General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-diabetic? How did that happen?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-11 5:56 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Pre-diabetic? How did that happen?!
I have been a lurker on BT for some time but now I have a question I need help with. I just turned 40 and decided it would be a good thing to finally establish a relationship with a primary care physician and have a full checkup. I had blood work done and got my results today. I was shocked to hear that i was pre-diabetic!! I have NEVER been overweight. I am 5'4" tall and 123 lbs. The most I ever weighed was 130 lbs. I work out 6 days a week. Spin, total body conditioning, yoga, running, x-fit. I've been doing sprint tris for a few years and do a few 5k's a year. My diet is healthier than anyone I know. I haven't had a regular soda in over 20 years, I don't eat much candy or desserts... I look at the sugar content in every yogurt I buy! She told me that in my case it is genetic. I certainly don't want to become diabetic. I am not sure what else I can do to prevent it. Any others in this situation?

2013-03-11 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4655723

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Pre-diabetic? How did that happen?!
An option for you is to join us in the ketosis thread in nutritional cafe. You may be so carb sensitive that ketosis is what you need. One of the most severely diabetic type two people I know is thin as a rail. It does happen. Grains will spike your blood sugar and stimulate insulin response even wuicker than sugar itself. And that means so called heart healthy whole grains too.

Check us out, and the low carb community online. You may find some things that make sense.

2013-03-11 6:35 PM

User image

Queen BTich

If you already stay away from sugars, x2 on the suggestion to stay away from the grains. ^^^

Bummer, sorry about the news.

2013-03-11 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Dumb question of the century...you were fasting when you did the bloodwork, right?

If you really are seeing a PCP for the first time at the age of 40 this might be something that isn't so obvious to you...in theory they should know to tell you to fast, but I mean...they might assume the same thing about someone who is 40...they should *know*.

Based on what you are writing about yourself my first guess would be that you ate something before the test that raised your blood sugar.  Those glucose tests are meant to be done while fasting.

If that's not the case, then..well, yeah...the PCP is right I suppose...genetic...no other explanation.  Did the PCP give you any advice what to do?

2013-03-11 8:08 PM

User image

New user

Yes I fasted. The last thing I ate the night before was at 10pm. The blood test was at 9am. Maybe I am just carb sensitive. I certainly watch what carbs I do eat. Pre gym is a granola bar and coffee. Post gym is usually plain greek yogurt and fruit with kashi cereal sprinkled on it. IF I eat a sandwich for lunch I make it with those paper thin Arnold sandwich thins. Any grain I have at dinner is usually one small serving of brown rice or a baked sweet potato. I almost never eat white bread, white rice or potatoes. Snacks are usually almonds or a handful or protein pretzels. I've eaten this way for years. The Dr wants me to wait a few weeks and redo the blood work.
2013-03-12 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

If as your doctor said, it is genetic, then by definition you really can't do anything to prevent it.  No amount of dieting or exercising will make it go away.  However, if the second test comes back in similar fashion, you will need to learn to monitor and control it to the best of your ability.  That may involve some modifications to your diet, oral medication, or possibly insulin depending on what type of diabetes you have, and how it progresses.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when I was 27, and am now 46.  Like you, I'm 5 ft. 4, and at the time of diagnosis weighed in 108 (my weight was normally around 120 at that time, but I had lost weight due to the diabetes).  I tried to diet and exercise it away, and had a fairly long honeymoon period where my body continued to produce some insulin.  That did not work, but I had to try as I worked through denial that this was going to be a lifelong thing.

So now, 20 years down the road, I have no known "complications".  I've enjoyed a very active life, including lots of running and even some tri's in the last few years.  It's not all sunshine and roses by any means....a daily grind of testing and taking insulin and guarding against the highs and lows but still experiencing some.  It is relentless, but very liveable.

So yours may turn out to be type 1, type 2, or an anomaly on your blood work.  If it is the latter, that's awesome.  And if it is type 1 or type 2, it will be OK, and you will continue to enjoy life with a few modifications.    

