friendly than they were in the city. they chatted us up and we chatted them up and they gave us lots of wine and we drank it! We ran to each end of the island (it's way longer than we thought so beware) and it was beautiful running along the Adriatic, which was another nice part, that it had an actual sand beach! We'd wake up and take the water taxi, about a 10-minute boat ride that afforded great views of Venice, to the main island and walk around for a couple hours, grab some lunch, see some sights, grab some dinner and head back to the Lido away from the areas that were overcrowded with tourists. I would HIGHLY recommend staying on the Lido, especially if you're like me and don't like throngs of drunken tourists.

I loved staying on the Lido!  We had a great little B&B (though we only made it to breakfast one morning) just off of the main street where you will find various restaurants, stores, pubs and information areas.  Do NOT think about running around the island until you realize just how big the thing is... I was saying a LOT of bad words by the time we got back to the hotel.  Walking around the various areas was fantastic and I loved the little streets.  Oh, and beware of going to get a coffee and listen to the entertainment in St. Mark's Square... unless you don't mind paying €30 for 2 small cups of coffee.  

2013-03-06 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas

I'm glad to hear your comments about staying on the Lido.  I've read several places online tht really encourage 1st timers to stay in Venice to get the full experience.  I'd been thinking it would be nice to have a place to get away from the throngs of tourists.  Thanks to your advice, I'm leaning towards booking a room on the Lido.

2013-03-06 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4648817

User image

Champion
Chicago
goose1126 - 2013-03-06 1:13 PM

I'm glad to hear your comments about staying on the Lido.  I've read several places online tht really encourage 1st timers to stay in Venice to get the full experience.  I'd been thinking it would be nice to have a place to get away from the throngs of tourists.  Thanks to your advice, I'm leaning towards booking a room on the Lido.

You can get the full experience regardless. We found that Venice doesn't have the nightlife you get in large cities such as Rome so I dont think you'll be missing much unless you're a club-type person. We did a nice dinner and took in the sights of Venice at night before catching the last water bus back to the lido. It was `perfetto.'
2013-03-06 2:28 PM

User image

With my grand total of 3 days experience in Venice Smile i would tend to agree with the staying on a quieter island like Lido especially if you aren't in to the crowds. Maybe depending on the time of year?  i assume it will be summer.  We were there in early June I thought BEFORE the big tourist rush.  Well I must have been wrong or I can't imagine what San Marco area is like when it is full on?  (July/August?) it was really really busy.  And yes expensive.  We did experience the "fee for music".   

Saying all that though what a magical place, well it was for me.  It was exactly as it looks like on TV.  I know that sounds silly but hopefully you know what i mean.  Enjoy!

2013-03-06 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

We stayed at the Hotel Rialto which is right by the end of the Railto Bridge.  It was a spectacular place to stay.

After about 6 PM the island is not nearly as crowded as the tourists have left for the day.

Definitely take time to go to Murano.

2013-03-07 3:47 AM

User image

Shelby Township, MI
Was in Venice last year late June/early July. Stayed at Hotel Marconi. Excellent location right by the Rialto Bridge on the Grand Canal.

Rooms, like nearly all in Europe, cans be on the smaller side. Very clean and the bathroom was a bit more modern.

Get up early one day and head to St. Marks. No crowds and a prime photo opportunity.

I agree with Hugh, Murano is a must see.

Enjoy.
2013-03-07 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Denver
When I was there I stayed at a place about 1/2 way between the train station & St. Marks Sq.  If I were going back I think I'd check into VRBO.  There's a lot of international places on it now & I think that could be a great way of getting a nice place and getting to really experience a place away from the super touristy areas.   

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where to stay in Venice Rss Feed