General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 Disciplines Festival, East Tawas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-12 7:25 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: 3 Disciplines Festival, East Tawas

I am acting as East Tawas' liason to the local triathlon festival again this year. I am the go between the city, local businesses and the company that owns the event. Having a liason helped solve some of the issues from previous years. Also, I know the guy who was heckling fans 2 years ago on the run course, I asked him about it and he thought he was being funny. I don't know if I ended the problem, he is "that guy", but at least he knows he was being an a$$.

Last year we made some cool changes like making the transition area ITU style. Fans, family, spectators could get up close and cheer you on (or in my case having my 79 year old Dad, who was attending his first tri, telling me stop talking and go faster "you're in a race D#mn it").

This year 3D added on an aquathon. I don't believe he is doing a sprint duathlon.

I know that this year there will be a cross walk between the finish and the transition area. I think the Chiropractor will be at the finish line again this year.

I am looking for your input. What makes a local event cool. What would draw you to a race? The course, branding, swag. Also, what have you seen at races that you think is unique or fun. What makes the race better for your family and friends who go out to watch?

If you have done the race before, what businesses did you go to, if you liked it or not and why. I know most of the business owner's and most of them want to know if there was a problem so they can correct them. I was given some info last year and passed it onto the owners and they were greatful.

I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

2013-03-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4656212

Subject: RE: 3 Disciplines Festival, East Tawas
Tell Kenny to enforce the damn drafting rules.  Ruins this race in the front of the pack every year.
2013-03-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4656473

User image

Expert

borsenik9 - 2013-03-12 9:48 AM Tell Kenny to enforce the damn drafting rules.  Ruins this race in the front of the pack every year.

I know, its an issue every year. I will take some of the heat for last year. The guy I set up to take the USAT official on his bike, showed up with a moped and not his gold wing and then bailed for no reason.

2013-03-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4656525

User image

Master
JBacarella - 2013-03-12 11:09 AM

borsenik9 - 2013-03-12 9:48 AM Tell Kenny to enforce the damn drafting rules.  Ruins this race in the front of the pack every year.

I know, its an issue every year. I will take some of the heat for last year. The guy I set up to take the USAT official on his bike, showed up with a moped and not his gold wing and then bailed for no reason.

You know what they say about mopeds?  Aww, nevermind.

2013-03-24 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN

I did this event in 2010 when the swim was shortened due to poor water conditions (which was the right call) and it was a bit chilly. I thought it was a nice course both on the bike and run. It was a nice layout and a great day all around. I am registered and I'm planning to go back this year.

2013-03-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4672601

User image

Expert
Tri Sam - 2013-03-24 6:19 PM

I did this event in 2010 when the swim was shortened due to poor water conditions (which was the right call) and it was a bit chilly. I thought it was a nice course both on the bike and run. It was a nice layout and a great day all around. I am registered and I'm planning to go back this year.

The water was bad that year. The swim course is the same. We now have an alternate plan for the swim, just in case the wind comes out of the Southeast. Its 2 laps in the harbor. Its a bit more technical, but does not have the current, and is protected. I hope to see you here.

2013-03-25 11:07 AM

User image

Grand Rapids
I did this event last year as my first 70.3.  Kudos all the way around.  I had a great experience.
2013-03-26 5:55 AM

I loved the swim in 2010, and wish it would have been the entire distance.  We are becoming spoiled.  If you can't swim 2000 meters in choppy conditions you have no business signing up for a HIM.
2013-03-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4674394

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

borsenik9 - 2013-03-26 6:55 AM I loved the swim in 2010, and wish it would have been the entire distance.  We are becoming spoiled.  If you can't swim 2000 meters in choppy conditions you have no business signing up for a HIM.

Ben - That would have been half the field that year.

I did the Olympic that year.  It was comical watching the HIM swim.  Most people walked the 'out' portion and a good portion did not swim on the correct side of the buoys on the way back.  They were swimming/walking into the Olympic distance athletes as we went out.

It was a strange decision because the HIM swim is only ~.25 mile swim longer than Oly distance.  I think it is nice they have the option to bring the swim into the marina should the conditions warrant it.  Great Lakes swims can be a wild card although Huron is usually pretty calm on that side.

Also - the swim was in a lot deeper water this year which was very nice!  That was one of my negative comments and they addressed it.  The other was referees on the bike course which was almost addressed.

