General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-08 1:34 PM

Subject: Ironman Louisville
I am considering training for Ironman Louisville on August 25th.  I am a fairly inexperienced triathlete having completed four or five sprints and my first two olympics last year.  I am not certain that I'll be able to find the time to train for it, but I am optimistic that I will.  That being said, I don't want to go ahead and pay the registration fee for it because I'm not 100% sure.  My question is, does this Ironman usually sell out, or would I be able to wait until maybe 2-3 months out to sign up for it?  Also, any additional advise would be great!

2013-03-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4652254

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
I was under the impression that it always sells out, but I don't know how far out from the race.  Plan on heat.
2013-03-08 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City

Louisville does not sell out quickly it is actually the one IM that takes the longest to sell out. If you wait you will probably be able to secure a spot within 3-5months from race day.

If you are not 100% certain you will be able to find the time to train for it then why sign up? maybe wait until next year? From what I hear (have never done it) it is a challenging course. Very hot (80-100degrees), non wet-suit swim in a TT fashion, and a rolling bike course which is all hills for 80 miles or so. Also, the run can get hot because its August in Kentucky. If you go into the Iron Distance Forum there is a thread about why Louisville doesnt sell out too quickly and you will be able to get other peoples perspectives. One the bright side, I hear the race finish is great and lodging is not expensive.

2013-03-08 5:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-03-08 6:32 PM

Regular

It will not sell out.

It is challenging.  With that said, I raced it last year as my first Ironman, dont regret it.  Great experience overall.

2013-03-08 6:53 PM

You're currently 24 weeks out from Louisville.  Just because the race may not sell out...it doesn't mean you have a lot of time as far as commiting yourself to training.

2013-03-08 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4652706

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
tri808 - 2013-03-08 7:53 PM

You're currently 24 weeks out from Louisville.  Just because the race may not sell out...it doesn't mean you have a lot of time as far as commiting yourself to training.

Yeah, I might be a little more worried about training time. I'm signed up for Louisville, and I'm about 10 weeks into my training plan. I'm sure it's not impossible, but I'd be concerned about starting from scratch right now, and still having time to taper. There are some HIMs around the same time of year if that might work. 

2013-03-08 9:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
get some 1/2s under your belt, figure out the pace and nutrition and plan for no less than 20 weeks of prep for a full IM distance. why rush it? 2-3 months of training for a full might allow you to complete it, but not sure how enjoyable it would be in terms of the experience.
2013-03-09 7:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

I was also considering Louisville and would start using the BT Beginner IM plan which is 20 weeks so there IS still time to get started on a plan - I believe the 20 weeks start in April. I'm starting it with a strong base of 2 early spring HMs and doing an Oly about a week after the plan starts. The plan calls for 60 mins swimming, 60 mins running and 90 mins biking so it IS doable. 

It does sell out - I believe last year it sold out some time in June, so you will have to commit early but it's not a year out like some IMs. If you use the BT beginner IM plan, you'll only be a few weeks in so consider that. 

I've decided to scratch Louisville though, in favor of another, more local, iron distance race because it's a lot cheaper - I can't justify spending close to $2000 for entry fees and a mini vacation. The distance is more important to me than the "Ironman" name, so I'm going local. 

I mention this because if you're looking to do the distance rather than get the Ironman moniker, you may want to look for a smaller, local race to target. You can start training and determine whether you're going to be able to put the hours in before you lay out the cash. 

Bottom line - take the distance seriously. Louisville has one of the slowest average times for the distance because of the heat and the (moderate) hills on the bike course. The warm swim means you don't have a wetsuit to use as a crutch so the swim can take more out of you than others. 

Hope that helps!

J

2013-03-09 1:56 PM

Veteran
austin, Texas
Just a different perspective... I did a 24 week plan last year and got burnt out by the end. To the point where i just couldn't be bothered to train. This year i did a 17 week plan and am aiming to do significantly better than last year. You have plenty of time to train IMO if I want to finish. In my experience nothing makes your mind up quicker and gets you focused like signing up
2013-03-09 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4652953

Expert
Muncie, IN

" The plan calls for 60 mins swimming, 60 mins running and 90 mins biking so it IS doable."  Not to argue, but I finished IMLOU last year and there is no way I would have been able to finish if this is all I did in a week. (Had a solid base to start with too)

2013-03-09 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4653155

Veteran
asheville, nc
Afletcher - 2013-03-09 3:00 PM

" The plan calls for 60 mins swimming, 60 mins running and 90 mins biking so it IS doable."  Not to argue, but I finished IMLOU last year and there is no way I would have been able to finish if this is all I did in a week. (Had a solid base to start with too)

He probably meant that it calls for being able to do those distances in week 1.  I did this plan when I trained for IMAZ and it takes you up to 6 hours on the bike, 3 hours of running and a 4000 yard swim for the max's.  

