General Discussion Race Reports! » Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fairport, New York
United States
Yellow Jacket Racing / Fleet Feet Rochester
73F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 38m 28s
Overall Rank = 138/532
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/43
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30am, had a bowl of Oatmeal and drank a liter of water. Cleaned up my running shoes and put in normal shoelaces. Left for the race shortly after 7am, arrived at race site at 7:40am, got chip and headed to the starting line.
Event warmup:

Did an easy 10 minute jog. Stretched calves, quads, groin and hamstrings. Did the plyometric drills from the RIT Track Team. Stretched some more. Walked down the road a bit to find a nice tree to water, jogged back with a couple of 15-20 second strides thrown in. Was at the start line about 5-7 minutes before the horn.
Run
  • 38m 27s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Light but steady rain coming down during the race, helped a bit with staying cool. Took water at each stop, drank a few sips and then dumped the rest on the head and neck. I was a bit faster than I thought I would be, I assumed I could manage around a 7:45-8:00 min per mile pace, I was a bit faster than that. Tried to go out the first mile and make the hills, stay steady for the next two, recover a bit in the 4th and push as much as possible in the last mile.
What would you do differently?:

This race was not originally on my schedule, it was supposed to be run by my wife. She has a slight injury and couldn't run so we changed the race registration over to me. Given that I did a race on Sunday (July 2nd) that ended up being a 5km run, 20km bike, and a 5km run with a strong wind (35+ mph) I was already very tired for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank a sports drink and ate half a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough recovery from the race on Sunday.

Event comments:

Very well run race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:27 | 05 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/43
Overall: 168/532
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:26.1 164 Mile 2: 7:49.6 169 Mile 3: 7:49.5 167 Mile 4: 7:54.2 169 Mile 5: 7:28.6 171
Course: Loop around the village of Fairport. Started out with a decent hill in the first mile, two in the second mile. Leveled out some in the next couple of miles. Finish line was up a slight hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-05 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fleet Feet Sports Firecracker 5 Mile Rss Feed