General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-06-03 1:05 PM
in reply to: dsand97

User image

Canyon, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake : Official Thread
I did the organized 1.2mi swim at BSL on Sat morning, the water felt great but the wind went ape from the NE half way through. My training should peak this week and I think I got my nutrition nailed down last weekend. I am also trying to schedule my runs on the hottest days of the week. I think I might survive this one

2013-06-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Expert
Yeah I've started taking weekly runs in the mid afternoon to acclimate. Feeling good on all disciplines. Working on getting nutrition plan dialed in. Week ending the 15th is my peak training week, and roll into a two week taper.

Good news is San Antonio heat index has mirrored Lubbock heat index. Just a different kind of heat, and after a few 14 mile runs in high heat and high humidity with no wind, I might welcome some drier conditions with air circulation. Hopefully winds will stay in the low teens. Although growing up, up there, I know that there is just no telling.
2013-06-09 1:39 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
What was the water temperature? Wet suit or no?
Thanks,
Lance
2013-06-09 2:28 PM
in reply to: lancemc5

User image

Canyon, Texas
Average water temp will be 70-74 degrees.
2013-06-10 2:25 PM

User image

Anybody have garrmin files on the bike or run they can post?
2013-06-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: roamingseaside

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas

2013-06-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: lancemc5

User image

I am in on this. I already did Austin and glaveston in the last 9 months so I figured why not just do all the Texas 70.3 no to mention I did Ironman Texas. This will be my warm up for Ironman Louisville
2013-06-11 9:39 AM
in reply to: firefighterwes

User image

Regular
Originally posted by firefighterwes

I am in on this. I already did Austin and glaveston in the last 9 months so I figured why not just do all the Texas 70.3 no to mention I did Ironman Texas. This will be my warm up for Ironman Louisville

Damn, that's a busy schedule. I hear IM Louisville is a hilly and hot, so BSLT will be a good tune-up.

2013-06-11 2:45 PM
in reply to: mbwallis

User image

Seattle
Hello,
Does Buffalo Springs have you rack your bike the day before the race like Boise & Lake Stevens?

BTW Louisville run is flat as a pancake. Bike: when you come from the NW Louisville seems really flat too, after mile 70 it was all down hill! You go up & down a creek valley a couple of times. It's the heat running through downtown Louisville that will haunt you.

jsm

2013-06-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: jsm

User image

Regular
Originally posted by jsm

Does Buffalo Springs have you rack your bike the day before the race like Boise & Lake Stevens?

No, 70.3 transition opens Sunday morning, that's when you'll rack. There are other races there on Saturday.
2013-06-13 1:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
So, I got hit by a car last Wednesday while I was riding. Ambulance ride to the ER and everything. I guess my training just went to hell and my goal is to finish BSLT. My doctor thinks I'm nuts still doing BSLT, but there's no way that lady that hit me (and then ran...Sheriff caught her) is going to keep me out of that race.

I'll be the moron with the nasty road rash healing on his right arm, shoulder, and back, wincing every step of the way. Can't wait to try and run with my 15 stitches in my right ankle too. Yippee....

2013-06-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: PHXATC

User image

Regular
Damn, brother. I hope you heal quickly. Just think about how sweet that finisher's medal will feel.

Glad they caught her.
2013-06-17 7:21 AM
in reply to: PHXATC

User image

Expert
Damn, makes me sound like a whiny baby.

On my last really long run Saturday morning I was running along as best I could on a particularly hot and humid morning. 5.5 miles into a 14 miler through an industrial park. Apparently a truck driver had changed his tire there on the shoulder and forgot to put on one of his lugnuts. It was chrome and blended well with the concrete pavement in the early morning hours. I managed to find it and stride right onto it with my right foot. Rolling my ankle and sending me horizontal. Manage to pull off a really cool ninja combat roll on my shoulder and pop right back up. Ankle hurt some but really was feeling it in the balls of my toes on my right foot. Ankle has subsided but foot still hurts. Hurt enough to have me cancel my long ride yesterday. I decided that my training base would have to be enough, and I would do more damage trying to push through a potential injury and make it worse. So instead I just "RICE"d it.

Foot is feeling better today. May try and take it out for a short little three miler and see how she feels. I can still feel it, feels like a bruise only there is no evidence of any bruising. Luckily I can still swim and that's my weakest event so we'll focus on that.
2013-06-18 11:18 AM

User image

Originally posted by mbwallis

Originally posted by firefighterwes

Damn, that's a busy schedule. I hear IM Louisville is a hilly and hot, so BSLT will be a good tune-up.

Yea I'm really hoping for just really rough conidtions at BSLT just so Louisville will feel a little easier. Ironman Texas was a beat down due to the heat that just showed up on race day. Heat acclimation means more than I thought.
2013-06-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: firefighterwes

User image

Regular
Yea I'm really hoping for just really rough conidtions at BSLT just so Louisville will feel a little easier.