2013-03-12 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Did the doc provide you with the actual number for your fasting blood glucose level?  If they said "pre-diabetes" then I'm assuming it was not alarmingly high, but if I were you I would want to know what the actual number was. 

2013-03-12 7:49 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for you info squirt. Yes my fasting blood glucose was 102. I know it varies from state to state. In NJ you are entitled to obtain your test results on your own. Although I couldn't decipher everything, I had the test results in my hand when the Dr called me to chat about the results.
2013-03-12 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4656231

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

That's good, and I'm glad it was not alarmingly high, and that you know the number.  Hopefully the next one will come back a bit lower.  So it's either nothing at all, or you are catching it early.

I developed a bit of mistrust when my OBGYN told me "everying is normal" when I called to inquire.  Since I had all the classic signs of diabetes (extreme thirst, urinating frequently, unexplained weight loss), I requested a copy of the lab results and my fasting glucose was 380.  Yes, I like to see my lab results now .

2013-03-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4656271

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
squirt - 2013-03-12 8:07 AM

That's good, and I'm glad it was not alarmingly high, and that you know the number.  Hopefully the next one will come back a bit lower.  So it's either nothing at all, or you are catching it early.

I developed a bit of mistrust when my OBGYN told me "everying is normal" when I called to inquire.  Since I had all the classic signs of diabetes (extreme thirst, urinating frequently, unexplained weight loss), I requested a copy of the lab results and my fasting glucose was 380.  Yes, I like to see my lab results now .

Ha!  I thought I was the only crazy person that wants the numbers! :D  I understand that sometimes a number is just a number and even if it's "high" or "low" it should be evaluated in relation to a bunch of other numbers...but I still like to have the number in my head.  I'm not necessarily trying to play "internet doctor" or whatever...but these docs see SO many numbers go past their head every day.  They may not connect two time-separated "normal" lab results that indicate a problem...whereas I only have to worry about my OWN numbers and maybe I will catch it.

To the OP...102?  Shoot, I had one that high once and no one told me I was pre-diabetic...of course, I also had vitamin D at 33 or less for years and that didn't concern some of the base docs either so...yeah...I bet if you went and got a second opinion the second doc might not even blink!  But, I am working with military docs and they aren't always the best around...a lot of the flight surgeons have never even done a residency.  *sigh*

2013-03-15 12:47 AM

Expert

110 use to be the threshold, then it was changed to 100.  102 isn't statistically different than 100 for these tests!  Good thing you are getting another test, it could change +- 5 points.  Sort of crazy to call you pre-diabetic and having a genetic predisposition to diabetes based on one test, and that number.  Suggest you see another doctor.

2013-03-22 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
I'm glad I found this thread, since I had a similar experience recently and I am still wondering "what the heck?" I am on a diabetic dose of metformin for another (non-diabetes) problem and my new endocrinologist told me that my Hgba1c levels are on the high end of normal, and this is WITH the medication. She said that means I'm likely pre-diabetic since the level would be a lot higher without the medication. I don't get it, since I'm training, eat pretty healthy, and am at a healthy weight. I actually lost weight when I wasn't training as much but I'm gaining back some muscle since I've stepped it up to 2-a-days to train for a HIM. It runs in my family, but my diabetic grandmother doesn't exercise or eat very well, and my mom reversed her pre-diabetes when she started exercising, and she's healthier now than ever. I guess I just never imagined this happening when I'm living a healthy lifestyle.
2013-03-25 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4656231

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
did they just do a fasting or also a hemoglobin A1c?  that test is more indicative of what your sugars have been for the past 2 months or so.  I'd ask for that test if it wasn't done.  HTH
2013-04-03 5:53 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Google Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. This affects otherwise fit, healthy, non-obese people and is a sort of slow onset autoimmune diabetes. If you have this then oral medications can actually make it worse. Get some more tests done to see if you might have this.

2013-04-25 8:29 PM

I see that you had eaten at 10pm, so do you eat late at night. One thing I can suggest is eat your carbo's early in the day so you can burn them off naturally and eat only fish, chicken, lean beef with some veggies no starch for your eve. meal.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-diabetic? How did that happen?! Rss Feed