USA Productions Events
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 12s
Overall Rank = 46/120
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

I pulled into the Live Oak HS parking lot at 6:30AM, and was shocked by how many people had already arrived. It was pitch-black dark. What was everybody doing up so early?? It took me a lot longer than expected to set up my bike -- either it was because it was my first race of the year or I was sleep-walking. Probably both.
Event warmup:

I didn't time the warmup well at all. After taking so long to set up my transition area and a quick stop at the porta-potty, I had about 10 minutes to warm up. I managed to do some light stretching and a few striders -- not nearly enough to wake me up. {Yawn}
Run
  • 50m 2s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

After a quick warmup, I scurried to get to the starting line on time. The start waves went off pretty quick -- one-minute intervals. My pace went up and down like a yo-yo. I started out at a 7:55 pace for the first mile, which was about right. But I faded a bit on the second mile at 8:24. But then I picked it back up to 7:50 on mile 3. On the second lap, I did pretty much same thing: 7:57, 8:27, 7:50. Last year, it was the same exact story... go figure. There's a slight up-hill on the 2nd and 4th miles, but nothing major. I guess I just don't run well on even-numbered miles...
What would you do differently?:

Hold an 8-min mile pace on miles 2 and 4 -- just do it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I ran about 20 yards past the bike mount line before I hopped on my bike. I was trying to avoid a couple of speed bumps and a car pulling through the parking lot. So I just kept running until it was clear.

I would have preferred a running jump on my bike, but I just didn't feel coordinated enough at the time.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 52s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Mostly steady ride. I let myself fade just a bit on the last two laps. In hindsight, I probably could have kept up the pace, and I still would have had enough gas for run #2.

Continue to push the pace through the entire ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Yikes -- I lost sight of my transition area for several seconds... While we were out on the bike course, the Sprint division participants set up in the transition area. Somehow, my running shoes ended up behind the front wheels of somebody's bike. Messed me up. But I recovered.

Use a permanent landmark to identify my transition area.
Run
  • 23m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I held my pace a little better than Run #1: 7:49, 8:09, 7:37. But it still dipped a bit on mile #2.

I think I had a bit too much left at the end. It probably would have been better to push the bike a little harder, and then try and hang on during the last run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish line area. Drank a couple of bottles of water, ate a burrito. Talked to a lot of friendly co-racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm rarely awake for early AM races. Being that this was the first day of daylight savings time, I was a running/biking sleep-zombie. I'm surprised I can remember enough to write this race report...

Event comments:

Fun race -- good way to start off the season.

More on this race:

Dawn of the Dead – My Annual Pilgrimage to the South Bay Duathlon

Last updated: 2013-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:02 | 06.22 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 0/120
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps around a 5K course. All on pavement. There's a gradual uphill from about the 1-mile marker to the 2-mile marker. Then a gradual downhill back to the Start/Finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:15:52 | 25 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Five laps around a five-mile looped course. There's a 300M climb about halfway through the course. The road gets bumpy on the last mile heading to the Start/Finish area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:53 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Performance: Good
Course: Same as Run #1 -- but just one 5K lap
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-11 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: South Bay International Duathlon

2013-03-11 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4655855

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: South Bay International Duathlon
Nice job out there. I  think I saw you at the finish seeing your picture now.  It was a good race to start the season, but agree, it did feel early!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Bay International Duathlon Rss Feed