Whoa there, let's not overdo it! Forecast for Lubbock mid next week calls for a high in the low/mid 90s and winds < 17mph. I'd take that in a heartbeat on race day.
2013-06-20 7:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by PHXATC

So, I got hit by a car last Wednesday while I was riding. Ambulance ride to the ER and everything. I guess my training just went to hell and my goal is to finish BSLT. My doctor thinks I'm nuts still doing BSLT, but there's no way that lady that hit me (and then ran...Sheriff caught her) is going to keep me out of that race.

I'll be the moron with the nasty road rash healing on his right arm, shoulder, and back, wincing every step of the way. Can't wait to try and run with my 15 stitches in my right ankle too. Yippee....

Guess my complaining about the heat now sounds a little silly. See you there and hope the recovery goes well

Edited by roamingseaside 2013-06-20 7:15 PM

2013-06-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4649837

User image

Canyon, Texas
I just glanced at the forecast on weather underground... High of 88*F, Clear, <5mph winds, 40% chance of rain on Sat night... Probably means humidity.
2013-06-21 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Originally posted by tlancer23 I just glanced at the forecast on weather underground... High of 88*F, Clear, <5mph winds, 40% chance of rain on Sat night... Probably means humidity.

That would be awesome weather for a race here.  I've done it in cold rain, and in super hot.   Time for a temperate race.

Hope you guys heal quickly.

Me, I signed up sometime mid winter to take advantage of the price break.  My season/training was put on hold until about a month ago.  I finally decided last week after an 8 mile longest run that I 'd give the 1/2 a try.  The swim and bike should not be a problem, but the run will be quite long for me.  Still, I love the venue and the race in general, so I'm going.

If you've never raced this one before I have a hint for MOP and BOP racers:  the climb out of T1 is steep.  Quite steep.  I think that the effort you have to expend to get up the hill sets you up to ride harder than you might have planned to.  So remember to back it off once you reach the plains.   Watch out for jettisoned water bottles etc as you approach the dam.  The pavement is bumpy and stuff falls off of bikes.

2013-06-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: jashac

User image

Regular
As they say in Texas, if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes.

For grins, I've been monitoring weather.com's forecast for Sunday, just to see how much it changes in the 10 days leading up. In the past 3 days the projected high has moved from 93 to 94 and now 97. At this rate, we'll race in 110. ;-) Wind projections have remained fairly steady at 13-14, which would be nice for that part of Texas. It'll change 5 more times between now and then.
2013-06-24 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
I agree about the weather. Just so long as it is somewhat dry which is usually a given up there, and there is some sort of breeze, again a given I will be alright. I grew up just north of there, but have lived in the San Antonio area for the past 8 or 9 years. The last few weeks have been miserable because of high humidity and low winds.

I've heard about the climb out of T1, fortunately living along the southern edge of the Texas Hill country I've had nothing but climbs to train on. Don't know how I'll react the the flats and false flats....lol

Anyone interested in putting together a group scouting swim on Friday or Saturday, or a BT meetup for a pre-race dinner?
2013-06-24 7:57 AM

User image

Regular

Anyone interested in putting together a group scouting swim on Friday or Saturday, ...?

FYI, Marti said that he's working with the lake folks to establish a time where the entire swim course can be swum on Friday, if so desired. He said he'd update the website with the time, but I don't see it yet. Realize they have the sprint and Oly races on Saturday, though you can swim after that (the course just won't be closed, so you'll have to watch for boat traffic).

Oh, and the forecast is up 3 more degrees today, to 100.

2013-06-24 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mbwallis

Anyone interested in putting together a group scouting swim on Friday or Saturday, ...?

Oh, and the forecast is up 3 more degrees today, to 100.

You're just full of good news....lol
2013-06-25 9:15 AM

User image

Austin

The temp does look like it creep-ed higher, lets hope a crazy cold front comes in.

I am super excited, and terrified of this race. I am excited since I know I have all the distances in me, this will be my second HIM, and I feel in better over all shape and less weight than last year. But I just had a root canal yesterday and right now I can't even think about running. Nothing like you guys with foot stitches and what not.

So good luck to everyone! Ill try to make sure to say good job as you pass me on Sunday!

2013-06-25 9:32 AM
in reply to: jetsers

User image

Expert
I'm excited too. I feel confident in my ability to get all the distances. This will be my first go at the HIM distance and a homecoming for me as well. Temps don't concern me too much. I've been training in similar temps with more humidity and less wind. Looking forward to it definitely.

Family is prepping a large early dinner for me on Saturday night so it should be a good time.
2013-06-25 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Forecasted high temperature is back down to 97, with winds now predicted out of the east (a few days ago it was a SW wind). So it's changing every day.

I've also been training in the heat, particularly running. My main unknown is just how hard to go on the bike. Also, I have not been able to include many hills on my runs, and I know the BSLT run features 3 challenging hills. So I'm hoping those don't kill me. But overall I feel fit and ready, I'm anxious for it to get here.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3