4th Dimension Racing
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 24s
Overall Rank = 751/1737
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 83/280
Pre-race routine:

Quick note on pre-race: I came down with a terrible sore throat the day before and by bedtime could not swallow or talk at all. Took a lot of vitamin C, other meds, and somehow I managed to drag my arse out of the house to head to the race. It was sunny here but when I dropped down to the lake it was pure fog! And 27 degrees!
Event warmup:

Hit the porta potties a couple of times, found a bunch of friends, did the coat check thing. Once we started lining up, I got into the 8-9 min/mile pace group which was good, as it wasn't too annoying nor crowded (which I thought it might be).
Run
  • 1h 58m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

As I had a head cold, my only expectation was to finish, calling it a training run prior to the Vancouver Half on May 6. I felt really good for about 6 miles and then started fading. Still, I powered through as best I could and did ok. I ran this race for my friend Mark, who unfortunately was spinal cord injured this week. I knew he would do anything to be whining about legs being sore or tired today--so I just HTFU and went on about my business.
What would you do differently?:

Not be sick!
Maybe carry a water bottle to be able to hydrate more? Although there were plenty of water stations. At one station I knew about 7 people and they all tried to hand me water at the same time, that was funny.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a couple of coconut waters and a chocolate milk, and then found out that my friend was in the ambulance after having a major asthma attack. She ended up being transported to the hospital, and since I am her emergency contact, I went there too and spent the rest of the day helping to get that sorted out. So I didn't do a very good warm down, although I did stretch a little and took some ibuprofen a few hours later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick!

Event comments:

It's been fun watching this race grow year by year! My friend is the RD and I am really proud of the work he has done to make it a top-notch event. I'll definitely keep doing it. It's great to have an early season half marathon on the books!

Last updated: 2013-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:24 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 83/280
Overall: 280/1737
Performance: Average
Mile 1 8:40 Mile 2 8:46 Mile 3 8:46 Mile 4 8:55 Mile 5 8:52 Mile 6 9:00 Mile 7 9:04 Mile 8 9:09 Mile 9 9:01 Mile 10 9:20 Mile 11 9:24 Mile 12 9:22 Mile 13 9:21 394 ft 8:43
Course: Flat course starting in Marymoor Park heading to Lake Sammamish State Park in Issaquah. Mostly paved and packed gravel, although we had to divert to sidewalks for a couple of miles due to construction. The last couple of miles were irritating, winding back and forth through the huge parking lot....I would say it was like Disneyland--just when you think you are at the front of the line, suddenly you realize you have a whole lot more line to stand I'm. In this case, a whole lot more running to do. But once we made it through that it was around a little corner to the finish line, which was really fun, lots and lots of people there cheering!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-09 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

2013-03-09 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4653332

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon
Awesome day!  Bummed I had to miss the BT get-together due to my friend's medical stuff...but there will be another!
2013-03-09 10:48 PM
in reply to: #4653333

User image

Master

Great job out there, Leslie. In spite of your cold, your pacing is really consistent and you are very strong!!! I hope Nancy is OK??? I saw someone with medics at the end but she was puking into a bag (or so it looked) and I didn't even recognize her.

Which hospital? We ended up at Overlake with my daughter and a broken arm around 4:30pm...

Onward to Vancouver!!!!

2013-03-11 12:04 PM

User image

Seattle
Great job and so sad to miss you! I hope your friend is alright!
2013-03-12 6:53 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job powering through the race with the cold and the issues with your friend.   Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Rss Feed