Great event in my opinion.

2013-03-31 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4674580

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
rymac - 2013-03-26 9:28 AM

Also - the swim was in a lot deeper water this year which was very nice!  That was one of my negative comments and they addressed it.  The other was referees on the bike course which was almost addressed.

Jim knows some of these issues all ready so some of it's just a rehash but may inform those new to the Tawas event.

The deeper water was real nice in 2012.

I loved the swim in 2010, probably the first and only time I'll be heading into shore and hear the announcer stating the leader's name and knowing I wasn't far behind and I spent a lot of time on the bike course all alone until some pack riders flew by me.

I tend to practice in rough water while camping on the Great Lakes or Outer Banks in the Atlantic when the opportunity allows, which made the 2010 swim seem like just another swim.

We really enjoy spending time in the Tawas area and have made this a regular season ending event though I'm not certain I'll be there in 2013.  3D pricing seems a little much with fees it's just shy of $194.  Why I'm not certain, the course support just isn't there with volunteers that have little or no knowledge on what or how to do things.  Like de fizzing cola, knowing what endurolytes are, etc.  The kids have been friendly enough.  No course marshal's on the bike and rampant draft packs.  T shirts that are of very poor quality and not much in the way of swag.  We don't attend the dinner afterwards but do enjoy the raffle.

Not sure if the dinner is what adds the $100 premium from doing an Oly to a HIM.  I certainly hope it's not the sweatshirt that always seem to be colored more for women and my wife steals it every year.   It's not like they have the police involved on the run course and there's still Oly runners out there while I'm doing my first and sometimes still out there while I'm on my second loop.  Things just don't add up to me especially when I look at HFP racing events in Ohio (who have a %20 off coupon this weekend expires tonight) and even without it I can sign up for a year end HIM at Deer Creek for less then $105 with fees up until August sometime.

So all in all 3D is likely driving our clan away this year as it's certainly not the town of East Tawas and all the businesses we frequent in our end of year 4 or 5 day vacation.

2013-04-01 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4680747

User image

Expert
rottieguy - 2013-03-31 10:47 AM
rymac - 2013-03-26 9:28 AM

Jim knows some of these issues all ready so some of it's just a rehash but may inform those new to the Tawas event.

The deeper water was real nice in 2012.

I loved the swim in 2010, probably the first and only time I'll be heading into shore and hear the announcer stating the leader's name and knowing I wasn't far behind and I spent a lot of time on the bike course all alone until some pack riders flew by me.

I tend to practice in rough water while camping on the Great Lakes or Outer Banks in the Atlantic when the opportunity allows, which made the 2010 swim seem like just another swim.

We really enjoy spending time in the Tawas area and have made this a regular season ending event though I'm not certain I'll be there in 2013.  3D pricing seems a little much with fees it's just shy of $194.  Why I'm not certain, the course support just isn't there with volunteers that have little or no knowledge on what or how to do things.  Like de fizzing cola, knowing what endurolytes are, etc.  The kids have been friendly enough.  No course marshal's on the bike and rampant draft packs.  T shirts that are of very poor quality and not much in the way of swag.  We don't attend the dinner afterwards but do enjoy the raffle.

Not sure if the dinner is what adds the $100 premium from doing an Oly to a HIM.  I certainly hope it's not the sweatshirt that always seem to be colored more for women and my wife steals it every year.   It's not like they have the police involved on the run course and there's still Oly runners out there while I'm doing my first and sometimes still out there while I'm on my second loop.  Things just don't add up to me especially when I look at HFP racing events in Ohio (who have a %20 off coupon this weekend expires tonight) and even without it I can sign up for a year end HIM at Deer Creek for less then $105 with fees up until August sometime.

So all in all 3D is likely driving our clan away this year as it's certainly not the town of East Tawas and all the businesses we frequent in our end of year 4 or 5 day vacation.

I'm sorry we may not see you here this year. Pricing is the one thing I know I can't help you with. I'm trying to get the volunteer's earlier and get them somewhat trained. I didn't think the swim in 2010 was bad, but 90% of my swimming is done on the lake side of the point. So the bay seems warm and calm to me.

Edited by JBacarella 2013-04-01 9:56 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 Disciplines Festival, East Tawas Rss Feed