General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Tri Tyler Half : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-17 4:47 PM

User image

Denton, TX
Subject: Tri Tyler Half : Official Thread

OK, who's in?  Let's get some talk going.

Should be hot and hilly - otherwise a walk in the park.  if it was easy, your mom would do it!

Should be fun!  

Will this be a wetsuit tri?

2013-05-03 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4663381

User image

Regular
Canton, TX
Subject: RE: Tri Tyler Half : Official Thread

Still haven't decided on the Half or the Olympic ( already done 2 HIM this year). I really want to do the half but not sure my leg do. I will be there for sure and I have a buddy doing the half.

If it is wet suit legal it will just squeak by. The water has been a little cooler this year but we do live in Texas it could be 90 everyday from know till then or 40.

2013-05-03 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I'm thinking about doing this....but I'd be doing the HIM distance aquabike most likely -- stupid knee injury keeping me from running!

Probably not what everyone would prefer, but I'm hoping for it to be a non-wetsuit legal race!

2013-05-07 9:06 AM

User image

Regular
Canton, TX

Best I can tell water temp is 71

Still 19 days left so it could go either way.

2013-05-16 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Canton, TX
water 75 now
2013-05-17 11:08 PM
in reply to: txjp

User image

Denton, TX
thanks for update. pls send update Thursday if you would. How many 'real' climbs are there on the bike?

2013-05-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: Todd13

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
I am doing the Oly. I would also like to know about the reality of the hills because the website makes it sound serious, lol. I'll pack my wetsuit just in case, but don't expect to need it.
2013-05-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: Todd13

User image

Regular
Canton, TX
Its is tough to say, I ride on hilly courses every day. I have a loop I do twice that has about 3k climb over the 56 miles so this course is like what I train on every week. There are 2 hills of note water tower hill and the other has been called a lot of things thrill hill, hell hill, the beast take you pick. It is about a 3/4-mile hill that you can't see the top of because of a turn so you think your there just to turn and see you’re not even close. But it is a small climb just to get to it so it's a tough section. Then its smooth sailing into Bullard (long slow down hill smooth road). Then comes water tower hill it is a big decent and then climb, it didn't seem as bad to me I stood up and powered over it trying to keep the momentum from the downhill. Both are to be respected but if you put both of them on a flat course you would not worry too much. It’s when you add them with the rest of the field that makes it a tough bike course.

The bike is not the only thing to worry with here; the run course has some real nasty stuff on it too. Its mostly in the shade witch will help but you better save some for the run!

As for the Olympic
I have never road the Olympic course but it does include water tower hill.
The run is on the same course as the half so be ready for some hills. I can't really recall where 3.2 miles would be so not sure if you get into the big hills. If memory serves the bigger hills start at about 3 miles so the Olympic may not be as bad. But there are not any flat spots to speak of on the run except the start and finish (about 1/4-1/2 mile).

Looks like the rain we had cooled the lake a little 72 today at 12:30pm 5/21/13
So definitely thro the suit in. Still a few days left and the water temp can climb fast sometimes
2013-05-21 1:36 PM

User image

Regular
Canton, TX
O I decided to do the half.
2013-05-21 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
When I signed up, I wasn't sure if I would want to do another HIM a month after my first at NOLA. Now I wish I was doing the half, but since I have a local Olympic next Sat it's probably best to reign in my enthusiasm for a better result next weekend.

Thanks for the description of the course. I live in the hills, too, so it doesn't cause much concern. I was just wondering what to expect after reading some comments. I always wonder what conditions those people are used to for comparison. Hills are a matter of perspective. People an hour away come here to ride the hills and think they are so hard. But I did an oly in Chattanooga last year that kicked my butt. So from my perspective... THOSE were hills, lol.
2013-05-23 4:14 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Has anyone received an announcement/update email? I haven't received any communication other than my race confirmation months ago when I registered. I'm leaving in the morning. Wondering if there have been any updates?

2013-05-24 9:08 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Regular
Canton, TX
The water is 76 as of Thursday.
Good luck to all
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Tri Tyler Half : Official Thread Rss Feed