4th Dimension Racing
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 43s
Overall Rank = 410/1737
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 29/280
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6, granola/soy milk and coffee at home. Met Steve and Ryan in Issy to drop two cars then pooled back to the start. Hung out in the car, jammed some Foo Fighters, walked out on Steve in the middle of a long conversation (ADHD moment plus race nerves -- sorry, pal!), met up with Leann, potty, went to start, learned it was delayed by 15 min., went back to Leann's car, jog a bit, and off we went.
Event warmup:

Jog to porta-potty and back again, wait in car for delay, bounce around in place after lining up. Met Steve's sissy, hung with Steve and Leann, off we go!!
Run
  • 1h 47m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Did this race last year and went out too hard and had a miserable last 7 miles. Was determined not to repeat that fiasco again. I've been doing more tempo and speed work and running well (thanks to RP's expert guidance!), so I was anxious to see what I could do. Wasn't quite sure how to pace it, as I wanted to leave it all there but also not die. Went out aiming for 8:20's and was mostly there. Had a random fast mile 5, not sure why. Kept an eye on pace and RPE, tried to feel how things were feeling. Wanted to build but also wanted to finish strong.

Had a couple of mental moments of weakness. Around mile 7-ish I was doing math of how I could just run the same speed for the rest of the race and PR, so just hold steady -- I can do this. Then I didn't want to run anymore, blech. So I ate two Honey Stinger Chews, as when I get negative my attitude often improves with a few calories. That did the trick for a bit.

During the super-duper-short hill up to the road, Leann passed me. Love her, but all I thought was, "Bitch!! She said she was going to run 8:45's!!! 8:45's, my ass!!! Jeff is gonna be mad at her this afternoon!!" And then I thought I should stay with her, but also needed to run my own race. We had a false flat there too and my mind was in the stinker. Ugh, I was NOT going to be able to build anything in the last 5K. Ate my other two Honey Stingers and aimed to get to work.

"Pull the trigger slowly. Build into the 5K. See what's in the tank." I kept telling myself these things. And I tried to build to see what was there. Mile 11 was an 8:06, good. Then it was into the Disneyland-switchback-mindfuck portion of the race. Mental grind. Hang on. Push to the end. Push to the end. You've got this. Mile 12 was 8:06. Good. One more mile. Well, 1.2 miles as I was about .1 behind the mile markers, ugh. Hang on. Less than 10 minutes. You can do anything for 10 minutes. Tried to do math to see if I had the PR (did a lot of math the last 3-4 miles) -- I couldn't figure it out. Part of me thought I could do a 10:00 mile and still PR, part of me thought if I didn't do an 8:15 or better I was screwed. Held on, never saw mile marker 13, but then glory!!! The end came before the 13.22 I was expecting (I clocked 13.14). Bam!!! Did it!! Two-minute PR.
What would you do differently?:

I've never run a race w/o my watch and sometimes I'm curious if it holds me back. Looking at my last 3 miles, I obviously had more in the tank. My two slower miles should have been faster. I could probably find a few more seconds earlier on too. Still, it was fun to run hard and finish strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed drinks and food and looked for Steve, Ryan, and Leann. I was on a time crunch. Ryan was leaving me if I wasn't in at a 1:45. Steve was giving me until 1:46. Shit, I did a 1:47 and where was everybody???!!! Looked around quickly and did not find people. We were dumb and didn't have a specific meeting plan, so I started hoofing it to the cars because I was NOT going be the one to make Ryan late for his own wedding. I haa a very brisk walk to the car, and I think it really helped my recovery. No one was there, so I ended up waiting around, but kept moving for the most part. Finally hooked up with everyone, back to Marymoor...

Home and took a quick shower then got a pedicure for the night's school auction. Then got a haircut and style for the auction. Went straight from haircut to daughter's soccer game where she was kicking some major soccer ass. Second half of the game, she fell and broke her arm, so instead of the auction we spent the evening in the ER. Sad. But my toes are still pretty and my daughter will heal!! (And we likely saved a shit-ton of money not going to the auction... which we will, instead, spend on medical bills, ha!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me and my brain... need to believe in myself more! Find the scary places and stay there!

Event comments:

The 15-minute start delay was a drag. And I prefer running from Issy to Redmond vs. Redmond to Issy. Wish we could run a bigger loop around Marymoor or Lake Samm Park instead of Disneyland-snake-line to add distance. Still, I'd run it again as it's in my back yard and a nice race.

Last updated: 2013-01-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:43 | 13.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/280
Overall: 0/1737
Performance: Good
08m 16s, 08m 17s, 08m 13s, 08m 15s, 08m 06s, 08m 14s, 08m 23s, 08m 06s, 08m 13s, 08m 25s, 08m 06s, 08m 06s, 08m 05s (7:22 pace last .14)
Course: Flat, some paved, some gravel trail, point-to-point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-03-12 10:42 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon

2013-03-12 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4657573

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Lake Sammamish Half Marathon
You are one tough mo-fo, Kyla.  Love how all your hard work and training paid of.  That's a HUGE pr.  Congrats.
2013-03-13 12:10 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Love the Disney QUOTE.... SO SO TRUE!! I also love you stated that mental side of things... Remember... The half is a build for your big goal in May.  Ryan and I will get you in the "hurt locker" when the time is right and we will hold it for a while.  It helps to have company when your in the pain cave.  Especially Ryan and is stories while you can barely breath...  IT HELPS!!
2013-03-13 5:19 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job Kyla.  I love the play-by-play as the miles went by.  You used your mental toughness to get you through it!  Stellar.
2013-03-13 12:03 PM

User image

Seattle
Great job and nice PR! And aaaaaaahhhhmen to that 15 minute start delay. Brrr!
2013-03-14 6:11 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great run Kyla, I use my Garmin during races and look down as it beeps every km to stick to a pre-planned pace. I get this pace from the McMillan calculator and just tell myself to suck it up and stick to that pace however much my brain says no. Worked great for me last year.

2013-03-14 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
You raced this sucka into submission! And brought a big smile to my face. Such grit and determination! Congrats on bringing it home hard.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Sammamish Half Marathon Rss Feed