2013-03-09 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4653187

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
RookieIM - 2013-03-09 3:49 PM
Afletcher - 2013-03-09 3:00 PM

He probably meant that it calls for being able to do those distances in week 1.  I did this plan when I trained for IMAZ and it takes you up to 6 hours on the bike, 3 hours of running and a 4000 yard swim for the max's.  

Right on - that's the base you need before starting the plan - i.e. what you'd need to have in the second week of April to be able to start the plan on time. The plan does add more later!! Should've made that clearer! 

2013-03-10 1:00 PM

New user

Learn them, Know them, Live them....

The Four Keys to Ironman Louisville. These four videos will make your life much easier on race day. I promise. Only if you listen to the man and follow what he says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-U-Uc0BFyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xZ9VsyMlXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdRcmNktBC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRmP0Koc2Zg

2013-03-14 11:03 PM

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Absolutely do not sign up for an Ironman until you are absolutely certain you are fit enough to race it, and finishing is a certainty no matter how bad things get.
2013-03-15 3:36 AM

Nothing is certain. Aiming for things beyond ones grasp is how to reach new heights.

Edited by Alphamale 2013-03-15 3:36 AM

2013-03-15 4:46 PM

Regular

I looked forward to the difficulty of this race, yet underestimated it.  The heat is definately a zapper.  Ambulances everywhere on the run course picking up those with heat stroke / related problems.  

I didn't appreciate how hard the fist part of the swim would be.  I thought time trial, no problem, everyone in a line.  I started towards the back -- wanted extra sleep and didn't want to wait in the line forever.  By the time I got in the water the marina section behind the island was VERY choppy and VERY crowded.  And there is nowhere to go to get free space.  Overall not a good swim for me.  Even though time trial, not for the inexperienced.

That being said I agree with above that nothing gets you more prepared than signing up.  It was open very late last year but did eventually sell out.  The finish line was the best part of the course (not very exciting - esp run)

2013-04-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4661788

Veteran
Tennessee
hornjs - 2013-03-15 4:46 PM

I looked forward to the difficulty of this race, yet underestimated it.  The heat is definately a zapper.  Ambulances everywhere on the run course picking up those with heat stroke / related problems.  

I didn't appreciate how hard the fist part of the swim would be.  I thought time trial, no problem, everyone in a line.  I started towards the back -- wanted extra sleep and didn't want to wait in the line forever.  By the time I got in the water the marina section behind the island was VERY choppy and VERY crowded.  And there is nowhere to go to get free space.  Overall not a good swim for me.  Even though time trial, not for the inexperienced.

That being said I agree with above that nothing gets you more prepared than signing up.  It was open very late last year but did eventually sell out.  The finish line was the best part of the course (not very exciting - esp run)

Do you remember how late registration was open? I made a deal with my wife that I wouldn't sign up for this race until I completed my 70.3 in May. Even though I have been secretly training for it.Cool

2013-04-02 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4661788

Veteran
asheville, nc

Not to hijack, but this is sort of related to Louisville.  Hypothetically speaking, if one wanted to tackle Kona one day would the weather conditions at this race give you an idea of what to expect at Kona?  I realize that most likely nothing compares, but I live in Asheville, and I can find plenty of mountains to train on, however, I will never be able to truly experience the heat and humidity (and probably not the winds either) of Kona.  Heat/humidity are my kryptonite so I want to race in similar conditions to figure out if I can actually handle it.  I can't imagine getting into Kona and not finishing.  

So i'm just wondering, since this is a race that's relatively easy to get into, if its worth doing it as a test to myself as to whether I can survive those conditions and if they compare to Kona.  

2013-04-02 4:00 PM

Elite
N Carolina
I had a friend who raced IM Coeur d'Alene in late June 2012 then waited a few weeks and decided to sign up for IM Louisville.  So, Louisville was open until at least the early part of July in 2012.
2013-04-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4683705

iruptacopula - 2013-04-02 1:14 PM
hornjs - 2013-03-15 4:46 PM

Do you remember how late registration was open? I made a deal with my wife that I wouldn't sign up for this race until I completed my 70.3 in May. Even though I have been secretly training for it.Cool

This made my day!

Hope you make it to Louisville!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed