General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New saddle or new seat post? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-07 2:21 PM

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
Subject: New saddle or new seat post?

I know this question probably doesn't have a definitive answer, but I'll ask it anyway....

I noticed that about 20-25 minutes into a ride, I suffer from Le Numbness of Le Junk, which I can alleviate by standing up for about 10 seconds to let the blood flow back to said area (which I have to repeat about every 10-15 minutes henceforth. Yeah, that's right--henceforth!).

Anyway, I had a fitting done at my LBS a couple months ago and brought this up. The guy doing my fitting (the fitter?) tried adjusting the saddle angle but ultimately said that I should invest in a seat post that will allow more minute adjustments (my current post is the "click from one setting to the other" variety that doesn't allow for customized adjustments). 

I've read all the posts I could find on numbness and their remedy, but I haven't read anything about seat posts-- it always seems to come back to the saddle. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience/opinions on swapping the seat post rather than the seat itself ...?

2013-03-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4650624

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: New saddle or new seat post?

The comment about the seatpost is pointing toward you potentially needing a position in between the "notches". Yeah, your 'taint might be THAT picky about saddle position.

But(t)...

Have you tried a different saddle like the Cobb or Adamo? Numbness is usually an issue of pressure on a nerve. Remove that which applies the pressure, and the numbness should be a thing of the past.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New saddle or new seat post? Rss Feed