General Discussion Race Reports! » ORRRC Splash-N-Dash #3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ORRRC Splash-N-Dash #3 - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kettering, Ohio
United States
Ohio River Road Runners Club
Overcast
Total Time = 44m 11s
Overall Rank = 13/43
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

I sat in transition and read A Portrait of a Lady. It seems I get some good reading done pre-race these days.
Event warmup:

I was in the first wave and it is really difficult to get any sort of a warmup in. It's "Time to get in the pool", and you try to do a quick lap but then it's "Time for the pre-race meeting" followed immediately by "Okay Let's Start!"
Swim
  • 18m 28s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an improvement of about 30 seconds over Splash N Dash #2, which I imagine was due solely to not being up against the pool wall this time. I'm still about a minute off from my best Splash N Dash swim time in previous years but I don't do much swim training currently so it's to be expected.
What would you do differently?:

Swim at some point other than these races.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

(transition time included in run split)

Finally! In the first two races in this series my transitions were absolutely horrible. I was bewildered by this as transition had always been my best triathlon discipline. But I realized that before the January race I hadn't been in a race with a transition since May of 2011. I was just out of practice.

So I made it a point of emphasis to improve this race and I did. Instead of putting my tight under armor shirt on in transition, I just put the neck over my head and worried about getting my arms in the sleeves as I continued out the door. Instead of switching from swim cap to toboggan I just ran in my swim cap. I didn't put on a Garmin or RoadID. I just focused solely on what was necessary (shoes, socks, race bib, shirt) and got out the door.

Nothing. This went well. In fact, the guy who swam in the lane next to me and was about 3 laps ahead of me by the end of the swim didn't beat me out of transition.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

(time includes transition)

I was a bit out of sorts as usual on the first lap (the guy I passed in transition passed me back quickly) but once I finished the first loop I had settled in. I stopped at the water stop, took a good drink, and saw my old lane partner not as far ahead as I thought he should be. Everyone was complaining about the cold but the only cold I felt was in my heart as I methodically set about running my lane partner down. With my tank refueled I felt like a NASCAR machine with four fresh tires running down a guy who only took two during the pit stop. About a quarter mile from the finish I succeeded and sprinted home to the thrill and delight of all those lucky enough to witness this monumental battle.

Not make the above paragraph so melodramatic.

Oh you mean the run? Nothing. It was an epic whose tale will continued to be told long after the mountains have crumbled to dust.... oh I'm doing it again aren't I?
Post race
Warm down:

As my lane partner passed through the finishing gate and collapsed from exhaustion I stood over his defeated corpse-like body and let fly a battle cry from the depths of my being. THIS IS MY TIME! THIS IS MY HOUSE! YOU WILL NOT TAKE 13TH PLACE AWAY FROM ME!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

I would like more of a warmup at the beginning and a faster turn around on the race results. Minor nitpicks tho.

Last updated: 2013-03-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:28 | 1000 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 26/43
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: