FleetFeet
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 18m 43s
Overall Rank = 15/197
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 6/33
Pre-race routine:

I ran out of oatmeal, so I was not off to the ideal start. But I choked down a little pb&j sammich and some granola bar.
I then experienced a gut-wrenching stomach ache for the whole ride out to the race.
Event warmup:

I started feeling better pretty quickly, and went for a jog about 15mins before the start. I was back at the line with 10 mins to spare. I did some light stretching (since I already felt pretty loose and limber) and a couple pick-ups, and took my place near the starting line.
Run
  • 18m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again, I did not wear my HRM. I went out the first my pretty quickly, but had no idea I was doing it until I checked my watch. 5:25. Faster than I should be running, ever. But it was downhill, so it made some sense. Unfortunatly it hurt me at the turn around. I had settled into a good pace for me that had me about 12th place overall, but I couldn't maintain it. A couple people passed me in the middle of the race that I did not stay with. Not sure why I let them go. I was already running full-tilt I believe.
The lead pack, which was really no longer a pack by the end of the race, was quite spread out, and I did not pick off anybody in the final straightaway.

**I have to address something else here, too-- and I'm about to get cranky** To the 7yr old kid in the VERY FRONT of the race's starting line: move to the back!! This dumb little kid was in serious danger of being trampled, and his dumb parents were right there to get it all on video camera. I'm sure they think it's cute that Junior is at the front of the pack with the fastest guys on the course about to mow him down, but you have to be an idiot to LET your kid do that, let alone ENCOURAGE it. I guess the child survived alright, but I think he's lucky, becuase he was very small, and got passed immediately by a couple hundred excited racers. Assuming he survived that ordeal, I'm sure his parents took him home and promptly duct-taped roman candles to his hands and had him play with those in the middle of the street. I bet they'll cherish that footage, too. **

What would you do differently?:

Overall, I am pleased with my effort, but no my execution. I know better than to lay down such a fast first mile. I would discipline myself to run no faster than a 6:00 mile to start, and then attempt to negative split the next two. I get a huge boost from passing people, and would much rather do that, than be passed.
Also, this ended up being a tough AG with 5 of the top 10 times coming from it. Some VERY VERY fast runners, including the 21 yr old winner, who blistered the course with 5:05's. woooo!!!
Post race
Warm down:

walked back down the race course to cheer for my wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

getting caught up in the early sprint.

Last updated: 2006-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:43 | 03.1 miles | 06m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/33
Overall: 15/197
Performance: Average
Mile 1 - 5:25 Mile 2 - 6:01 Mile 3 - 6:00 0.1 - 1:17
Course: Had a couple good hills in it. A couple out-and-back style turnarounds. Those are such momentum killers! But it was smooth and completely car-free.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-05 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Firecracker 5k

2006-07-05 8:36 AM
in reply to: #473908

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Firecracker 5k

Congratulations, that is a very good time. Was it a PB?

I hope to be able to go sub 19 minutes too this year

2006-07-05 10:24 AM
in reply to: #473908

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Firecracker 5k
Thanks Mesteren,

Actually, my time was not a PR, but the previous week's race was. I hope that with a well-executed race plan, and a flat course, I can break 18min for a 5k.

Good luck with your goals!
~B
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Firecracker 5k Rss Feed