General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really unsure of what to wear next weekend ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-16 3:39 PM

New user
Outside Nashville
Subject: Really unsure of what to wear next weekend ...

The extended forcast is showing a high of 50 and a low of 37 for my Triathlon in a week.  This means that when I get to the bike it will more than likely be around 40.  Currently @ 40-50F I wear cycle shorts with tights over them, fitted LS shirt, LS cycle jersey and a jacket.  This is my first Tri and I cant seem to figure out what I should be wearing.  It is a 300m indoor pool swim / 10 mile bike / 5k run.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

**I had planned on ordering a tri suit or a set of bibs but dont know if they would even be worth having due to the weather**

2013-03-16 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4662532

Veteran
Subject: RE: Really unsure of what to wear next weekend ...
Go for whatever is fastest to get on when wet and will keep you moderately warm, you will probably stay warm enough with just throwing on your cycling jacket over your wet Tri kit, maybe also have toe warmers on your bike shoes.
2013-03-16 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Firemedic623 - 2013-03-16 3:39 PM

The extended forcast is showing a high of 50 and a low of 37 for my Triathlon in a week.  This means that when I get to the bike it will more than likely be around 40.  Currently @ 40-50F I wear cycle shorts with tights over them, fitted LS shirt, LS cycle jersey and a jacket.  This is my first Tri and I cant seem to figure out what I should be wearing.  It is a 300m indoor pool swim / 10 mile bike / 5k run.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

**I had planned on ordering a tri suit or a set of bibs but dont know if they would even be worth having due to the weather**

WOW that's CRAZY....It pretty much never gets that cold where I live...ever but I would suggest some kind of skull cap under your helmet to keep your noggin warm.  Definitely gloves and wool socks.  I would suggest biking tights but those are going to be a biotch to get on wet legs.  Get as DRY AS YOU CAN.  Do you get to change inside?  If you can change in a locker room I would change out of whatever you swam in.  Zippered jacket so you don't have to fight that. 

2013-03-16 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

My first race last Dec was in similar temp range.  Tri suit with a cycling shell on top for the bike.  My legs tend to warm up pretty quickly so that wasn't an issue.  I made a mistake and left the shell on during the run.  Got way to hot and ended up carrying it the second half of the run.

Hope that helps.

2013-03-16 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
I find that the adrenaline from the race makes it feel like it is 10 degrees warmer. Also keep in mind that you will be going near all out which will help you feel the cold less. You definitely don't need to bundle up for a race to the same extent that you would for a training ride at the same temp. Personally, if the wind chill is below 40, I will put on a long sleeve cycling jacket before getting on the bike and wear winter cycling gloves. It the wind chill is above 40, I just go with a tri top and tri shorts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really unsure of what to wear next weekend ... Rss Feed