Score-This
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 46s
Overall Rank = 54/164
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Didn't have the best nights rest. Storms rolled in during the night and made sleeping in the tent a bit difficult. I would say I got about 5 hours, maybe 6 hours of sleep, but with several interruptions during the night. Woke up at 6am, went to the restroom, fixed a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich and drank a sports drink. Headed over to the race site about 6:30 and setup my transition area.
Event warmup:

Tried to remain relaxed, did a bit of moving around and getting set for the start. Need to develop a warmup routine.
Run
  • 23m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Hard not to stay cool with the wind. I wanted to be around 25 minutes for this run, I knew I could do that comfortablely and not spend every thing on the first leg.
What would you do differently?:

Not much that I would do differently here. Given the change in the race format I knew doing two 5k's with a 13 mile bike ride with a strong gusty wind was going to be near my limits.
Transition 1
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

T1 went much better than my previous races. I attached my shoes to the bike in a slightly different manner and had great luck with it. Remembered to do every thing I needed to, well, except to use the lap function on my watch.

Some more practice to get a better flow through the transition. I was pleased with how things went this time as compared to previous events.
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Did have any cramps on this ride. Spent too much on the ride though, paid for it on the second run. Disk wheels were outlawed for this race, not that I had to worry about that, but even with standard wheels there were a couple of times when a gust of wind caught the bike and moved it one way or the other.

Given the distance and time it took I should have tried to Gu once I was nearing the last portion of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Someone with a kickstand decided to park his bike right next to my spot as I was coming in. I sort of said something to him and he relocated to another spot. This sort of took away from my concentration, I had been working through my head as I was coming in off the bike. Take off Bike shoes, take off helmet and then put on running shoes. Well, I forgot the darn helmet, so I lost a few seconds while went back to take it off. Thanks to the nice Announcer to say my number, name and the fact that I still had my helmet on as I was leaving T2. One of these days I'll get so I can take my feet out of my shoes while riding, with the strong wind coming into our faces in the last parts of the ride I didn't want to take any chances on this race, it's not like it would have saved me much time, though maybe I wouldn't have forgotten the helmet if all I had to do was helmet and running shoes.

Practice, Practice, Practice. This is the second time this season that I've missed something during a transition. It's strange because I do a T2 transition at least once a week when I do my bricks. I'll have to think of a better way to go through the progression.
Run
  • 27m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I was spent, I actually had to walk a couple of stretches. I walked twice just before and just after the water stops. Primary reason was to get my heartrate to a point where I knew I could actually finish the run, both times my breathing and heart rate were nearly out of control. I also wanted to make sure I got enough water at the aide stations.

Not much I could do differently. Since there wasn't a swim, we did a 5km as the first leg. This took alot out of many people, I was thinking they'd do something more along the lines of a 1.5-2.0 mile run, which would have been about the same amount of time for an average swimmer at 500m and an average runner for that distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and got some water in me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Race distance, current fitness level and the Weather.

Event comments:

Given the weather and other changes to the race, the course was very difficult for my current abilities. I have enjoyed this race in the past, but with the change in the bike course as well as some of the road/trail conditions I'm now thinking of not doing it again.

Last updated: 2006-04-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:59 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 66/164
Performance: Good
Heart rate was 165 give or take a few beats for the entire run, even though I was trying to hold back some in order to save something for the bike and the reamining run.
Course: Was scheduled to be a 500 meter swim, but with 3-4 ft. breakers coming in off the lake and a strong 30-35mph wind the swim was cancelled. We had to do a 5km run to start with (the same distance they used for the Intermediate distance participants). The run course covers all types of ground, decent asphalt paths, some road ways, some grass and a covered bridge. It can be a difficult course as there are many spots to turn an ankle or stumble if you're not paying attention. There was an additional water station this year, that was helpful.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:42:18 | 13.1 miles | 18.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 49/164
Performance: Average
Tried to keep heart rate around 155, at times this was difficult. I was in my lowest gear and still had some troubles with the headwind and hills on the long trek down Route 5, about 5.5 miles into a very strong headwind, at times there was no protection what so ever from the wind.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course went out of Evangola State Park and then a big circle. Once you hit Route 5, it was a long uphill into a 30-35mph wind. Even when you crested the hill it was still a difficult ride into the teeth of the wind. Course was fairly smooth, but there were several areas where the road was rough, more so than I would expect. Mileage taken from bike computer, official measurement was 12.6, but course was a bit longer than that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:27:04 | 03.11 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 68/164
Performance: Average
Heart rate was in the 170's and maxed out at 188.
Course: Same loop at the first leg.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-05 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Tri in the Buff - Sprint Distance

2006-07-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: #473903

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Tri in the Buff - Sprint Distance
Chris,

Sorry you had such a tough race. I know its not easy to change to a Du at the last minute, particularly as long a double 5Ks. Looks like you made the most of the situation and got some good experience.

Hope we can get together and ride sometime soon.

Rob
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri in the Buff - Sprint Distance Rss Feed